KTM 1290 super adventure s weaving

andrewb2006

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at getting a 1290 ,but I had two 1190s and they used to weave go into a tank slapper if ridden fast or excellarate hard .
Is the 1290 fixed?
Even the 1190 demo I rode did it .

I’m confused. You had two 1190’s that did it, but want a 1290 now, so test rode another 1190, that exhibited the same traits as the bikes you previously owned?

Nutty I was hoping you’d comment sorry to confuse you.
What I meant was all three bikes I rode back in 2014 weaved ,I loved the bike just not the weave at autobahn speeds .

Going to test the 1290 today some mega deals out there.

Thanks again.

Isn't it a bit like buying a Panigale and moaning that it is a bit crap on green lanes ?
yes the KTM has 150/160 hp but is it really designed to go at 140mph plus ?

Nutty I was hoping you’d comment sorry to confuse you.
What I meant was all three bikes I rode back in 2014 weaved ,I loved the bike just not the weave at autobahn speeds .

Going to test the 1290 today some mega deals out there.

Thanks again.

You’re forgiven! :D

I’ve had mine at autobahn speeds loads of times, and on a windy day, over around 140mph the handlebars did waggle a bit, but that was with a top box on, so it probably wouldn’t do it without luggage. The steering damper took good care of things, and there are aftermarket ones if you regularly ride at 150mph and are concerned. You can power through it, but it depends how big your balls are! There are so many determining factors though, so it depends what screen/ luggage you have, etc.

I’d say 99.99% of the time, it’s a non issue.

Looking at getting a 1290 ,but I had two 1190s and they used to weave go into a tank slapper if ridden fast or excellarate hard .
Is the 1290 fixed?
Even the 1190 demo I rode did it .

Definitely weaves in excess of 80 plus on straight roads

I can honestly say my 1190R has never weaved; not one up, not two up and with or without full (hard) luggage. Oh, and never anything even approaching a tank slapper when ragging it, it's always as stable as a stable thing........

I'm not saying it doesn't happen 'cos clearly some people have experienced it, I haven't though.

Above 130 the bike is a bit less planted and the front end a bit twitchy but, BTH, I'm hardly surprised as I'm sat bolt upright and running 21/18 wheels, it's not a sports bike after all.

Only things I've had done which may affect high speed handling is have the rear shock revalved and the suspension properly set up.

Is the weaving supposed to affect both the vanilla Adv and R or just the vanilla?

Andres

PS OP ~ If you bung this in the Orange section you might get more feedback.

Wobble and weave, a million things can affect how the bike rides, your body size in the wind, loose fitting jackets, windscreens, tyres weight on the bike, state of roads, I do not know any bike on the planet that does not wobble or weave a tad at some stage, a bike is a bike, on 2 wheels, do not worry, just get what makes you feel comfortable, it is all about how you feel on the bike, others will have their opinions, but it is you and your confidence in the bike you like, so as many have said, get out and test ride, as many bikes you need to to find your comfort zone.

Wise words Smogy.

Andres

My 1290 is stable enough but then rarely go above 120mph ;)

Top box does not affect it or Holan side panniers - never tend to use both at the same time.

That said I also found my 2015 1190S stable as well - only thing that upset that was a huge Puig wind screen which I quickly got rid of :D

Wobble and weave, a million things can affect how the bike rides, your body size in the wind, loose fitting jackets, windscreens, tyres weight on the bike, state of roads, I do not know any bike on the planet that does not wobble or weave a tad at some stage, a bike is a bike, on 2 wheels, do not worry, just get what makes you feel comfortable, it is all about how you feel on the bike, others will have their opinions, but it is you and your confidence in the bike you like, so as many have said, get out and test ride, as many bikes you need to to find your comfort zone.

Never had any wobble or weave on any of my 5 different models of 1200 GS with or without panniers, top boxes, pillions or different clothes - it is interesting to note though that the recommended 80mph loaded up max advised speed limit of the air/oil cooled models was removed on the later water cooled models.

Never had any wobble or weave on any of my 5 different models of 1200 GS with or without panniers, top boxes, pillions or different clothes - it is interesting to note though that the recommended 80mph loaded up max advised speed limit of the air/oil cooled models was removed on the later water cooled models.
What do you want, a feckin coconut?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You do have a few more gears on the bike........:hippy

I know of several 1090s that weave badly at even moderate speed. One in particular has been back and forth to the dealer, had new wheels, suspension checked etc etc and still a big problem. Disappointing they haven't sorted it on some 1290s.

I know of several 1090s that weave badly at even moderate speed. One in particular has been back and forth to the dealer, had new wheels, suspension checked etc etc and still a big problem. Disappointing they haven't sorted it on some 1290s.

You will have upset the orange cart by now..........:hippy

Weird shit ~ some bikes obviously affected and others not :duno

I take it the 1090's you mention are R's in which case it's even weirder as we're talking different wheels and completely different suspension compared to vanilla..........

Andres

Weird shit ~ some bikes obviously affected and others not :duno

I take it the 1090's you mention are R's in which case it's even weirder as we're talking different wheels and completely suspension compared to vanilla..........

Andres

Yep, the 3 I know or are R's.
Not heard anything in a few months so perhaps they're sorted.

BTW saw loads of 1290 R's in the Pyrenees, feck they're fast!

Back
Top Bottom