Ship bike to USA or hire one there?

Thanks everyone who responded about shipping bikes - or not shipping. I've done the Mustang thing which is what brought me to the bike idea.

And thanks to Wapping for clarity on thee insurance piece. As I'm thinking of going next year (if it's a 3 week trip) or 2020 (if it's 3 months) then maybe that nice Mr Trump will have sorted it out by then.

Cheers

Thanks everyone who responded about shipping bikes - or not shipping. I've done the Mustang thing which is what brought me to the bike idea.

And thanks to Wapping for clarity on thee insurance piece. As I'm thinking of going next year (if it's a 3 week trip) or 2020 (if it's 3 months) then maybe that nice Mr Trump will have sorted it out by then.

Cheers

Hi Nemo

Our trip this year was hampered by not being able to get any insurance anywhere which caused what's left of my hair to fall out. At the time it was impossible to obtain insurance this side of pond from any of the 6 companies I contacted.

Now, just for clarification and before anyone who thinks they know and wants to contribute butdon't know shit, Dairyland were the main suppliers and they have pulled out for at least 2 years and this comes from the top bod there. The other main provider, Progressive, have also withdrawn from the market.

I've heard of one or two guys who have shipped this summer and managed to get cover locally but I don't know who with. I understand some AAA offices may do it but I don't know. I also know there are 6 UK riders riding down from Alaska who couldn't get cover of any sort but are chancing it which I think is either very brave or very stupid. Each to their own but I declined this option for my trip!!

There is a Mexican company who have started offering 3rd party only insurance to Europeans so there is minimum cover available.

I've fairly certain someone will be along before next summer to offer a decent cover and will keep everyone updated as to when this happens.

For now Nemo, get yourself a big map and start planning and if I can help with routes, shipping etc etc please let me know.

know. I also know there are 6 UK riders riding down from Alaska who couldn't get cover of any sort but are chancing it which I think is either very brave or very stupid.

For all the bikermate gung-ho spirit, that's is an incredibly stupid thing to risk. The chances of it going wrong are of course small. The possible financial consequences if it does, extreme. Nobody is going to see the funny side of it if it all goes badly wrong in Uncle Sam’s backyard.

Thanks to Sgt Bilco and Wapping for the voices of reason. I saw an article where a tourist fell and broke their ankle about 4 blocks from a hospital. The ambulance bill for about a 1 mile ride was over $2000 and the treatment was even more eye wateringly expensive. When I go to the States I want to know that if I stub my toe in the bathroom then my insurance will medivac me back to the UK first-class. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I see insurance as one of those things that everyone resents paying for but when you need it you can never have enough of it.

So my plan is now based on shipping out and making a choice between a US Civil War sites based tour along with decent roads (and Deals Gap just for the tick), or Colorado, Utah, Wyoming. I love poring over maps!!!!!

Thanks again.

Not wishing to get into a protracted discussion on what (and what isn’t) possible vis-a-vis insurance of UK registered vehicles in America on a temporary basis, I think that Sgt Bilko’s problem revolved around his regular insurer / agent pulling out of the business. The bod Outtomunch mentions did indeed arrange local insurance (seemingly quite easily) but it was third party only, not Fully Comp.

That’s fine, providing someone doesn’t think their awesome is going to be destroyed / nicked whilst across the pond.

Having anything less than fully comprehensive on anything, from me, to my bike, my car, or my parrot, in the US would not be an option for me, given their fondness for their legal system.

Thanks to Sgt Bilco and Wapping for the voices of reason. I saw an article where a tourist fell and broke their ankle about 4 blocks from a hospital. The ambulance bill for about a 1 mile ride was over $2000 and the treatment was even more eye wateringly expensive. When I go to the States I want to know that if I stub my toe in the bathroom then my insurance will medivac me back to the UK first-class. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I see insurance as one of those things that everyone resents paying for but when you need it you can never have enough of it.

So my plan is now based on shipping out and making a choice between a US Civil War sites based tour along with decent roads (and Deals Gap just for the tick), or Colorado, Utah, Wyoming. I love poring over maps!!!!!

Thanks again.

If you’re on advrider.com there are quite a few there that would be prepared to either lend you a bike, sell you one, or get you to deliver your bike to another member on the other side of the country.

A pal of mine bought a bike unseen from California, advertised the same bike on the same site for $500 less, with NY as the collection city, and sold the bike before he’d even bought it, with an agreed drop off date.

Having anything less than fully comprehensive on anything, from me, to my bike, my car, or my parrot, in the US would not be an option for me, given their fondness for their legal system.

Like here, the US legal system (and potentially your wallet) is only bothered about the insurance of the third party aspect of your vehicle hooning.

Whether you chose to additionally insure the substance your body, your vehicle itself or your parrot is entirely up to you. They don’t give a feck. Of course not having decent Travel insurance for the US (or anywhere else) is pretty damned stupid but people on this site do sometimes advocate not buying it, as it’s a rip off and they’ve never needed it.

A few years ago, following a shitty divorce a former colleague of mine bought a small Yamaha on the East Coast, rode it across and sold it a few weeks later for almost the same as he bought it for on the West Coast.

Another option....

Three weeks along with riding maybe 6,000 miles is where it might make sense to just pick up a used bike. You might pay just slightly more buying one from a dealer but that's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. You could have them get it ready for you with new tyres, fresh oil, inspect the battery, chain, and even valve clearances if due, for peace of mind and so you don't have to worry about any of that. Probably could help out with paperwork and insurance as well. Prices generally seem to be a little less in the east or south so buying there then selling in Cali could be an option. Or just find someone who'll store it so someone else can fly over and ride it.
A couple examples from a BMW dealer in PA that I frequent. They keep a lot of used bikes and they'll deal off their advertised prices or might be able to have him include the maintenance and prep.

Just a couple examples;

Would want a set of toss over saddle bags along with a dry bag to carry on the back for these two.

$5,000 Versys 650 ABS https://www.kissellmotorsports.com/...=5820111&p=2&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

$3,800 Suzuki Bandit 1250 https://www.kissellmotorsports.com/...=5751039&p=3&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory. Hell at this price you could throw it away after your trip and it'd probably still be cheaper than renting.

$6,800 R1200R with Sargent seat, hard bags, touring windshield, etc.
https://www.kissellmotorsports.com/...=5672468&p=3&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

Or I'll sell you my 2015 Road King. :D

Apologies if I’ve missed something obvious, but if I flew to the USA, would I be able to buy a bike from a dealer (or individual), and Insure it, as a U.K. resident..? And then sell it, or ship it back to the U.K. afterwards..?

I was thinking of a Salvage title HD Ultra. Ride it for a month or so, end up in Toronto and Air Canada it back on the same flight as the bike.
Paperwork will be the only hassle, I am pretty sure if you walked into a AAA office they will insure you. Americans are helpful and have a chilled can do attitude.
So:
USA address (could be the dealer).
Temporary registration.
Insurance.
Export documents.
HEALTH INSURANCE (the most difficult).

....So my plan is now based on shipping out and making a choice between a US Civil War sites based tour along with decent roads (and Deals Gap just for the tick), or Colorado, Utah, Wyoming. I love poring over maps!!!!!

Could do mostly both; 1 week in the east Civil War sites, three days riding to Colorado, 1 week riding Colorado, 3 days riding back east or continuing to Cali.

Not wishing to get into a protracted discussion on what (and what isn’t) possible vis-a-vis insurance of UK registered vehicles in America on a temporary basis, I think that Sgt Bilko’s problem revolved around his regular insurer / agent pulling out of the business. The bod Outtomunch mentions did indeed arrange local insurance (seemingly quite easily) but it was third party only, not Fully Comp.

That’s fine, providing someone doesn’t think their awesome is going to be destroyed / nicked whilst across the pond.

Having lived there for 7 years I can assure you that there is no such thing as fully comp or third party in the USA insurance market. Scary as shit but even when you opt for the max coverage in all 7 categories they ask you about its still not fully comp simply because they don't have universal single payer health care and the insurance companies limit their liability. so even with the best insurance be prepared for the possibility of being bankrupt in the event of a accident.

Riding a motorcycle has its own risks........... to compound with slightly less than iron-clad medical/accident/motor/travel insurance is REALLY playing the odds with your life, and those in your immediate family...............

There are plenty of folk in the world who are now saying "What the fuck was I thinking??"

There are all sorts of opinions here and yes there are different ways you can get to ride in the states.

I'll just say this, skimping on insurance, bike or medical, in the USA is simply not worth the risk. I've ridden over 100,000 miles out there over the last 13 years and I always make sure I get the very best cover I can. Skimp on anything else if you want but don't take a chance on it not being good enough.

I've had to deal with the aftermath of of the worst kind of motorcycle accident and believe me, if there hadn't been full insurance cover the fallout would have been 10 times worse than it was for all concerned.

I've been given a "Pink Chit" by SWMBO for a trip to the USA and I'm now in the very early planning stages. It will be a solo trip lasting maybe 3 weeks and at the moment I'm favouring a coast to coast. However, one thing I haven't worked out is whether it's better to take my bike or hire one there.

If I hire one there it may be cheaper(?) than shipping but I might end up on a Harley and I'm not familiar with them - I'd prefer a GS. A Hire bike might also mean I'm restricted to a circular route which I can plan easily enough. Companies like Eagle Rider get mixed reviews.

For a 3 week trip is it worth shipping? If you've done either I'd welcome your views.

I think it can be worth as you staying for 21 days. You can enjoy properly by your own bike which i think.

You can check Citizenshipper for you bike shipping

Anyway, Here is some good tips that you need to do when you do ship no matter who it's with!!!

1: make sure you use good padding to protect the product and not so much that it bulges the box to much.

2: If there is other labels on the box especially with any kind of bar code use a black permanent marker and mark out the bar code and numbers if you can not remove or cover them up.

3: When you tape the label on it use clear packing tape and cover it up completely so that it will be protected from the weather.

4: Tape the box shut very well and I recommend you put some extra tape along the bottom just as added security. Yes a box from your LBS will have staples and glue holding it together but don't trust them I've seen them come apart.

Back
Top Bottom