Speed limits

Just come back from my first trip since the new limits. Saw virtually no difference from previous trips. Ok there was the odd car going a bit slow, but then there always was. Kept to smaller D roads, not one gendarme to be seen. We were mainly in the Somme and only saw one speed trap heading up to Boulogne from Etaples in a town. Finding a Potato vending machine in a village was more of a surprise ��

Just back from Correze region. Drove on all types of roads. The 80kmh seems to translate to 100kmh for the majority of French drivers, drop below and get pushed or overtaken, looks like they are sticking two fingers up to the authorities as usual iMO. At one point I was over taken by Jean Claud Vanman on a country road, by the speed differential, ahem, I estimate he was doing 140kmh.

Same as anywhere, steady around villages and near ferry terminals etc. you will be fine.

What, like the huge areas with a 42mph limit on all rural roads, they are the worst of the lot these days....

...or would be if they bothered to Police them heavily.

I just consider it a kind of tourist tax lottery.

Thats because of the treacherous state of many Belgian roads.

Just returned from 10 days in Northern France, visiting some of my favourite areas.
I knew the speed limit had been reduced Nationally to 80KPH (50MPH) except motorways and roads with a central divider. There has been very little notice about this and opinion seems divided in France, some are obeying totally while others are just as crazy as before. Many of the cameras we passed have been bagged and taped up, others have had the lens painted black. I can cope with 50 most of the time but I was really shocked to find every small village and town has drastically lowered limits, cross roads with two houses and a dog kennel are now 50kph, village centres 30kph with massive speed bumps and so many silly roundabouts.
Every village has an illuminated speed indicator, so you dont have a good excuse if the Law catches you.
Setting off from camp at 10:30 and riding until 16:30 with half hour lunch break we could not cover more than 150 miles on normal roads.
We got so fed up we left France and headed through Belgium, what a difference, sensible limits and such a pleasure to ride through the Ardennes.

I came back from the Ardennes through France two weeks ago, mostly on D roads. I saw two policemen on motorbikes, sitting looking bored on one roundabout; I saw no other police activity of any sort. Nobody (least of all me) took any notice of the new speed limits, chiefly because (as with this country) there is nobody to police them. Saw a few fixed speed cameras but they were easy to anticipate as they were signed on the approach. The villages were (not unusually) deserted and easy to just trundle through. All in all, nothing much has changed.

Well, bit bemused by comments regarding the new limits, saying they were not well publicised if at all before they were introduced...well, that may well be the case in the UK, but in France they were often news items ( or the views from both sides of the speed kills debate) from January onwards! It stronglyreminded me of pub on here, with all parties and all commentators talking largely Bollicks!
As for 20 kph thru villages and speed bumps, they have been around for quite some time...and of course, who needs to break the limits thru pretty villages and towns to get their manly rocks off?
May be it was all a bit of shock for the poster, all a bit new?
Pick your road a bit more carefully (I know, I know, you will have to think a bit, don't worry, it gets easier the more you practice) and much speeding can be done if that floats yer boat

I got a letter thru say I got caught doing 120 in a 60 (motorway was at a reduced speed limit not just being a loon) on the road down to the euro tunnel,

still not payed it and head nothing back,

mate of mine had 12 fines and not headed anything :thumby:

Does he play for Liverpool or Everton?

Seriously, everything Macron has touched seems to be turning to shite so, hopefully, someone will see sense. Remember the Austrian 80 kph limit to save the trees?

Back
Top Bottom