Top Dead Centre Tool - 2017 R1200GS Adventure

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've searched everywhere and can't find it. I even called my BMW Dealer (Shock horror) and they couldn't give me an answer so are going to call me back???

Anyone know what tool I need for Top Dead Centre location/lockout on the cylinders for a 2017 R1200GSA?

Haynes Manual mention a BMW tool reference : 110822 (8mm pin one end and 6mm pin on the other end)

Now I know I could use Chop Sticks, Knitting Needle etc to locate TDC, but I was just wondering how much this tool would cost and where I can get it from.

Cheers as always

Steve

BMW Dealer won't sell me this special tool. Only available to BMW Dealers apparently.

Anyone made one of these out of a spare Access Plug?

Drill out centre, tap it with 8mm thread, use hardened M8 bolt and flanged nut?

Bit of DIY but anyone done it?

BMW Dealer won't sell me this special tool. Only available to BMW Dealers apparently.

Anyone made one of these out of a spare Access Plug?

Drill out centre, tap it with 8mm thread, use hardened M8 bolt and flanged nut?

Bit of DIY but anyone done it?

What a shame.
A friend of mine bought one just for use when checking the valve clearance. I don't recall what he paid for it, but I feel certain that it was less than £100.

Anyway, the rear end of a drill-bit and som cut off plastic hose as used for watersystem in caravans used as padding will probably do. It's 8mm dia for TDC and 6mm for BDC.

I know , the Germans like to work in mm with four decimals, but a simple tool will do.

Do you actually need it? I did my valve clearances following JvB directions and found TDC without the pin or the cracking device BMW use to turn the cam sprocket.

What’s wrong with any TDC tool that fits in the spark plug hole? It won’t lock it but you’ll know when you’re at TDC and if you want to know where you are relative to TDC most have graduations on them.

If you want more accuracy you can buy one that takes a DTI and you should be able to convert degrees to distance because you know the stroke.

I don't need it for Valve Checking. I'm confident on that side.

But I'll need it for work on the timing chain, if needed to lock it out.

Do you actually need it? I did my valve clearances following JvB directions and found TDC without the pin or the cracking device BMW use to turn the cam sprocket.

According to the REP DVD you need the tool for checking the valves.

For the check you don't need it, the pistions may be in any position as long as the lobe on the camshaft is not touching the valve.

But if you need to adjust the valve, which means removing the camshaft in order to change the shims, then this tool will be handy.
That said, I have owned quite a few BMWs with shimmed valves, and have yet to need any adjustment.

Thanks Bob, the actual BMW TDC Pin looks a substantial tool.

I see why its priced high compared to other pins.

I might have a go at making one...

What a shame.
A friend of mine bought one just for use when checking the valve clearance. I don't recall what he paid for it, but I feel certain that it was less than £100.

Can your friend still get hold of one? I'd be happy to arrange payment and postage etc?

What’s wrong with any TDC tool that fits in the spark plug hole? It won’t lock it but you’ll know when you’re at TDC and if you want to know where you are relative to TDC most have graduations on them.

If you want more accuracy you can buy one that takes a DTI and you should be able to convert degrees to distance because you know the stroke.

Yeah, thats not what I'm after. I need to lock it out at TDC

Dont go overboard

The BM tool is made to be a dealer tool used daily, so will be engineered to last.

Covered handle etc.

All you need to know is what is the diameter of the inner shaft, & the length .

Its just a piece of bar with one end milled to a smaller diameter - Haynes will prolly say lock the piston at TDC using a xxmm drill bit

Dont go overboard

The BM tool is made to be a dealer tool used daily, so will be engineered to last.

Covered handle etc.

All you need to know is what is the diameter of the inner shaft, & the length .

Its just a piece of bar with one end milled to a smaller diameter - Haynes will prolly say lock the piston at TDC using a xxmm drill bit

Haynes suggest I buy a spare Access Plug, which will already have the correct thread pattern for the engine mount.

Drill out the centre of the spare access plug with a 7.5mm drill bit.

Then use an 8mm Tap with standard pitch to create an 8mm thread pattern inside the spare Access Plug.

Use a hardened M8 bolt (so it doesn't bend if force applied) about 60mm in length and thread a tapered nut onto it, then thread it through the spare access plug.

Idea being the spare access plug will now serve as a temporary holder for the M8 bolt threaded inside it, which can be screwed through the TDC 8mm hole.

Then tighten tapered nut holding M8 bolt secure and steady. All locked down.

Are you getting your winter project ready.

No Bob,

My GSA is over 11,000 miles now and will soon need its 12,000 service.

I'm going to need new tyres (wheel removal and spoke check), new rear brake pads (so caliper removal and clean), rear drive oil (so may remove and grease shaft splines), Oil & Air filters, New Spark Plugs, Engine oil and valve check (so will check chains also).

So a fair bit of work and just getting ready for it.

In the old days ;)

You took it to a Bike mechanic, who rocked the engine to TDC using skill, Knowledge and prehaps a screwdriver to aid him.

In todays cover your arse, and we must be good were teknikans age, we have a tool. ;)

( ie It couldnt be us , we have the correct tool to find TDC ;) )

Stick a "teknikan" in a garage without his maintenance 101 aids, and ask him to find TDC,

or actually diagnose a fault, not rely on a computer to say a component is showing an error!??

Only time ive locked a crank is when doing a cambelt change.

Back
Top Bottom