Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: BMW PCP should I ??

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPanda View Post
    I am always amused to see comments about how you can buy something cheaper for (gasp) less money, and you therefore assume you've won! By that rationale, nobody would ever buy a new Porsche, Bentley, Range Rover, Audi or whatever because they could of course run around in a 5 year old S-type instead. However, being "in a better position financially" surely means you have more money to do what you want to do. If what you want to do is NOT drive around in a 5 year old S-type Jag (and frankly, who would...) then buying the Audi instead is a great example of how you could spend that money you were about to save.
    You are quite right , I’d love to be able to buy a nice Porsche and if I had enough disposable income then I would.

He didn’t buy the Audi though did he! . He rented it and and his first years rental was MORE than the definitely much nicer car cost to buy outright. I suggested he looked at what he could buy for around £6-£9k and he said he couldn’t afford to spend that much. Yet he spent more than that on the little Audi over 3 years and had nothing to show for it afterwards.
    As the great philosopher Keating once wrote " Life is a rollercoaster, you just gotta ride it!" ------Amen

My current stable of "adventure bikes"
    2009 Guzzi V1200 Sport 8v Triple Black..my weekend sex kitten
    2014 VFR1200X Crosstourer Highlander DCT Camo.. my big trip missile

My BMW history, all gone but not forgotten. K1 , R1100GS, R1150GS, G650 XChallenge, R1200GS TB

Devil may care... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    If I was you, I’d get a personal loan and pay of the 16 plate and keep it... on say £8k you would you pay. A few hundred quid in interest...... chip away at it and in two years it’s yours.....

Quote Originally Posted by dexmo View Post
    It appears that Brexs*it is having an impact on APR rates on PCP deals.
    When I got my last GSA 3 years ago the APR was 5.9%, which I thought was a little high, put down 3k deposit and went ahead.
    In hindsight I think it is better to put down a slightly lower deposit.

Anyway...3 years on.
    The 16 reg GSA has no additional value in it over the final settlement figure, so nothing towards the deposit - fine with that, to be expected.

However, the APR rates have climbed - being quoted 7.9% this means will be paying approximately 2.5 - 3k in interest charges over the 3-year period.
    Dealer isn't saying so, but think BMW are trying to hedge against hard brexit and import tariffs being imposed if we go to WTO terms.
    This appears to be the same with Ducati.

(Porsche have been upfront about it and changing contract terms to impose 10% price increase if go to WTO terms.)

So, would like the new GSA, but sticking with the 16 plate would make more sense.

My only tip....don't ride the new 1250 - the engine is smoother and has noticeably more go, the gearbox is better and the suspension feels better to me. Even the BMW branded brakes on the front, they feel better than the Brembos on mine.

As an alternative, looking for a demo Multistrada 1260s (in white) and buy with cash from a bank loan at 3% APR. Ducati Aylesbury had a beautiful one a few months ago. But was too slow, (me, not the bike obviously).

The only niggle about the new GSA - could it be too smooth, too perfect ??

Then again if I went down the loon route would get the new Hypermotard 950 SP - apparently the front tyre lasts at least 10 years :-)
    The most fun I have had on a bike, ever.

Anyway, if anyone has insight into BMW APR rates, or whether some dealers are offering better rates, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by dexmo View Post
    It appears that Brexs*it is having an impact on APR rates on PCP deals.
    When I got my last GSA 3 years ago the APR was 5.9%, which I thought was a little high, put down 3k deposit and went ahead.
    In hindsight I think it is better to put down a slightly lower deposit.

Anyway...3 years on.
    The 16 reg GSA has no additional value in it over the final settlement figure, so nothing towards the deposit - fine with that, to be expected.

However, the APR rates have climbed - being quoted 7.9% this means will be paying approximately 2.5 - 3k in interest charges over the 3-year period.

Dealer isn't saying so, but think BMW are trying to hedge against hard brexit and import tariffs being imposed if we go to WTO terms.
    This appears to be the same with Ducati.

(Porsche have been upfront about it and changing contract terms to impose 10% price increase if go to WTO terms.)

So, would like the new GSA, but sticking with the 16 plate would make more sense.
    So your 16 plate GS Adv has cost you £3k deposit and about £2.5-3k in monthly repayments, over 3 years (give or take) to rent

Now it's worth no more than the GMFV figure, so no equity to speak of .... at the end?

So that 'investment' of some £6k has left you with nothing to show for it (unless you trade in and start again OR re-Finance the significant balloon)

Mmmm, not really good value to me

New bikes are nice - but when there are some cracking sub £10k used bikes here or elsewhere - sticking your £6k 'spent' into one of those would seem a more prudent option

There is a 2017 Rallye here for a mere £8995 or a smidge less

That's a bargain at half new price
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBoxer View Post
    So your 16 plate GS Adv has cost you £3k deposit and about £2.5-3k in monthly repayments, over 3 years (give or take) to rent

Now it's worth no more than the GMFV figure, so no equity to speak of .... at the end?

So that 'investment' of some £6k has left you with nothing to show for it (unless you trade in and start again OR re-Finance the significant balloon)

Mmmm, not really good value to me

New bikes are nice - but when there are some cracking sub £10k used bikes here or elsewhere - sticking your £6k 'spent' into one of those would seem a more prudent option

There is a 2017 Rallye here for a mere £8995 or a smidge less

That's a bargain at half new price
    That’s where my money would be going........
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    I know that is the simple, sane & sensible option....but I've ridden the new one :-(
    I've cranked it right over on a roundabout and punched it hard in third on the exit....oh for ducks sake it's good...:-)

Is there a branch of AA (Adventure Anonymous) I can go to and talk to someone??
    A 12 step programme?
    Step 1: don't take the ducking thing for a test ride...

As a cunning plan I might keep it and finance it at 3%....and wait for the V4 Multistrada.

Anyway need to decide soonish...got the North 500/750 again, so need to own the bike or pay for the excess mileage on my return.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567