Tyres - my thoughts and

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2016 R1200 GSA TE came with Anakee 3s, I didn’t like them and when they were done I changed them to Torrance Nexts because that’s what the dealer suggested and had, although they had others.

In terms of performance in both wet and dry conditions they were fine, but not much more than 5,000 miles, so I have switched to PR4s, again I’m happy with the performance, they have done just over 6500 miles, so an improvement but not fantastic. I should add each set of tyres has done one big trip fully laden including the wife as pillion.

I’m favouring Metzeler Roadtec 01s or PR5s and need to fit them before the next big trip to Spain in late September.

I imagine I will get what’s in stock, but hopefully there’s a choice.

Anakee 3 just gone on the back of mine, cos it was cheap. I'm very cheap.
Ive fitted a new set of Anakee 3 on mine, they do just what you need. Plus if you fancy a bit off road action? At least you would have the option to with the Anakee 3
To a point

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Replace Anakee 3 at 8000 with torrance next and just replaced them 15k due to flat wear in centre of rear replaced with PR4 trails see how they wear

Tourance Next currently on mine. 5000 miles, inc euro trip of at least 1000 motorway miles and barely a third wear. Back is still 5.5mm in the centre. No slips or slides in wet or dry and they just let you get on with riding.

Continue Trial Attack 2’s, had Annakees from new on this bike, no problems with grip but they’re so noisy, the contis are super quiet

I quite like the Anakees. I've had 2 sets from new but they only lasted me around 3500 to 4000 max.

I'm now at 7000 miles so changing tomorrow for Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's and see how I get on with them.

Dumped my Anakee 3’s after 2500miles as I hated them, noisy, reluctant to turn in and started to square off. Now on Roadtech 01’s. what a difference. I don’t do “off road” so they are perfect for me.

Dumped my Anakee 3’s after 2500miles as I hated them, noisy, reluctant to turn in and started to square off. Now on Roadtech 01’s. what a difference. I don’t do “off road” so they are perfect for me.

That’s what I’m hoping, with > 7000 miles use

Mileage is important but not as important as feeling comfortable that you’ve got the right tyres for your style of riding.

Nail on the head that is, if it does not feel right it has to go, however happy with my Anakke 3,s at the moment but they only have 3000 kms on them and still look new, will judge later in the year when theey wear down a bit and roads get a tad slippier.

I never stray off road and riding a GSA I’m not trying to get my knee down, all of the tyres I’ve tried so far on this bike have performed adequately but the PR4s probably gave the most confidence.

I never stray off road and riding a GSA I’m not trying to get my knee down, all of the tyres I’ve tried so far on this bike have performed adequately but the PR4s probably gave the most confidence.

Nice and simple and to the point, offroad to me is a bit of gravel or a stony path, will avoid if possible the latter, but A3,s had no problem on any of these roads or paths, looking at Michelin road 5 trail, at next change.

i switched from anakees which i had no problem with to TKC 70s and have used light off roading to balls out road riding and cant fault them either. But i will be replacing them with the same as they do everything and suit the bike.

Just goes to show how "personal" tyres are! As many have said there are no really bad tyres it's down to what each individual is comfortable with.

I got 7000 miles from my Anakee but changed to Dunlop Roadsmart 3 as I don't go off road and they are really good. Very quiet and feel really good wet and dry.
Only covered 2000 miles so far but they seem good to me :thumb2

A scene comes to mind in Days of Thunder. “I don’t know what the hell you are talking about”. :D Guess I’ll be having Anakee 3’s again then.

Anakees... A good tyre wet or dry.
PR4 or Roadtech 01 .... I can't tell the difference between them, both great tyres wet or dry.
Roadsmart 3... I don't like them, all the wrong sort of feedback, you feel every tiny imperfection through the stiff carcass but not when the grip ends. Grip, grip, crash. Yes I did!
All of the above seem to last about the same mileage.
PST2... just put them on, initial feeling is very good, lots of confidence. loads of tread on the rear. Tomorrow off to Pyrenees for a week, so we shall see.
Noisiest tyre of all, 2/3rds worn Roadtech 01 when cornering, loud whining.

Anakees... A good tyre wet or dry.
PR4 or Roadtech 01 .... I can't tell the difference between them, both great tyres wet or dry.
Roadsmart 3... I don't like them, all the wrong sort of feedback, you feel every tiny imperfection through the stiff carcass but not when the grip ends. Grip, grip, crash. Yes I did!
All of the above seem to last about the same mileage.
PST2... just put them on, initial feeling is very good, lots of confidence. loads of tread on the rear. Tomorrow off to Pyrenees for a week, so we shall see.
Noisiest tyre of all, 2/3rds worn Roadtech 01 when cornering, loud whining.

Shall be fun my mate just fitted Roadtechs yesterday, his Avons where toast after Austria trip, and he was moaning about the noise.

I'm about to swap onto my 5th set on the GS soon, and it's the sportiest and most confidence inspiring tyre imho. It has plenty of grip in the wet too.

Back
Top Bottom