Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Gael warning in the Congo

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    At one corner I was overtaking a local bus when we met a logging truck. I thought I had given it a wide enough berth but was surprised by an overhanging tree trunk at the rear, which came rapidly towards me as it negotiated the corner. Thankfully I have a nimble bike, if a less nimble brain and the risk of damaging this hardwood tree with my head was avoided. We stopped as we could feel raindrops and parked up before returning. The forest seemed alive with life but nothing was visible. It seemed sad that this habitat was being destroyed by the intense logging. I suppose however many of us have real garden and domestic furniture.
    Anyway, while waiting we had to have a photo of the bikes next to the rainforest. You know my bike will also become a BMW GS when it grows up!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On our way out we had spotted a roadside cafe and stopped there on the way back. We parked up and joined the truckers and locals while we had a cold drink. Across the road was a market and occasionally someone would approach the diners in the cafe with various smoked animals. Some appeared to be birds but others clearly had tails. Photos were not encouraged so you'll have to use your imagination.
    The market is behind that inconveniently parked motorbike.

After our drink I was happy to be back on the bike. I was getting used to it's handling and how to get the best out of the little engine. I was conscious of the advice to run it in moderately but did not take it as mandatory. The little engine was running sweetly and started immediatly on the button. But Ialso had noticed the brake issue was not improving and planned a return to the garage to get it sorted.

Before we left the forest, Simon spotted this sign, advertising a chargable viewing of upcoming football games, including a Spurs v Man U game. To summarise the French text, "If you don't come with the money, stay at home!"

The dangers if this road were underlined to us, as we came across these 2 accidents. One a badly damaged truck which appeared to have hit something very solid, possibly a broken down logging truck. The damage was extensive!

We then came across this gravel truck which had left the road, seriously injuring the driver. I'd like to say we rode a little slower after these but we carried on as before.

So as soon as we had returned to the hotel and had lunch we visited the Suzuki garage. The problem with the front brake had to be fixed. My suggestion, when I first noticed the problem was to replace the front wheel with the known good one I had tested. While this was not done at the time, with Simon's support, we got a commitment from management it would be done if the problem persisted. In short, the whell was replaced this afternoon and the problem resolved. I suspect the brake drum was deformed or had a manufacturing defect. After travelling 185 km I filled up with petrol, to find I had used 4.4 litres. That's about 118 MPG which I think is 2.3L/100km for my continental friends. It is too late to calculate for American gallons. We finished another great day by catching our first sunset at the beach bar and I'll only show you 2 of the 20 shots I took.

This sunset photobombed by a dog!

And this sunset photobombed by a ship. It's a tough life this adventure travelling! Tomorrow brings the joys of a border and another country.

Greatly enjoying your continued adventures and eagerly await more posts.

Ride safe guys.

A first encounter in Cabinda, Angola this afternoon after a very long and arduous border crossing
    Name:  IMG_2217.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  221.3 KB

Jim is checking out his head am photos so there may be more from the lush Congolese/Cabindan countryside

And of course the police presence...perhaps heightened by the adjacent Congolese crisis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh Yes.... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    Greatly enjoying your continued adventures and eagerly await more posts.

Ride safe guys.
    Absolutely.

Just wish I could do such a trip..
    Perfekt ist nicht gut genug.

UKGSER-A place where I've wasted so much time, learned so much, laughed a lot and cried a few times.

Every bed of roses has pricks in it!

Ash: sorry you can’t be here in person but Jim and I feel like you are riding with us!

Today was a day of gathering information about how we will get across the River Congo.

We rode down to the beach this morning
    Name:  IMG_2227.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  236.9 KB

I have been/still am a bit trepadacious about how the heavy GS will be lifted on to one of the pirogues.

Devil may care... Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by simondippenhall View Post
    Ash: sorry you can’t be here in person but Jim and I feel like you are riding with us!

Today was a day of gathering information about how we will get across the River Congo.

We rode down to the beach this morning
    Name:  IMG_2227.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  236.9 KB

I have been/still am a bit trepadacious about how the heavy GS will be lifted on to one of the pirogues.

scaffold poles i suspect and four strong locals......

We went off to the military airport to see if we could hitchhike on a military plane and were told there might be one in the morning.

As this couldn’t be relied on we decided to check out the loading prose of the pirogue guys. Our timing was spot on as they were about to load a car!

Name:  IMG_2229.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  209.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2245.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  216.5 KB
    Done!

Was an interesting day as Simon suggests, with 2 cisits to the beach and one to the airport. We also got SIMs for our phones. While we were looking at the guys loading the car we looked around the bay.

Thefe were fishermen, some standing on the sand bank and casting a net, others in small boats.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

There were also a few partly dilapidated ships in the harbour.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast