Pre warranty expiration service/checkover

Cheers
I think the monthly option with the larger excess will be the way to go.

Am thinking the larger excess myself :thumb2, as it's really only the big ticket items (rear shock etc.) that I'd be getting the warranty cover for. When (or more hopefully, if) it comes to it I could swallow the €135 easily enough. But I'd rather save myself the 60 odd quid and pay upfront - paying more for the same thing just galls me! :)

Just for interest Quote from Warranty Direct on 2017 GS 10000 miles £333. No recovery. Look at what is covered on their site it is pretty comprehensive and you can get an on line quote. I used them when I had my Tiger explorer. Excellent. Just need to phone first to make absolutely sure they what they will cover if in doubt My BMW warranty covers me until June next year when I will go for them. Only proviso Bike must be serviced at VAT registered garage.

Check small print if you might want to sell the bike privately together with the remainder of the warranty. Bmw car warranties paid monthly are NOT transferable to new owner, whereas paid upfront warranties are. I think the bike warranties are the same.

If you pay up front but trade in the bike (the warranty is not transferable in to the trade) you get a pro rata refund of the unexpired warranty. I expect (but don’t remember) that you would only get a pro rata refund if you hadn’t made a claim.

Tricky bizniz like everything these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the extended warranty on my 2011 gsa and I think is well worth the money , I have the zero excess which cost me £43 a month but as the bike is paid for it’s no big deal .if you go abroad on the bike the breakdown cover is around £50-60 so deduct that from the total cost , had a issue with the bike in Switzerland this year just rang the number on the card and was taken to a motorrad dealer who checked it out no cost to me .

I’ve just taken the extended warranty last week, full fat cover with no excess and breakdown assistance - £455.85. I needed a rear shock on my previous GSA, a 2009 bike with ESA, cost was £1300, so peace of mind for less than half the price of a new shock !

Quotes are as follows:by

With Roadside Assistance included:

€0 excess
€482 single payment or €45/month (€540 in total)

€70 excess
€443 single payment

€135 excess
€409 single payment or €39/month (€468 in total)

No Roadside Assistance reduces overall premium by €30

I take it this is ROI pricing? I've just run a sample quote on someone else's 2016 GS and UK pricing looks pretty similar...

Based on the new customer rates for UK bikes, a named component warranty (pretty comprehensive it seems) with a £100 excess is £380 including European Roadside Assistance (which is £30 if included or £145 to buy separately). An existing warranty renewal would probably be 20% discount based on my experience with BMW car warranties.

My bike had gone over 11000 miles and was 23 months old so I booked it in for a 12k/annual service and warranty check. I mentioned a slightly notchy info button on the LH switchgear. they changed that, serviced the bike and declared it otherwise okay. Bike has been running lovely in Spain & Portugal in last 2 weeks. My warranty ran out yesterday - not taken out the extended warranty. Will mull over it during my 2 nights in Bilbao and a 24 hours in the ferry. I have Startrescue breakdown cover if shit happens in the 15 miles to the port or from Portsmouth to home.

Am thinking the larger excess myself :thumb2, as it's really only the big ticket items (rear shock etc.) that I'd be getting the warranty cover for. When (or more hopefully, if) it comes to it I could swallow the €135 easily enough. But I'd rather save myself the 60 odd quid and pay upfront - paying more for the same thing just galls me! :)
Don’t know if your warranty will cover the suspension as after 30000 miles the original factory warranty does not ,be worth checking

Warranty work

Well this is my first BMW, It is a GSA and love it, I currently have 18900 miles on the clock and although it was 2years old in September my warrenty runs out in February 2019 as i bought it from the dealers as there ex demo with two years warrenty. Since owner ship I have had the Forks done under the recall, at the 12000 service the left hand switch gear was replaced, at the 18000 service this month I reported a rattle to them coming from the right cylinder that turned out to be a dodgy exhaust valve / they also identified a dodgy valve in the exhaust at that service that required the exhaust to be replaced and the pivot bearings on the shaft drive needed replacing ! !!

I will be taking out the extended Policy given what has gonevwrong so far. Non of the above has caused the bike to let me down. But If i still owned my Honda Crosstourer would i be thinking of an extended warrenty i doubt it.

Still love the bike though

Hummed and hawed for a while and eventually went for the full fat cover with no excess and roadside assistance. Money well spent I hope... :thumb2

Ah, renewal time again - just handed over €409 of my well earned to Motorrad Insurance. Only bike I've ever owned that needed two insurance policies! :eek:

Piece of mind doesn't come free I suppose.....:rolleyes:

BMW do a free end of warranty inspection. If anything at all is suspect they complete the works at premium rates/parts and invoice the mothership after all it's their last chance to get something back.

That seems very reasonable, especially a simple breakdown can be costly, if you are overseas.

Is it that reasonable ? ... it's just insurance at the end of the day, for less than these premiums I can get fully comp on a Jaguar, or contents insurance, or life insurance etc.. much bigger pay out risks for smaller premiums.

The total hit and the very worst outcome for BMW would be the cost price of a new GS, which has to be a lot less than £10k.

Fuel saves £300 - but is it a false economy

After mulling over the, "to warranty or not to warranty" question for a few weeks, finally decided to go for it. Phoned the warranty peeps, had card at the ready and......

They declined, due to my bike's Fuel end can:blast

Oh well, that's that decision made for me!

My 2 yr old bike went in for end of warranty check last month, passed no problems.

On way home ABS & TC warning lights came on, stopped/switched off & back on and no further problems. Week later rode bike again and same problem. Back to dealer & “software update” (non tft) and all ok.

Next ride “oil level low” comes up on dash. No red or amber lights just words. No dramas Nav5 says check level & top up as required at next convenient time. I put a tea cup worth in for peace of mind.

In 2yrs of ownership bike has been faultless, then twice in as many weeks after warranty check over.

Made me decide that extended warranty was the way forward.
Coincidence......hmm ?

My 2 yr old bike went in for end of warranty check last month, passed no problems.

On way home ABS & TC warning lights came on, stopped/switched off & back on and no further problems. Week later rode bike again and same problem. Back to dealer & “software update” (non tft) and all ok.

Next ride “oil level low” comes up on dash. No red or amber lights just words. No dramas Nav5 says check level & top up as required at next convenient time. I put a tea cup worth in for peace of mind.

In 2yrs of ownership bike has been faultless, then twice in as many weeks after warranty check over.

Made me decide that extended warranty was the way forward.
Coincidence......hmm ?

General concensus seems to be that the extended warranty is a no brainer. I'm still surprised that a non standard end can meant that they wouldn't cover my bike, when the standard manufacturer's warranty was unaffected by it. Guess I've still got the option of refitting the original or getting an Akrapovic, which they were happy with!

I have the extended warranty on my 2011 gsa and I think is well worth the money , I have the zero excess which cost me £43 a month but as the bike is paid for it’s no big deal .if you go abroad on the bike the breakdown cover is around £50-60 so deduct that from the total cost , had a issue with the bike in Switzerland this year just rang the number on the card and was taken to a motorrad dealer who checked it out no cost to me .

Using your figures I’ve saved myself over £2,500 on my 2012 GSA by not having extended the warranty. Happy days.

Not read all of this but but recently my 530D was invited in for an end of warranty check and its first MOT ... all was fine and so with only 20,000 miles on the clock the "5* everything covered" and BMW assist recovery is only £73 a month ... I thought that was pretty good. I can only imagine what any major failure would set me back ... So when it comes to doing the bike I imagine it would be a similar process ....

Back
Top Bottom