KTM 525 "Touring"

I'm off to Colorado with this one...

Attachments

• KTM 525.jpg
    KTM 525.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 494
That looks very straight zei220, has it done much?
Did a little more to mine over the last couple of weeks.
After my last run out, both fork seals were leaking. I had changed the oil in them again, and the rebound adjuster on one side still wasn't responding, so I rang the good people at Kais to ask their advice and an estimate for a full service. They have done quite a bit of work for me in the past and I've always been happy with the results. Four days later I have a rebuilt pair of forks, set to my requirements, and fit for another few years!
Also added a back light repeater, never been a fan of being taken in the rear. :D

DSC_1011-L.jpg

And a windscreen, as the windblast blows up under my chin and dries my contact lenses out.
This was a cheap abs copy of a 690 touring screen, modified slightly to fit behind the light mask.

DSC_1059-L.jpg

DSC_1060-L.jpg

Then off for a test ride to see how it all works.

P3010090-L.jpg

Very pleased with the results. Next trick is to test the pannier and rack combination, see if I can get the kitchen sink on.
Mark

That looks very straight zei220, has it done much?.

It's only done 1600 miles.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oh what to do

Oh what to do to it now apart from ride it and start doing some rallies this year, ets see if I can break my wrist again

Attachments

• IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 1,244
Looks like I lost some more photos when I tidied my Smugmug account!

That looks very straight zei220, has it done much?

Also added a back light repeater, never been a fan of being taken in the rear. :D

DSC_1011%20%281%29-L.jpg

And a windscreen, as the windblast blows up under my chin and dries my contact lenses out.
This was a cheap abs copy of a 690 touring screen, modified slightly to fit behind the light mask.

DSC_11059-L.jpg

DSC_11060-L.jpg

Then off for a test ride to see how it all works.

P3010090-L.jpg

Very pleased with the results. Next trick is to test the pannier and rack combination, see if I can get the kitchen sink on.
Mark

Right, where was I?
As the history of the bike wasn't exactly certain, I thought it best to have the motor checked over before relying on it for a long trip. Everything seemed to be ok with it, it runs well and pulls strongly with no odd noises, but better safe than sorry.
I am not that confident with 4 stroke motors though, so sent it off to Triple D Motosport in Kendal after a chat with their mechanic about my intentions and requirements.

DSC_1125-L.jpg

DSC_1124-L.jpg

Whilst the motor was away, I had a list of other little jobs to get on with. I picked up a second hand subframe off ebay that was in slightly better condition than mine, so that went on. The shock and swing arm bushes were replaced, and the wheel adjusters spun out, cleaned up and regreased. All chain sliders and pads were renewed, which confirmed my suspicions of where an annoying noise was coming from. The bottom slider had worn through to metal, but only showed up when I actually took it off! The frame rails were quite rusty and flaking, in keeping with my theory that this bike had been neglected rather than abused. I should really have stripped the whole thing down and sent it to be repainted properly, but I touched it up with silver hammerite instead. The shame...:rolleyes:

The word from the mechanic was that the motor was in very good shape, it would appear that the hour meter was correct, and it hadn't had a hard life. He suggested that it have a new piston and rings as a matter of course, and I agreed, so it arrived back with a clean bill of health ready to go back into action.

Box fresh?
DSC_1154-L.jpg

There's nothing like a tidy workspace....
DSC_1155-L.jpg

Bit of a jiggle here, bit of swearing, et voila!
DSC_1156-L.jpg

Mark

Whenever I start a five minute job, it always turns out a little bit longer. :rolleyes:
While re-routing the wiring through the air box, I was just about to connect the plug to the starter relay when I noticed this:

DSC_1141-L.jpg

Maybe not the best picture, but the red and yellow wire had pulled out of the spade within the plug. I released all the spades and made sure the other two had a good solid contact before stripping the wire to re attach the spade. It had oxidised and I had to cut back a good inch or so to get to clean copper. At least that is one of the poor e-start mysteries solved.

Talking of electrical connectors, I really should have examined the motor and packing crate more closely when I opened it. Turns out one of the stator connectors had got cracked in transit somehow.

DSC_1157-L.jpg

It made a good tight join, so I simply wrapped it in self annealing tape rather than try and cut and join the wires.

After bolting the engine in place and fitting the new silicone hoses, it was finally time to take the bike out of the workshop and see what she starts like. Just fill the rads and put some oil in.

DSC_1159-L.jpg

As I was filling the oil, I noticed a line on the clutch case that I hadn't noticed before. The line turns out to be a crack. :tears

DSC_1158-XL.jpg

Effing UPS have dropped the crate at some point. The double skinned floor has also got a crack in it, explaining both the clutch case and the connector. B*st*rds!
Luckily for me, as these cases are no longer available from KTM, I know where there might be a replacement. Assuming the owner is willing to part with it...…...:D
Thankfully, he was. (Cheers Craig!) Next morning I nipped over to collect it and hurried back to fit it.

DSC_1160-L.jpg

DSC_1161-L.jpg

The case is in similar condition than mine, corrosion wise, but with the added benefit of being oil-tight! After a discussion with Craig, I followed his advice and used a decent gasket sealant as well as the gasket, so couldn't put oil in it for 24 hours.
This turned out to be a blessing, as instead of going for a test ride I got the bike's documents out ready for packing. Better get an Mot before I do anything else! :blast

Looking good, just for reference the side case off the 525 quad fits and has an access plate for the clutch plates as I bought one and fitted it last year.

New Toolbox

I was getting a bit bored and have finally got around to the finishing bits of my rally bike which was a belly pan large enough to take all the tools that you need on a rally as I got fed up of carrying everything in my back pack.

So this is the bike finished now untill the winter when I intend to build a new subframe out of steel box section so I can mount a rack on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 702
Neatly joining a few threads here, see if you can tell which ones they are. :D

P5290107-L.jpg

P5290111-L.jpg

Incidentaly Mark71, the talk at the last picture turned to steel subframes. Mild steel or stainless? Probably as easy to make a couple while you're at it, someone said.......:green gri
Mark

Neatly joining a few threads here, see if you can tell which ones they are. :D

P5290107-L.jpg

P5290111-L.jpg

Incidentaly Mark71, the talk at the last picture turned to steel subframes. Mild steel or stainless? Probably as easy to make a couple while you're at it, someone said.......:green gri
Mark

Had a great day yesterday...………:beerjug: Can't wait for the next one

Back
Top Bottom