Gael warning in the Congo

I want to extol the virtues of this little bit of kit I wish I had acquired sooner
7c36d673be1d76fd8a4ba905683eabab.jpg

I am using it for every fill-up and without exception there is 10 centilitres or so of liquid that stays in the funnel from every fill-up which I take to be water or similar.

Hiweveu since those two days if an unhappy engine, the bike has been running very sweetly which I put down to filtering the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Simon,

Loving reading your RR as much as the last one.

Please can you tell me what kind of filter that is? Looks like it would be worth getting one for my trip next year

Paul

Just safely arrived at Dessie in Ethiopian Highlands after a demanding but great 400 km ride from Addis that took over 8 hours, many of them on winding mountain roads at 3,000 metres.

Although there was another 200+ kms of windy road to my destination, at 3.30 I packed it in as I has been riding continually (other than petrol and photo breaks) for over 8 hours.

A little taster and why I took a break

bec33c105e6d7a80ac3844d56754abad.jpg

Seems the city of Dessie is quite a big one with a population of 600,000 plus. Walked around for an hour before dark and did not see another European.

Afraid WiFi is rubbish and Ethiopian 3G on my local SIM does not support picture upload....so you will have to use your imagination for a bit

Thanks Simon :thumb

Whilst I remember, proothe single most important piece of equipment has been a loud born. I must have sounded it 200+ tines today...to signal an overtake, move a tuktuk out of the way, earn an adult or a child thar I am there and they should stop running into the road.

Not quite as effective with camels and cows of which many hundreds today on the roads...but my Stiebel horn is worth its weight in gold to me right now.

Now in Lalibela after a challenging ride on 70 kms of rocky pistes climbing and descending through the Simien mountains... the GS fully loaded with two Jerry cans of petrol is a heavy beast when you are scrabbling up from a rocky culvert (and there were quite a few some dry and some not.

I was worried something might cracks or fall off as the bike was taking a real bashing in done if the frequent irrigation channels across the hard packed and corrugated roads.

But she (and I) survived altho I am concerned the front bearings may deteriorate further.

Just walked some kilometers to visit the various rock hewn churches. Now officially knackered.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

As I seem to have decent WiFi up here in the mountains, I will post a few photos from the past 48 hours to illustrate the fabulous scenery. In fact yesterday morning I consciously told my self to just take my time and saviour, rather than riding on a mission!
So here goes...
Much discussion about who is next for petrol
73d8d4ab18578eb578350a996ee4365f.jpg

One of abou100 or more monkeys on the road
eaa0aaf7e7a994d4f1b5b524ed0c25b9.jpg

9b62092e22e0650a49d6df6911147307.jpg
f2540439635835e9044cf0766a395952.jpg

c3809daf3112ab7bb3188c7e6bc8a8b8.jpg

One of the many buses...I had just passed him!
526d9dd78caadddc07fc3a2e640298e8.jpg

The bike loaded up with 7 litres in jerry cans and a track pump in case of puncture

6b0ba3cb3a158fe0193d2c8983e7ebe5.jpg

Dessie has tyres....just not.motorcycle ones!

Dawn this morning was cool...so had me hit tea prepared for the flask in the Simien cafe who also did me a fantastic omelette. The subsequent ride was going to prove that I needed sustenance!
975424bec982aa33195e8e9c11af954f.jpg
9640d1474b7e1ae07a16e5a9310a09f3.jpg

Stunning scenery, photos are very evocative. Enjoy it while you are there, you probably won't be back to these spots. Though when you're searching for petrol (etc) enjoyment is far from the current emotion!

So I was doing a Jockser look
View attachment 426201
Jaysus Simon, if ya think that oul yoke is a sartorial match for a Yingbo you’re sadly mistaken
The Yingbo is the ultimate motorcycle oversuit for "adventurers in the know"
I mean, just lookat that...

Admittedly the model makes a big difference too :p

Loving the report :thumb Although I don't post on it very often you'll be glad to know I am following along :rob

Jockser I will certainly concede the beauty of the Yingbo but point out the absence of hi viz����.

Anyway, good to know you are along for the trip. I could have used your presence this morning when I stopped on the trip to admire the view.i was soon joined by 5 shepherd lads whose main English vocabulary was ‘Money!’

So I decided to move off swiftly as I didn’t like where the conversation was going. But the bike refused to move. I quickly worked out that one of the cheeky chaps had shoved his shepherds crook in the wheel. When I looked at him he withdrew it and I could pull away. But it left a sour taste and I wonder how (as in Morocco) the kids have all learned to chase farangi (foreigners) and ask for money.

So mixed feelings about this and at Lalibela there are lots of hustlers and would be guides so having gone around 6 churches this afternoon I will be out of here in the morning!

Rain gear

Jockser I will certainly concede the beauty of the Yingbo but point out the absence of hi viz😖🤓.

Anyway, good to know you are along for the trip. I could have used your presence this morning when I stopped on the trip to admire the view.i was soon joined by 5 shepherd lads whose main English vocabulary was ‘Money!’

So I decided to move off swiftly as I didn’t like where the conversation was going. But the bike refused to move. I quickly worked out that one of the cheeky chaps had shoved his shepherds crook in the wheel. When I looked at him he withdrew it and I could pull away. But it left a sour taste and I wonder how (as in Morocco) the kids have all learned to chase farangi (foreigners) and ask for money.

So mixed feelings about this and at Lalibela there are lots of hustlers and would be guides so having gone around 6 churches this afternoon I will be out of here in the morning!

Jockser I will certainly concede the beauty of the Yingbo but point out the absence of hi viz😖🤓.

Yeah, yeah. what’s this then...

Besides, you ask Tarka about the suitability of hi-viz as motorcycle apparel :D

Anyway, back to your report..... :beerjug:

Guys a quick request for technical help as don’t have the bandwidth to search the ukgser archive.

The oil filler has been leaking badly these last two days despite the fitting of new rings in Nairobi (on the filler).

I will take a look later but any suggestions on a quick fix? Would a rubber band help?

I know when I had this in Iran Steptoe had a suggestion but I cannot for the life of me remember it

Guys a quick request for technical help as don’t have the bandwidth to search the ukgser archive.

The oil filler has been leaking badly these last two days despite the fitting of new rings in Nairobi (on the filler).

I will take a look later but any suggestions on a quick fix? Would a rubber band help?

I know when I had this in Iran Steptoe had a suggestion but I cannot for the life of me remember it

I'll send him a PM to let him know

Back
Top Bottom