New bike

Hut van

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just sold my gs LC , so world,s my oyster for a new bike.
Problem is what to buy.
I had the gs from new in 2013 and unlike some folk on this forum never had one minute of trouble with it, yes it had a notchy gearbox but no worse than one of my mates TC. Been over to Europe a few times and all over Scotland and Ireland great bike but fancied a change.
My mate now has an 2016 RS this bike has a much smoother engine ,gearbox and the seat height suits my 5'8 frame better however it may be time to try another make.
I can't make my mind up to go retro with the Kawasaki cafe or some of the scramblers but I may still want to do some tours so decisions.
I suppose some test rides are due, also going to necc in November for a look.
What's your thoughts ?
Looking to spend £11000 ish

Cheers

I have had all sorts of Bikes from Sports to GS1200. Last one was a KTM 1190. Loved the way it went, but. Like you I’m vertically challenged. Riding is dead easy. Even stopping and starting, but they are so big to move around and it takes all the pleasure away.
I had a go on an R1200RS. Loved it, bought one. Had it a year and still like it. Test one and I think you will like it.
You also have the added advantage of standing out from the crowd. And people will ask you what is it as they aren’t that common

I may be biased but......... I've had mine two years and absolutely love it,with my hand on my cold dark heart I can honestly say it's the best bike I've ever ridden. It's had a few minor niggles that have been sorted under warranty,bit of corrosion,facia steaming up and new rear shock but other than that it's been perfect. It'll do everything you'll ever need.
Take one for another spin and see for yourself,I could wax lyrical about how this bike will run with sportsbikes on the twisties,gives tank range comfort,so much fun to ride until your eyes glaze over.........
If you do get one,make sure it's a Lupin,they're lighter and faster.
Good luck.

Go for a test ride. Cotswold in Cheltenham have an RS demo bike on the fleet - I rode it when my bike had a service.

There's a new 1250 version coming out in the spring so you might get a nearly new 1200 for your 11k.

I have just got back from riding over 2000 miles around Spain & Portugal on my RS SE Sport. It's a great bike for such a trip.

RS

Thanks for the comments guys, has there been any up dates to the engine /gearbox since its release, like GS got a few years ago.
There is a 2018 sport SE up fr sale privately close to me it's advertised at £12500 ish and it has full BMW luggage which I don't want as I prefer soft bags with just a top box when needed.
Do you think an offer of £11000 without the luggage is to cheeky, I do think £12500 is a little steep from a private sale maybe not if it was a dealer with 2 year warranty and maybe some freebie thrown in?
Brian

Apparently the 2017 model has a smoother box,not having ridden one I can neither confirm nor deny that.

Having ridden and owned both I can confirm that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My bike is a Euro 3 2016, I rode a Euro 4 2018 bike last month as a service loan bike. I really could not tell the difference between the two, apart from the peg & bar position as I have lowered my pegs and raised my bars.

Performance seemed the same and the thing that allegedly improved, the quickshifter gearbox, seemed much the same as my bike. Same clunk you get with all boxers when engaging first gear and you need to use the clutch to go from 1-2 and 2-3 as that remains a bit clunky. Quickshift fine in higher gears and very good on downshifts, which is where I use it more.

Try to ride the bike you are going to buy and decide for yourself.

£12500 is too much for that bike with a private sale, assuming it is an early 2018 bike. Make your offer and remind the seller that a new 1250 version is coming out and since July, BMW has been offering a 3 year warranty on the bike. Inevitably, this will affect all 1200 prices.

I have. 2015 RS and am very happy with it. I searched long and hard for a non-ESA version. IMHO the ESA on this model is horrible - too stiff and under-damped and I discounted this model until I got a non-ESA bike as a loan, and the ride quality was much better. It suffers from not having a comfort mode like the previous GS (and the newer set-levelling suspension which is just about OK on Road as there’s no “comfort” anymore). Quickshifter seems much slicker in this bike than any GS I’ve owned. Get one that is spotless as there are plenty for sale and as a less popular model it’s a buyer’s market. I could have looked at the Z1000SX or similar but wanted a shaft drive as I’m likely to be doing 20K miles per year and didn’t fancy the gaff and muck of a chain on cold winter days :thumb

went from in line 4s to the boxer after says never love the RS though would look for the SE sport. I have the 2017 and the gearbox is ok, quickshifter so much fu my only gripe is the screen which I changed to a x-creen.

As N1Rat says at least you won't have to see see loads of them on the road.

I do think £12500 is a little steep from a private sale maybe not if it was a dealer with 2 year warranty and maybe some freebie thrown in?
Agree it's too high; though if it's a 2018 model won't there be an existing transferable warranty?
Also you'd be able to get a reasonable whack back for flogging on the luggage.

I think the bike was registered in May this year so still 18 month warranty ish.
I'm on holiday this week so think I will give him a call on return and feel it out,
I'm not in a rush to buy as I'm going to the bike show to have a look at what's out there and I don't use the bike in the winter anyway.
The ball may be on my side if it doesn't sell and I make him a Christmas offer.

if anyone has a set of luggage for sale let me know,as long as they fit the 2017 r1200r that is ?
realistically,my R is the same machine as the rs,my mate just purchased a new on and loves it.
also, there brilliant on fuel i would say.

Back
Top Bottom