Crap chains courtesy of Ducati

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Generally I'm really positive and a huge advocate for Ducati, but after only just reaching 15K on the first time, and only 13K on the second chain I have to ask why they fit these shit chains.

Also, most Ducati dealers will only fit Ducati OEM chains, rather than a sensible after market proven brand which is driving me away from the dealer to get a new C&S set.

On my previous bikes (admittedly 4 cylinder sports bikes, so easier on the chain), I have always managed to achieve at least 30K out of a chain, and have changed the bike before I needed to change the chain and sprockets.

Bike is vibrating like a jackhammer at the moment because of a stiff link (the connecting link), so have put the bike in the garage until it can be collected.

How hard is it for a manufacturer to have a half decent chain approved as OEM :mad:

RBW.

I've seen new very low mileage Ducatis with rusty chains

Proper shit they are

That Missenden Flyer bloke was bitching like a big girl about rusty side plates on his Panny whatsaname

They bunged him a new chain just to stop him whining

My BMW F800GS went through a chain in 10k miles. Absolutely rubbish quality.
My Ducati lasted a bit longer. 15-20k
Some Ducati dealers will fit non OEM chains. You must be unlucky with your dealer.

The Ducati chains are better than the BMW chains

The Chain on my XR went rusty despite my anal cleaning and lubing regime after 3000 miles. It was replaced under warranty but only because the dealer knew how well i had looked after it.

It was as if BMW had ordered chains from DID for a set price and to save money the side plates were just bare metal

The chain on my Hypermotard is now 8000 miles old and has not yet needed adjusting. I work on the principle that once they do need adjusting and are starting to stretch they pretty much need replacing. I am happy to get 10-15K from a chain its part of the experience of owning a bike.

I am however with you in that makers use the cheapest or try to cheapen the bike. Its the bean counters as the actual engineers i feel sure would put the best on

I've had three ducatis and two chain driven F800GSs, the BMW were definitely worse, the only real answer is to get a shaft or constant cleaning and lubing.

Well, seems Ducati aren't unique... the dealer I purchased the bike from has always held the 'we only fit OEM parts' line, but I'm awaiting a quote from them and will then double check if they will fit a non OEM chain. I have found a localish place in the Midlands that comes highly recommended (Cornerspeed), and they are happy to suggest and fit a Tsubaki chain.

Will see where I get to, but the service is going to be huge as everything needs doing at once. Fingers crossed.

RBW.

Well, seems Ducati aren't unique... the dealer I purchased the bike from has always held the 'we only fit OEM parts' line, but I'm awaiting a quote from them and will then double check if they will fit a non OEM chain. I have found a localish place in the Midlands that comes highly recommended (Cornerspeed), and they are happy to suggest and fit a Tsubaki chain.

Will see where I get to, but the service is going to be huge as everything needs doing at once. Fingers crossed.

RBW.

Cornerspeed are brilliant

I went there for my last service and their attention to detail and care was amazing way better than the dealers service dept

Go there and i reckon they will fit any chain and sprocket that you specify

I cannot see a non OEM chain and sprockets affecting any warranty

That's good to hear Redrick and your positive experience echo's a number of others. I sent an email about the service requirements to 3 locals (I have two local ducati dealers and Cornerspeed), and Cornerspeed have to date been the only one to reply. He sent a really detailed email in response to mine with a number of options on (uprated filter versus stock, brembo or SCS brake pads rather than OEM etc...).

His response and a subsequent quick phone call with him has set my mind that Cornerspeed is the best option to get everything done (desmo service, fork oil, all fluids, brake pads, C&S).

It will be a wallet busting service, but then bar any issues everything is done for the next 15K bar an interim oil service at 7.5. I also hope that the new C&S will at least last until the next Desmo service.

I'm slightly nervous about anything else turning up whilst it's being serviced, but other than downgrading mine to an EU 4 version (959) prior to the big service, I don't see anything else out there that ticks all the boxes so am hoping there is nothing else that needs doing.

RBW.

Cornerspeed are brilliant

I went there for my last service and their attention to detail and care was amazing way better than the dealers service dept

Go there and i reckon they will fit any chain and sprocket that you specify

I cannot see a non OEM chain and sprockets affecting any warranty

Well, that's the desmo service out of the way for another 15K miles, it will be at 45K when it needs its next big service. I ended up using the supplying main dealer who were fantastic as usual (Italia moto in Lincoln).

Everything has been done that it needs, new chain and sprocket, new fork oil and fork seals, full service, new brake pads front and rear. I've been out on the bike today and it feels like a new bike :) .

Very happy, and whilst I have a much lighter wallet I know everything is done bar any arising problems for another year.

RBW.

Its the engine pulses, four cylinders are a lot less stressfull on chains than lumpy snatchy twins

Yes, that makes sense and maybe I'm being niaive expecting 15K from a chain (it was toast at 13.5K). I've had a DID chain fitted to OEM sprockets and I suspect this will be a better quality than the last two OEM chains, so if I get at least 15K from this chain its been a success changing to non OEM.

RBW.

Its the engine pulses, four cylinders are a lot less stressfull on chains than lumpy snatchy twins

M&P were/are doing a great deal on DID chains and quality Sprockets - £99 for a set for the S1000XR.

Check out their EBay site for Ducati-sizes?

The Regina chain on the XR is crap, but should with TLC last 15,000 miles.

People are starting to repeat scare stories of bikes being handed back (on PCP) with non-OEM chains, even though DID are top of the tree (with Tsubaki) - and being charged for a new chain???

Back
Top Bottom