Gael warning in the Congo

Loving it! I watched Ade Adepitan, paralympian, in his news documentary ‘Africa’ last night. There is a scene where the car enters an unofficial check point in Senegal. Gun toting malitia...a bit stressy! I can only imagine what you guys are seeing. I thought Ceuta was bad with the discipline sticks :D

Thanks G&T. Certainly seen quite a bit if that on my travels but now we are in Namibia which is very tame(but beautiful) by comparison: good tarmac, speak English, you can drink the water, fuel is actually 95 octane etc...loving the rest!

Decent oil for the drive shaft

077c9ff730a0a88d900d00fde241948b.jpg

Some bling bikes at Motorrad
IMG_2815.jpg

Keeping the old Hall sensor as back up

IMG_2816.jpg

Bike is a bit like Triggers broom now, lots of new bits and running well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick update on a sunny Tuesday morning in Windhoek.

Jim is busy adventurising his Suzuki. Once he adds another of these 1.5 litre fuel containers I reckon he can outrun a GSA
IMG_2827.jpg.

As my bicycle pump was confiscated for the flight over the River Congo, I splashed out £6 for this Raleigh bicycle pump which passes a practical test this morning: 30 short strokesgot me from 29.5psi to 31.5 psi (good exercise).
IMG_2828.jpg

And in other news, our landlady's dog definitely does not like motorcycles when the engine is running
IMG_2824.jpg

And we have some very active import agents in the case, already promising indications we can import the bikes temporarily in Nam for 12 months

The agents are based in the attractive railway station

IMG_2821.jpg

Rather less attractive hardware outside - a legacy of SA/Nam conflict in last? Sadly no legend there to explain
IMG_2822.jpg

We've been in Windhoek for a few days, resting up and doing some admin, now the weekend is over. Simon also got parts fitted to his bike and had it checked over by the BMW dealership mechanic. I also booked my bike in for service as it has lost a little of its acceleration. Well it's done 4,500km since I left Congo Brazzaville, mostly flat out!

Iitially we stayed at a set-up campsite, Urban Camp, but are now in a small hotel/guesthouse with a dog that hates motorbikes, so much it bites the riders, right Simon!

Windhook it a strange city. Very clean with modern buildings but you are discouraged from walking on the streets at night because of security concerns. We visited the train station today and looked at some of the old engines, carriages and photographs.

We said goodbye to Maxi, from Munich in a Landy, and sent him off sporting a shamrock broach from his two fellow travellers from Ireland. Coming home last evening we had a sunset behind one of the pyramid peaks surrounding the city.

We are making progress with our hopes of getting permission to store the bikes here for up to a year, to allow future trips. We are working with an agent who is liaising with the customs. We meet the customs tomorrow for a physical examination of the bikes, so fingers crossed that goes well. I'm hoping my bike will have completed its service by the morning and running sweet again.

Some photos, initially of Urban Camp, then a couple around the station. The photo on the wall shows the first passenger train entering Windhoek after WWII. We visited a mini adventure shop were I got an auxiliary tank, but this high spec BMW XChallenge 650 was on display, quite similar to my Xcountry back in UK. Simon thinks we should buy this 3 seater folding camping couch, but can't decide which bike to strap it to. The glow of sunset was last night and caught one of the hills of Windhoek in silhouette.
Just to remind us how far we are from Europe, this sign was outside a German school.
1f0668f2f69b9b72560b3f7f2a293bc2.jpg
b3e798ffcd3bb4f559e942ee80b3e4dc.jpg
584006db625c3474e653dd893ffe46c8.jpg
68291a349c0666fdcc341d62275f71db.jpg
36bea51b6fc064baa695559911bbb9de.jpg
4482e6546accfe44ad8565601756832b.jpg
8c0fa54f01c1b4a1ae695904bbdf34e1.jpg
3ff6b4a0bc18237d42b9e1ec70ad02aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It was coupled in front of the locomotive, carrying troops to protect the train in case of attack. Secondly if you look closely you will see it has V-shaped armour underneath. So if it goes across a mine laid under the track the explosive blast is deflected sideways,the wheels and other accroutments underneath will be blown away but the armoured body and the troops inside will be unscathed ( but somewhat deafened I can imagine)

IMG_2838.jpg
Now on the road as 3...Kit and me on the GS and Jim on the Suzuki. Heading for Botswana tomorrow.

This morning spent with Customs and now both our bikes rmare temporarily imported in Namibia for 12 monrhs (all at little cost!)

We left Windhoek today heading east. Windhoek had been good for getting the bikes sorted and acquiring a few items we needed. Being in Windhoek also allowed us to agree with customs that we can keep the bikes in Namibia for up to 12 months, allowing us to return for future exploring of Southern Africa.

It was also where Kit Bowles joined us, to ride pillion on Simons bike. We went for a short outing yesterday as a threesome to check the bikes before heading off today towards Botswana. The road to Botswana was interesting with animals and birds in the virges but sometimes difficult to photograph. We arrived in Botswana this afternoon after the easiest African border crossing I can remember.

Thanks for the comments on the Suzuki, Pat. It's a grest little machine. It is also running better now we have come down in altitude a little. It was not so happy around 2,000 meters. The mechanic servicing it described the engine as bulletproof and had seen them do over 100,000km, so only 95,000 to go!

Here's Kit and Simon getting used to the bike again on a trial ride out yesterday. Earlier I had my bike serviced in the local Yamaha dealer who has a good reputation, with parts brought out from UK by Kit. Thanks Kit!
855ea8b7549fcdf5fe80f690286f267e.jpg
ee22dab15104525c998c0267b870221a.jpg
dee098728bf93269ccbbbf053c189145.jpg
2040a43279472480b6195ff023496443.jpg

This was the bike today, loaded for travel. We met a fellow adventure biker today, more rare than you expect. James was parked on the road and we stopped for a chat and was from London. He was riding a friends bike from Nairobi to Cape Town. Then there was a lovely tree and of course the road to infinity.
2429d45c9900ea4c63d994933b6fda58.jpg
32769a0e249a992a3917bcea1d4f0bb0.jpg
7dc32aa76cbb706f4e3fd709d613a5bc.jpg
00cc4401eec08c268c3dbca2e9d8ea9f.jpg

There were a lot of warthogs around today, sometimes making us nervous in case they got in the way. This one was scampering away. As we approached Botswana we could see showers ahead and had some rain but we had to stop to view these vultures feeding off a large antelope. They fled the carcass but perched very close, to resume an early supper as soon as we left. The sky started blue today but eventually filled with clouds. These were some of the pretty ones before the grey ones took over
f19d682c234076666b573f472662be14.jpg
21200b0f7972a4e2f1904ff9d6a3f97f.jpg
4c5bfff5ca879eb62936bcae65306e93.jpg
e15dfd02e849acafe4fdd78f7348bfb1.jpg

A slight jump ahead but, after a long day’s ride across Botswana, (including an unscheduled interview with the Botswana Police- of which more later!), I was bemused to see the registration of this vehicle at our residence

IMG_2862.jpg

My besument increased a couple of hours later when I saw a group of burka clad ladies entering the vehicle

IMG_2863.jpg

This was a rest day once we spent the morning arranging to stay at a lodge in the Okavango delta for a few days next week.

So some minor bike fettling was in order namely fitting a new battery condition indicator on the GS. This also does an excellent job of looking like an antitheft alarm!

I had fitted one in Cameroon (or was it Congo?) but some over enthusiastic bike cleaning destroyed the useful lights ...grrr!

Note the innovative solution to propping up the petrol tank which Jim came up with (we are considering trying for sponsorship from Specsavers).
IMG_2867.jpg

As you can see, Jungle Jim and I have really adapted to safari life and local cuisine
IMG_2869.jpg
IMG_8240.jpg

Apart from working on Simons bike and supporting the Irish Rugby team, we have done some other things, including riding 500km from the border to get here to Maun. This was the longest days ride so far on the little Suzuki. The ride was tough, mainly because we had a headwind all the way. We stopped after 200km and filled up and had a break. The other factor we were dealing with was the occasional shower and chilly temperatures, not cold but around 20C, which felt fresh wearing airflow jackets. I don't expect sympathy from a cold Europe just saying how it felt here.

At the petrol stop I was conscious that it would take me around 4 hours on the little Suzuki to do the remaining 300km. So I suggested Simon and Kit go ahead, at normal 1150 speed and I'd meet them at the hotel, which is what we did.

There is quite a different feeling riding on your own and despite the headwind and slow pace I mostly enjoyed it. Riding for a long time on your own like this is fine, if you accept you have the whole day to reach your destination, and the riding is your only task for the day. That is how I approach long riding days and it seems to work for me.

One thing I noticed on the route was that kids were coming out of school. Sometimes they were in groups by the roadside waving at me riding by. I then thought this could be a chance to distribute the remains pencils and pens, and pulled up close to a large group in uniform. However by the time I had stopped the bike got my helmet and ear plugs off, I was just in time to see the last of the kids disappear into the bushes. Clearly they had been warned about guys riding motorbikes, wearing fluorescent jackets and were taking evasive action. The pens and pencils will have to remain with me a little longer.

Some photos along the way:- It amazes me that cattle seem to decide to cross the road as soon as they see you coming, or how it seemed on Friday. In some cases it was to drink from puddles and not surprisingly there is road-kill.
a0f846891e4598543d3504839392e6af.jpg
ee71f2968a60613b7fa6de125c06116b.jpg
9328df0321ee6fd5cce800353869d8b8.jpg
1397ae41fbf479ea97c3b0739826ae2a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom