Brake pad wear at the rear...

The reason I believe they wear out so quick is its second nature to trail rear brake in when rattling on in corners and this linked braking is already doing it for you so the experienced rider cant tell what already being used which then adds up to twice the pressure on the rear ( its handy if you haven't a clue how to ride ) wish you could turn it off !! its good if you don't have a right leg . Why don't they allow you to adjust preload and damping on each individual shocker with all this wizztrickery available . They've gone key less because half of them are clueless .

Are you sure that's how it works on the GS? On my previous machines (Triumph Tiger 1200) which had linked brakes, if you braked with just the front brake, then it applied the linked braking front and rear. If however you then used the rear brake (or were using it before using the front brake) then the "link" for the linked braking was broken and the front and rear brakes worked separately - and one could feel the difference in the way that the bike braked.

Be interested to know if, on the GS, the link is broken if you use both brakes (and incidentally the wearing of rear pads on the Tigers was just as much an issue, many (like me) got through the original set of rear pads in about 6-7K miles, others would find they lasted a lot longer; having said that when I had mine replaced (down to the metal at 6,250 miles) the OEM set that the dealer put in were still looking good when I sold the bike having covered a further 5k miles. So who knows whether its sets of pads made at a certain time or not; why were my second set of pads lasting so much better than the originals - they were still Triumph pads and I hadn't changed my riding style.

The reason I believe they wear out so quick is its second nature to trail rear brake in when rattling on in corners and this linked braking is already doing it for you so the experienced rider cant tell what already being used which then adds up to twice the pressure on the rear ( its handy if you haven't a clue how to ride ) wish you could turn it off !! its good if you don't have a right leg . Why don't they allow you to adjust preload and damping on each individual shocker with all this wizztrickery available . They've gone key less because half of them are clueless .

Read post 37
Front brake; rear first then front, this steadies the bike.
Rear brake; rear only.

Hi , the gs links the front and rear but as you say if you only use the rear then thats all it uses , the problem I find if your braking little on the front then progress to transfer to the rear I feel the rear brake pedal moves when you let of the front brake which unsettles to be honest , on my 2010 gs which was new I didn't have abs or traction control as a option and remember on a few occasions trailing the rear into a round about and backing it in partly locked the rear then straight on the throttle , you cant do that with abs unless you turn it off.

interesting does this fool the system so it overrides the the front brake using the rear ?

interesting does this fool the system so it overrides the the front brake using the rear ?

No it doesn't. I think that the excesive freeplay on the rear brake lever is due to the linked system. When the front brake is applied it seems to take up this slack.

Back
Top Bottom