Iv'e gone old school

rocky burns

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Mid wales Where roads were built for bikes
Xt500e

Been with the last owner since 1980.

Its totally original with 15,000 miles on the clock..

Just wandering if I go down the route of a refurb of do I leave the old patina of what it is?

Any way, i'm off for a play on it :D

Xt500e

Been with the last owner since 1980.

Its totally original with 15,000 miles on the clock..

Just wandering if I go down the route of a refurb of do I leave the old patina of what it is?

Any way, i'm off for a play on it :D

That looks great fun :)

I'm in the same position with an old Bultaco and thought I'd settled with a quick tidy and just ride the fecker...........it's now turned into a full refurb :blast Looking at yours though I think if it were me I'd leave it alone, it looks just right as it is.

Andres

It's got a non original exhaust and the box mounted below the right hand side side panel is missing :rolleyes::D

Oh ye... Apart from that.. The original exhaust was left in a different shed that was damp, its got more holes in it than a sive. The box you are on about is part of the collector box on the same section.
You can still get them new but at £700 it wont be just yet:thumb

If you can start it and enjoy riding it, just leave it as is, ride and maintain it.

No electric start on an XT500 :dabone

I sort of knew that, but with the e on the name made me ask the question. I had an XT600e where the 'e' did denote electric start.

Not allowed to ask a question without getting the finger? Thanks mate.

If they are bought cheap enough they are a great investment,better than money in the bank, if you know where the set spot is when kicking it they start easily.

Attachments

• B324AC7A-EEAE-4D3B-A4F4-5304D2FC7ACA.jpg
    B324AC7A-EEAE-4D3B-A4F4-5304D2FC7ACA.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 604
If they are bought cheap enough they are a great investment,better than money in the bank, if you know where the set spot is when kicking it they start easily.

Set ,should read sweet spot.

I want one. I've always wanted one since first saw one.

I went for broke and bought a brand new TT500 when I was working in Jo’burg in 1980 and thrashed it every time I ride it, crashed it countless times then sold it the same day I flew home after planning to ride it but bottling it a week before I should have set off :blast

I was only 23, it was a long way to ride on my own and I’ve always regretted not going for it :rob

Give it a deep clean, a full service, fix whats broken and dont restore it. You cannot buy patina, and an unmucked about with unrestored original timewarp machine will always be worth more in the long run than a resto.

Its only original once etc etc.....

Given where you live, with the access to the lanes you have have got, leave the aesthetics well alone.
Just ride it, it would be criminal not ride that for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom