Tyres - my thoughts and

Used redline oil in all my Harley’s and it makes such a difference to the rattles. Still got a 2001 heritage with 56k on it. Replaced the cam chain tensioner last year but the old ones where in great condition due to the oil I use. This one doesn’t rattle either. Once I gat the Gs ran in properly I will be switching to a heavier oil. I have the pullback risers on the GS and it’s a lot more comfortable off to Norway in August so time will tell.

Softail yep makes a difference, all locked tight I had stupid rubber mounted Dynas, shake your teeth out style.....;)

Traded my 2017 ultra limited for the GS. Just fancied a change. The glide was more comfortable but the GS is more fun.
Never had a Dyna only touring and softail.

That's impressive, coming up on 15000km's on PR5's on my TC with surprisingly much rubber left still, gonna aim for 20k on them but we'll see if they last that long.

Dear Woland,

I am about to change my tyres. I am confused by the recommended abbreviations. Can you please confirm the full description please? Are these still a road trail tyre? Assume Michelin

Thanks,

Richard

Dear Woland,

I am about to change my tyres. I am confused by the recommended abbreviations. Can you please confirm the full description please? Are these still a road trail tyre? Assume Michelin

Thanks,

Richard

That would be Michelin Pilot Road 5 Trail to which I was referring :)

i switched from anakees which i had no problem with to TKC 70s and have used light off roading to balls out road riding and cant fault them either. But i will be replacing them with the same as they do everything and suit the bike.
With you all the way on TKC70........:beerjug:

Sadly will never get the PR5 on the GS to the edges as my pegs are already down. PR5 has such steep sidewalls and a very good tyre carcass shape cross section. It is my new favourite tyre with great wet and dry grip. Not _quite_ as good feel as a PST2, but higher grip levels and the rate of turn on tarmac is excellent.

G7L5RebE.jpg

lStwgfR4.jpg

I had Anakee 3 that came with the bike and the road noise was dreadful. I complained to the dealer at the 600 mile service and they changed them at no cost to Tourance Next and they are far better and great in the rain.
Off to Norway in August so time will tell on the longevity of the tyres

Having read recent reports and spoken to local BMW dealers had some PR5's fitted in readiness for a 1500 Scotland trip with friends. Now scrubbed in. Great handling in the dry on local B road twisties. Yet to try them in the wet. Prior to these road Metzeler Tourance Next which I had no complaints wet or dry. Wanted a change and maybe better mileage. Let's see

How the hell can people say Anakee 3s are noisy? they are virtually like slicks with a few slices cut in them? have you ever tried TKC80s? You want noise! Not only noise, but a thumping through the handlebars too, it is like riding a pneumatic drill. The Anakee 3s are smooth, rounded and have virtually no tread to make noise with! I am confused and have wondered if Anakee 3s have changed in the last few months, because I find them quiet, smooth and I have never had a tyre that I could feel the grip with before, but even in standing water on the road they felt secure. I did 440 miles through torrential rain the other day, there was an inch or more of water on the surface the whole way, at one point it came over my boots stood on the pegs (2 feet deep?) water coming over the top of the screen as I forded the flood, but I got through and never felt a squiggle of any kind anywhere on the journey. In the dry they are very quiet, certainly the noise of the exhaust is louder, much louder, than naything else - that and the wind noise.

How the hell can people say Anakee 3s are noisy? they are virtually like slicks with a few slices cut in them? have you ever tried TKC80s? You want noise! Not only noise, but a thumping through the handlebars too, it is like riding a pneumatic drill. The Anakee 3s are smooth, rounded and have virtually no tread to make noise with! I am confused and have wondered if Anakee 3s have changed in the last few months, because I find them quiet, smooth and I have never had a tyre that I could feel the grip with before, but even in standing water on the road they felt secure. I did 440 miles through torrential rain the other day, there was an inch or more of water on the surface the whole way, at one point it came over my boots stood on the pegs (2 feet deep?) water coming over the top of the screen as I forded the flood, but I got through and never felt a squiggle of any kind anywhere on the journey. In the dry they are very quiet, certainly the noise of the exhaust is louder, much louder, than naything else - that and the wind noise.

Ditto, I haven’t needed to buy new tyres as I just pop my mates anakees on as they all get them changed on new bikes. I’m happy using them in any conditions and some also have been biblical. As for noise, they talk about the noise but I don’t hear anything so I’m quids in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly will never get the PR5 on the GS to the edges as my pegs are already down. PR5 has such steep sidewalls and a very good tyre carcass shape cross section. It is my new favourite tyre with great wet and dry grip. Not _quite_ as good feel as a PST2, but higher grip levels and the rate of turn on tarmac is excellent.

G7L5RebE.jpg

lStwgfR4.jpg

You can get them down to very close to the edge and as you say a great set of boots , just a bit short on the wear , but that's what you get with a sportier tyre spec. I love them just wish they lasted more than 5 days.

How the hell can people say Anakee 3s are noisy?
My 1250 had the Anakee 3 Adventures fitted and they were very noisy. In a straight line they were fine but as soon as you lean them off the centre line, they started to make a droning noise. Almost like a worn out bearing or diff whining.
I replaced them with Roadtec 01's at the 600 mile service and the noise is gone :thumb2

Apart from the noise, these A3 Adventures were actually very good and had excellent grip. The compound felt very soft so I don’t think these will be high milers.

G7L5RebE.jpg

lStwgfR4.jpg

When you get a new pair; try for a bit of discount for the bits you dont use.:D:beerjug:

You can get them down to very close to the edge and as you say a great set of boots , just a bit short on the wear , but that's what you get with a sportier tyre spec. I love them just wish they lasted more than 5 days.

The next day after my post, i did manage to get them worked a bit harder and edged a little closer but the pegs are already in their highest position!
Great tyre and quite sensitive to tyre pressure too. I find running them at 34f/39r psi to give good feel for the road - slightly lower than normal.

When you get a new pair; try for a bit of discount for the bits you dont use.:D:beerjug:
Lol and it’s the stickiest part of the tyre too!

I've gone from PR4s to Bridgestone A41s and have been very happy with them. Turn in is predictable with no sudden drop-in and they have bags of grip. Stability is excellent. My only gripe is that I find it too easy to ride them off the edge at the back (no chicken strips) in the dry but you do get a warning as you can just start feeling the bike squirm a little! Mind you, most probably won't chuck it about with those sort of lean angles...for me it only ever happens when I have complete faith in a set of tyres and am pushing on a little. Front feels planted and now they're properly bedded in, feedback is pretty good. Cheapest premium tyres I think available but imho, up with the best. It was toss up between those and Metzler Roadtec01s but at the price I thought I'd try them and glad I have.

Recently back from a 7000 mile solo trip around eastern europe & scandinavia on a loaded 2017GS. Fitted the new Anakee Adventures 200 miles before I left, so now they have done 7200+. Front is still ok at 3mm but rear needs changing pretty soon. Wet grip has been excellent and there was an awful lot of wet up through Finland and north of the arctic circle. They do have some noise (like the Anakee 3’s), but in my view not as bad and as a previous poster said its only really when you lean. Didn't really bother me as there was too much else going on to worry about a bit of tyre noise. Will probably put another set on or maybe the Avon trail-rider which I had before and changed at 6500 miles.

Bridgestone A41s atm and I think they are really good. Loads of grip wet or dry and quiet. I like them.

+1 enjoying mine always liked the Tournace Next but this etyres on my new GS are performing very well.

Recently back from a 7000 mile solo trip around eastern europe & scandinavia on a loaded 2017GS. Fitted the new Anakee Adventures 200 miles before I left, so now they have done 7200+. Front is still ok at 3mm but rear needs changing pretty soon. Wet grip has been excellent and there was an awful lot of wet up through Finland and north of the arctic circle. They do have some noise (like the Anakee 3’s), but in my view not as bad and as a previous poster said its only really when you lean. Didn't really bother me as there was too much else going on to worry about a bit of tyre noise. Will probably put another set on or maybe the Avon trail-rider which I had before and changed at 6500 miles.

My 1250 came with the Anakee Adventure's fitted and I find the dry weather grip iffy at times and wet weather grip awful. I've had some major slides wet and dry. I agree with you regarding the front tyre noise, especially on wet roads. They're by far the worst tyre I've tried on a GS.

I'll probably switch back to my old favourite the Tourance Next as I find these offer excellent grip wet or dry. I've used Pilot Road 4's too, but they were very puncture prone on freshly resurfaced roads as the sharp chippings pierced the carcass easily.

Back
Top Bottom