1250 Video

When the nearest successful selling adventure bike is the Honda AT, which sells less than either the GS or GSA you might think that Triumph, KTM and Ducati would think what makes the BMW offering so much more appealing than theirs.

Dealer availability
Price
Reliability
Badge

as the detractors on this site keep poking fun at the GSs vulnerability I can only imagine that they prefer the exclusivity of the less popular models and that’s fine, it takes all sorts and would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

At the end of the day two wheels is what it’s all about.

Nobody would accept chain-drive on cars today as they had in early days...:eek:
But now with 143 NM TORQUE there is no need more for that...:D
Also T-L rules on todays less than perfect roads...:thumby:
O.K. the Autobahn is smooth and the KTM still has a slight edge here if you leave the bags at home not to scare yourself to death or if you are not on the 1290R limited to 125mph...;)

The bike looks a bit of a pig still, so probably cured.......

Gold rims are an improvement....they've been looking at the class leader for ideas....

The ban has been lifted :beerjug:

You’re still new here, grasshopper ;)

Not really mate, I suppose some would say it's just banter but it comes across as relentless negativity in every single thread. Not sure why people, who have moved on to other brands, would just hang around here with a single purpose of spreading negative comments.

Not really mate, I suppose some would say it's just banter but it comes across as relentless negativity in every single thread. Not sure why people, who have moved on to other brands, would just hang around here with a single purpose of spreading negative comments.

Depends how you define negativity. Just because some people move to different brands doesn’t mean they won’t be back.

I cannot understand why Ducati and KTM don’t have a shaft, surely they would make inroads into the GS dominance with it.

Maybe weigh a chain/sprocket and compare with a shaft drive for one.

I prefer shaft drive but actually get an odd satisfaction from cleaning the chain back to shiny new. Now I've fitted a Cobra oiler life will get even easier! It's no biggy. You still have to clean shaft drive parts and servicing it at the dealers is expensive for what you get. Compare a chain/sprocket change to a shaft drive repair. You could go on and on with pro's for each concept really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bike looks a bit of a pig still, so probably cured.......

Gold rims are an improvement....they've been looking at the class leader for ideas....

Really don't understand the few that come into every one of these threads just to shit on anything BMW.

I guess, living in Sydney you don't get humour !!! Pig....cured.....nope.....still over the top.....:blast

The 1250 looks better than the 1200 and I like that paint job.Just hope the finish has improved and the engine is less rattly than the current bike.
I still wouldn't get one as my local dealer is dreadful.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Nutty and bounce will be along soon, I do like the orange bikes, but just did not want a chain, basically, that was my reason for choosing the GS.

I've ridden a WC, and really enjoyed it.......the SA 1290 though (for me) is just a better bike (particularly engine / build quality / finish).

As for chain drive.....the chain is a DID X ring so is bloody strong, and is regularly cleaned & lubed (via a scott oiler) & adjusted annually when new tyres are fitted.

Easy peasy :D

When the nearest successful selling adventure bike is the Honda AT, which sells less than either the GS or GSA you might think that Triumph, KTM and Ducati would think what makes the BMW offering so much more appealing than theirs.

Dealer availability
Price
Reliability
Badge

as the detractors on this site keep poking fun at the GSs vulnerability I can only imagine that they prefer the exclusivity of the less popular models and that’s fine, it takes all sorts and would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

At the end of the day two wheels is what it’s all about.

I would have bought a Honda AT if it had met my needs as well as the GS does, but it doesn't, even though I am a big fan of the DCT. I think the thing with the AT is that it completes well with the GS only for that small proportion of GS riders who do a lot of off-road riding - maybe 5%? Where it fails to compete successfully is as a general purpose/touring bike, one which excels on-road either solo or two-up with luggage. I think with the AT Honda are competing with the GS adventure bike image, which is a niche market, but not with the reality of how the GS is actually used.

Now if Honda were to introduce a much more road biased bike with tubeless tyres, DCT, a perhaps slightly more powerful version of the AT engine, and semi-active suspension, then they might start to be a viable alternative for the other 95% of current GS owners. At the moment it seems Honda's idea of a touring bike is the Goldwing which is a very expensive niche offering, or the very long in the tooth CrossTourer which is a somewhat mediocre bike wrapped around a great, albeit overly complex and heavy, engine.

I would have bought a Honda AT if it had met my needs as well as the GS does, but it doesn't, even though I am a big fan of the DCT. I think the thing with the AT is that it completes well with the GS only for that small proportion of GS riders who do a lot of off-road riding - maybe 5%? Where it fails to compete successfully is as a general purpose/touring bike, one which excels on-road either solo or two-up with luggage. I think with the AT Honda are competing with the GS adventure bike image, which is a niche market, but not with the reality of how the GS is actually used.

Now if Honda were to introduce a much more road biased bike with tubeless tyres, DCT, a perhaps slightly more powerful version of the AT engine, and semi-active suspension, then they might start to be a viable alternative for the other 95% of current GS owners. At the moment it seems Honda's idea of a touring bike is the Goldwing which is a very expensive niche offering, or the very long in the tooth CrossTourer which is a somewhat mediocre bike wrapped around a great, albeit overly complex and heavy, engine.

I hope Honda don’t fuck with the AT/ATAS to tempt GS owners .

The latest version is brilliant. Just missing cruise control .
The ATAS has more than enough poke, great comfort , 280 mile range to reserve and the finish is like BMs were 20 years ago .

I really don’t want semi active suspension and other crap , ta anyway .

I’m sure the new 1250 will delight many current GS owners who like such bikes.

But we all have a choice .

Back
Top Bottom