Gael warning in the Congo

All this makes the subs worth every penny :thumby:

:popcorn:Motomartin :D

:beerjug:

Thanks Micky and also GSpod, Jockser , Barak, Rich C, Northern Jock and others for your comments which are much appreciated! Look forward to the opportunity of seeing you all in person in 2022 I hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Simon,
The forward point goes under the existing pannier bracket (rear) and has the option of putting a second screw in (Usually CSK)
At the rack IIRC its just some spacers and long bolts

So after a long day on the trails yesterday, I decided to take advantage of a foggy morning and re-examine the situation with my topbox, seemingly welded to the base plate.
27ef463627b9a5cb83f9d616b133850f.jpg

Endless application of WD40 to the stuck lock for the catch was having no effect so I decided a little brute force was in order and a large screwdriver easily sprang the catch.

So after at least 15 years together the two were parted
d19b5314a9d2fd6d8aef8d5af48cd401.jpg

e5f16a7ae4875179b76319d681295c74.jpg

A closer examination of the lock shows the accumulated crud from trips to Syria, Iran, Africa over the years
6a872d2b9dd994bead8d5bb72599fb3f.jpg

6ef6010adcd306596f2b6635bcdb32a0.jpg

And I must have totally forgotten (and concealed by the top box) weight warning .
b8bafcefdcb74cee1afff3ff922fbad7.jpg

I think that with the Wunderlich reinforcement brackets I have ordered following the wise counsel of this site, and if I am resist putting more than light stuff in the box, it may all see me out on my next travels.

So thanks to Big Rob for the offer of a top box, I shall stick with the solid Hepco and Becker with the addition of a replacement lock barrel
37a3299d3f2878fc7bcf44b1f4a8ea84.jpg

Si just to close this chapter (I hope there will be more!):

The GS has been heavily fettled by the Prince of Putney, Steptoe.

In addition to a full service, the ABS was properly removed, fuel filter and U tube replaced, fork seals replaced and new battery fitted. As the old starter motor had seen 100,000 demanding miles (and sounded like it) that was replaced today by an eBay sourced new one and now the bike is running like a sewing machine.

The old, worn tooth one:
IMG_3324.jpg
A fine pair of Wally flaps are now installed thanks to a member of this parish , and a used Tucano gaucho arrived yesterday - equally sourced from the GSer collective!

A fair amount of work for Neil, as the fuel system was gunned up somewhat by 2 year old Bulgarian fuel and he found a lot of crud in the tank. A throttle body was no longer adjustable (Angolan antics bite back!) but fortunately Steptoe’s magic shed contained a replacement .

During the fettling I received various worrying messages from Neil like ‘Cor your bike is hard to start…’. Fortunately he triumphed but it made me feel better about my decision to ship the bike back from Bulgaria as I would have struggled mightily to get it back in service out there. Phew!

With the addition of brand new Metzeler TKC70s the bike is feeling planted and fun to ride - although now covered in crud after my ride through a storm back from Steptoe’s this morning.IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

Great to see Simon. That starter motor could tell some tales... Like in Angola, when they tried to start it with the cylinders filled with petrol.

Sounds like the bike and its owner is ready and raring for another challenge.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I haven't got anything useful to say. I just wanted to join in with the grown ups.

That almost caused a coffee over laptop situation!:D

Great stuff Simon, we need to you get the bike sorted and back on a trip so we have something to read!

Thanks BRD!
And now with hugger fitted thanks to BigRob of this parish! (I know it will have to come off when I start on rough roads again, but it’s going to be needed for the British winter/spring.
67202cdf853ee248f498a909e82f4169.jpg

Now just looking for one of those plates for the reg plate that also help reduce the muck spray. Any suggestions from around the UKGSer collective?

Back
Top Bottom