KTM 1290 super adventure s weaving

My 1190S weaved at speeds in excess of 115mph if it had any of the factory supplied luggage fitted. It didnt matter if it was on new or old tyres nor how much weight was in the luggage, it started at 115mph amd got progressively worse to the point where when I took it up to 130mph I seriously thought it was going to go from a weave to a tank slap and throw me off.

Soft luggage cured it as would keeping the speed down but if I didn’t want to do 115mph I’d have bought a 500 Honda.

My 1190S weaved at speeds in excess of 115mph if it had any of the factory supplied luggage fitted. It didnt matter if it was on new or old tyres nor how much weight was in the luggage, it started at 115mph amd got progressively worse to the point where when I took it up to 130mph I seriously thought it was going to go from a weave to a tank slap and throw me off.

Soft luggage cured it as would keeping the speed down but if I didn’t want to do 115mph I’d have bought a 500 Honda.

Wonder what Nutty and bounce top speeds are with their topcases, and if they get the wobblies.

Wonder what Nutty and bounce top speeds are with their topcases, and if they get the wobblies.

Both their bikes have semi-active suspension so probably cope a lot better. You’ve seen the photos of my GT massively overloaded and because I’ve got an enquiring kind of mind I had to wind it up to see if it misbehaved and stopped at 125mph because I knew I’d got a broken bracket on the rack but it was handling perfectly well up to that speed. I know it’s nothing like an Adventure but it does have similar suspension and I doubt if either of that pair have ever piled as much crap on their bikes as I did for my recent excursion.

Never had any wobble or weave on any of my 5 different models of 1200 GS with or without panniers, top boxes, pillions or different clothes - it is interesting to note though that the recommended 80mph loaded up max advised speed limit of the air/oil cooled models was removed on the later water cooled models.

That’s because none of your GS’s will do more than about 120mph. :comfort

We’re talking about the odd wobble at 140/150mph.

That’s because none of your GS’s will do more than about 120mph. :comfort

We’re talking about the odd wobble at 140/150mph.

To use your favourite comment, that's bollocks!

I have seen 140 mph , Nav 5 indicated, on my 2013 LC in Germany with top box on, loaded with 6 bottles of wine. No shakes, no weave and no steering damper. Was having a bit of a ding dong with a Ducati at the time.

Bollocks. Every time at 80mph? Nah.

I said in excess of 80mph and as I have the R I missed the other OP ref to an S so this was not aimed at your bike Nutty, Its not dangerous just a-slight weave much better than the 1190r I had,

As for the Bike it is stunning in every way and no recriminations part exing the GSA rallye

To use your favourite comment, that's bollocks!

I have seen 140 mph , Nav 5 indicated, on my 2013 LC in Germany with top box on, loaded with 6 bottles of wine. No shakes, no weave and no steering damper. Was having a bit of a ding dong with a Ducati at the time.

:D:beerjug:

I said in excess of 80mph and as I have the R I missed the other OP ref to an S so this was not aimed at your bike Nutty, Its not dangerous just a-slight weave much better than the 1190r I had,

As for the Bike it is stunning in every way and no recriminations part exing the GSA rallye

Ah, ok. It’s only ever happened on mine with the top box on, doing silly speeds. There’s rumours that the R has a lower tops speed due to the larger front wheel, so maybe that explains that theory then.

My 1190 Adv was stable up to ban/jail speeds as long as it didn’t have panniers on. I had Holan Nomada alloy boxes with a 33ltr Givi topbox fitted for touring duties and max safe speed was 95 mph. Add another 5 and she'd start to shake her head, another 5 and the beginnings of a full blown tank slapper was in the offing. It’s great having that 150 bhp but when a wheezy old 1200 boxer rattles past you, fully loaded and two up at about 125, it’s a bit sad as you just have to let them go.

Davy
That’s the best explanation so far exactly as I found it.
Surely the new ones are fixed ?
I’m to busy to test ride one now this week so will have to wait and see .
Wanted to buy one today asked the salesman to bring me one to try today but not interested only 30 miles away and bought two off them before.
I work for a ford dealer group and would of jumped to do a home test drive as mostly there an easy sale.

Davy
That’s the best explanation so far exactly as I found it.
Surely the new ones are fixed ?
I’m to busy to test ride one now this week so will have to wait and see .
Wanted to buy one today asked the salesman to bring me one to try today but not interested only 30 miles away and bought two off them before.
I work for a ford dealer group and would of jumped to do a home test drive as mostly there an easy sale.

Have a read through this https://advrider.com/f/threads/1290-super-adventure-s-owners-thread.1188780/

IIRC, a very small percentage of owners have had a high speed weave, with luggage fitted. But not enough for it to be a major problem.

Is £12500 for 1290 sas a good deal ? Plus£495 for a travel pack
I can get 8% off a new 1250 gs exclusive £15200 ish

I find the whole thing really weird as I'm not bullshitting when I say I've never experienced any sort of weave at any speed yet some people such as Davy F (who I believe implicitly) have experienced what I'd consider to be unacceptable for a modern, big bike :confused:

I'm a lazy cnut Nutty, did the AdvRider thread come to any conclusions?

Andres

Back
Top Bottom