Gael warning in the Congo

Simon, you may have misplaced me on the road to Mali, but I'm still with you in spirit. I'm now one of the armchair adventurers, but that will change. Great to see your adventures continuing and inspiring us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5a9d5b397df31924ed506ab296fbda7a.jpg

The GS has suddenly developed a starting problem so departure from Yaoundé on hold pending battery recharge and investigation. Hope it's not the HES as I suspect they are in very short supply in Cameroon🤞🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ailing bike is of great interest to the local motormen (Moto taxi drivers who ferry up to 4 passengers around the muddy streets, so very skilled!).

Joe Cool:
8fdb213daca6acd62135c2e02f8803bf.jpg

and his mate:
00761e86c364130c1180ba5eae1967f3.jpg

I took one of the motorbike taxis once to get said local insurance that I suddenly couldn't move without. Never again - but certainly fast and cheap!

Cameroon is nice. Gabon even better. The beer and snacks like your photo are great, I love the "Food is ready" signs that appear late morning

Motorbike taxi in Thailand ..

8e72da3e1ff5fc3212789b7a2fddcbd4.jpg

On the plus side, if you do arrive they are fairly cheap.

Joe

Part of my contingency planning if the GS won't play nice might be something like that, or perhaps this

a2a598473f12014c410b46a1fefe8727.jpg

Would require slimming my packing a bit!

About to head off to where the GS is garaged.

Just posted a technical help query in the oil heads section as I noticed the fuel gauge is not working and wondered whether that's related to the non-starting. (The fuel tank is full)!
308e071382d257438f2406d9cbbcae0c.jpg

Simon, I think checking the electrical system is a good call. Remember it was an electrical issue that stopped the GS in the Sahara and showed up on and off till a poor connector was found. I wonder if the repair the guy did in Mali or Gambia is still OK? Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Luke

Thanks Luke for the contact. Seems he (Amadou) was apprenticed to the guy who has beenworking on mine....it's a small world, even in a big city 🤞🏼

Luke

Thanks Luke for the contact. Seems he (Amadou) was apprenticed to the guy who has beenworking on mine....it's a small world, even in a big city 🤞🏼

Bloddy hell. Thats amazing. Brian said don't let Amadou "test ride" your bike after the repair . . . . . . I have a pic of Amadou riding Brian's DRZ on one wheel :eek: with full panniers etc etc on the bike.

As posted in technical help, bike starts ok now and rubs ok so if it starts in the morning I shall go for it☘️🤞🏼.

Bit unsatisfactory not to know what caused the issue but not confident I can do a good diagnosis here so I am just going to be philosophical*♂️.

The bike has now had new brake pads, plugs, oil filter and both oils changed and sports some squeaky new tkcs that I have been scrubbing in.

Wish me luck, please.

Although I’m following your trip with huge envy Simon, I can’t honestly say that I could ever embark on such a journey, especially in that part of the world. I suppose my cotton wool blanket is far too comfy.

I can only admit to Europe and Tesco’s anywhere but I am full of admiration for you.
Best of luck, have a safe journey.

:beerjug:

Thanks Oldrat!

Personally I would find the Tesco car park far too dangerous to ride in .

I was looking at some of these if Plan B had to swing into action. (There are about 730 CFA to the £)

0bc18c9e24d374410533fe5bf75158fb.jpg

Hope the bike will run in the morning. In order to get into the spirit, I adopted the Cameroon Saturday early evening pastime:
c2dc6f1270b6a81e0733ce3073dadc9a.jpg

Lively atmosphere...but the video won't load...Grrrrr

Chatting to the bloke next to me, who was a Bamileke who according to him are the road builder. He extolled the virtues of Douaka and Kribi but sadly I am not planning to visit either. On the strength of his banter he blagged a free beer off me and I departed
e6601a8e0aa6da6ebfbe23af239f3bbb.jpg

and I know Jockser is on his way

He's been following along in fits & starts as he got time. He's now up to date & most definitely 'in' :thumb

I'm loving the pics of the food / snacks and the Guinness but like Oldrat I'm not sure I could do it as easily as you seem to be able to. Respect :bow

Hope you get the Yellow Peril sorted, we need to be getting your reports as the days draw in to remind us it's only a temporary situation.
Keep on keeping on Simon, we're right behind you :beerjug:

Quick sitrep/

Bike made it fine to Ebolowa (did only about 180 kms as a refresher to the bike and 'African road' craft - more on that later) and seems to restart OK.

It didn't rain despite threatening clouds.
53bdf3b68494137401c0f4551965f265.jpg

I am staying in horrible accomodation having a horrible time
a704715704543029ca97b5525c728e29.jpg

The views aren't bad:
381c9d7f69fcf6250932cfd951f4279e.jpg

The swimming pool is lonely
bbd35f600aae5cba328c363f463eb69d.jpg

I was offered the opportunity to go drinking beer and eating crocodile (no it's not a euphemism AFAIK) with a police motorcyclist*♀️ friend of Yves based nearby. But like the wuss I am, I declined (plus didn't fancy riding back to hotel after a beer and with impending thunderstorms and rain.

It was definitely a good idea to start off in a Subday as the city traffic was light plus you get to see everyone in their finery on the way to church

Before leaving Ireland my mate (that did the Morocco to Joburg run) got a "quantity" of Irish Police hat badges. He used them to ease his passage at checkpoints and customs posts. He found like you that the local traffic cops were very friendly. ;)

Before leaving Ireland my mate (that did the Morocco to Joburg run) got a "quantity" of Irish Police hat badges. He used them to ease his passage at checkpoints and customs posts. He found like you that the local traffic cops were very friendly. ;)

In the more remote spots them and soldiers at their blocks are often bored and enjoy a yarn. Why are you here, where are you going, where is your wife, etc etc. Wee gifts to give them generally avoid bribes being requested.
And it's often an interesting two way chat.
Safe and happy travels

Thanks guys. I have a supply of postcards (of London) and biros just in case...

Back
Top Bottom