Tyres - my thoughts and

Bridgestone A41s atm and I think they are really good. Loads of grip wet or dry and quiet. I like them.

So after weighing up a few thoughts I have ordered Roadtec 01s and aim to get them fitted tomorrow afternoon. They were more expensive than the PR4/5 trails which were very similar money to each other. PR5 Trails were not in stock and would take 3 days to get from the factory. that didn't influence my decision.

Depending upon how the 01s perform I might go to PR5s next

So after weighing up a few thoughts I have ordered Roadtec 01s and aim to get them fitted tomorrow afternoon. They were more expensive than the PR4/5 trails which were very similar money to each other. PR5 Trails were not in stock and would take 3 days to get from the factory. that didn't influence my decision.

Depending upon how the 01s perform I might go to PR5s next

Looking forward to your report on them, after a few hundred miles.

Bridgestone A41s atm and I think they are really good. Loads of grip wet or dry and quiet. I like them.
The a40 are great done 6k so far and only half worn so expecting 10 k out of them imo good grip both wet and dry with long life so the a41should be better

Fitted the Roadtec 01s today, first impressions very good.

I like Annakee 3s, no problem with grip at all. After my first set on the GSA, I switched to PR4s and 3k miles of mixed roads (I rarely use motorways) along with 3 punctures the rear is shot.(I'm now shit hot with my stop n go kit though )

I'm fitting a PR4 GT to the rear this weekend so I can get more life from the front, but then back to Annakee 3s for me, relatively cheap and good wear and grip.

People who complained of them being noisy, have you ever listened to your motor

I like Annakee 3s, no problem with grip at all. After my first set on the GSA, I switched to PR4s and 3k miles of mixed roads (I rarely use motorways) along with 3 punctures the rear is shot.(I'm now shit hot with my stop n go kit though )

I'm fitting a PR4 GT to the rear this weekend so I can get more life from the front, but then back to Annakee 3s for me, relatively cheap and good wear and grip.

I can’t hear the motor over the tyre noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I misread the last sentence and wondered how Fluffmeister knew my mother :D

Best street tire currently for fast road riding on the GS-LC is the Conti RA3...:thumb2
Amazing tire !

Haven't tried all those wonderful tyres but I might give this a better read when I do change them.

The only thing I will say about the Anakees having had them on this and the previous bike is that they are noisy beasts but ever so good in the wet. Not that I do much wet weather riding but many of you do. A friend of mine said that the Anakees were the only tyre he's ever known that heat up in the rain almost as much as they do in the dry. I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is on a day when it rains all day but I do know that that is what I would prefer on one of those days when you get patches or spells.

Standard Anakee things were shot by 3000 miles, not even two up use. They were good when fresh but lost shape quick.

Conti Road Attack3;
just back from a 2300mile trip.Ijmuiden, Eifel, Andermatt, Fondo (italy) back via Austria, Germany, Eifel. Already had 1000miles on the tyres so now around 3300 miles.

Superb in all conditions. Racing up Giau pass (naughty, but no saint), In the rain over a pass near Saint Anton. Just cant fault the tyres. Look barely worn with a mix of high speed riding and fast touring with and without luggage. The compulsory speed test on an autobahn was fine with luggage to just over 130mph. Back used right to the edge, faintest strip left on the front.
Very happy with them and at current rate of wear will work out much, much cheaper than Anakee things.

Standard Anakee things were shot by 3000 miles, not even two up use. They were good when fresh but lost shape quick.

Conti Road Attack3;
just back from a 2300mile trip.Ijmuiden, Eifel, Andermatt, Fondo (italy) back via Austria, Germany, Eifel. Already had 1000miles on the tyres so now around 3300 miles.

Superb in all conditions. Racing up Giau pass (naughty, but no saint), In the rain over a pass near Saint Anton. Just cant fault the tyres. Look barely worn with a mix of high speed riding and fast touring with and without luggage. The compulsory speed test on an autobahn was fine with luggage to just over 130mph. Back used right to the edge, faintest strip left on the front.
Very happy with them and at current rate of wear will work out much, much cheaper than Anakee things.

They will lose shape if you do a fair amount of dual carriageway and I expect that to get to places like The Giau pass, you will be doing a fair amount of that. If you do mainly corners (little choice ooop in northern Spain) on scratchy roads they wear pretty evenly. The one thing I have always found with Michelin, though, is that (within reason) no matter their age and wear they keep their properties until the end. Others crystalise much quicker but I am not casting aspersions on any of the aforementioned brands. If they sqare off, that is a different matter, of course, but a few twisties in the dry with plenty of throttle rounds them off again in a few days.

Mine are what the bike came with and they have done 5,000 Kms (3,100 miles), they are half gone only, but relatively evenly worn (I had to get the thing up there and the some of the roads in Castille are pretty straight even if they aren't dual carriageways). I shall report further after the 2-3,000kms they are going to do after our picos tour. I suspect that they will need changing after that and I'm quite happy with 8k (5K) because what I want is great wet wx perf and that the rubber keeps it's properties.

I have heard good things about the Conti's so might give them a try next time.

We planned our routes to avoid as much motorway as we could. Loads of curves and twisty bits. Hence Eifel Park, just over 2 hours from Ijmuiden. good roads can be found with some planning. Andermatt to Fondo passes and twisty roads. Fodno to Beuron same. Beuron to Bittburg via Black forest and Eifel.

Second year we have avoided the boredom of blasting all the way down and back on straight roads.

Agree on Michelins (PR series). They tend to keep shape and grip does not fall of a cliff with wear. Lost count how many PR2s I used back in the day.

It will be interesting to see how the back holds up, NE to Correze in France, two up, luggage, via Dover/Calais crossing. That will be boring straight roads due to time constraints. Probably finish the back off....

Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2, best ever new favorite tyre..........at the moment.
Just got back from 2,200mls of glorious hot and sunny France. I love the feeling of these tyres, they have a flattish profile which means they have neutral turn in and a very secure feel.
They have more than enough grip for my needs, enough to grind the foot brake lever, my bike is a 2017 low chassis GS TE.
I normally get through a rear in about 3,000mls these still have enough tread to take me to 4000mls at a guess, they started with a lot of tread depth.
Definately get them next time, was going to try the PR5 but I don't think they will last as long.
I have not tried them in the wet, a friend on his second set says they are as good as anything else he has tried, that's good enough for me as our riding speed is the same.

Conti RA3 are definitely the best street tires for the GS if you like to rail hard !
Pirelli ST2 are almost as confidence inspiring and probably last an extra 1000 miles but I heard they changed the production from germany to china...:(
Won't buy them again ! (Greedy bastards)

Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2, best ever new favorite tyre..........at the moment.
Just got back from 2,200mls of glorious hot and sunny France. I love the feeling of these tyres, they have a flattish profile which means they have neutral turn in and a very secure feel.
They have more than enough grip for my needs, enough to grind the foot brake lever, my bike is a 2017 low chassis GS TE.
I normally get through a rear in about 3,000mls these still have enough tread to take me to 4000mls at a guess, they started with a lot of tread depth.
Definately get them next time, was going to try the PR5 but I don't think they will last as long.
I have not tried them in the wet, a friend on his second set says they are as good as anything else he has tried, that's good enough for me as our riding speed is the same.

Told ya :rob

Back
Top Bottom