Really Confused Advice Needed

5jms5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good afternoon
I have a 2015 gs te without Sat Nav preparation.
What advantages would the Motorrad version give me over a Garmin Zumo?
Would a Tomtom Rider do as much as either of the above?
Could I get preparation retro fitted or is it way too expensive
I have searched but not really found the answer.
Cheers Guys

I've got sat nav prep but have removed the Garmin cradle and used the power supply for my TomTom Rider

Even without sat nav prep you should have the loom plug I'd guess

Works great for me

IMHO Nav6 is only useful if you have the wonder wheel, and like to have your bike info on the satnav also, if not Tom Tom or Zumo is perfect.

Couple of questions ...

1. How important is it to have BMW oem satnav?

If the answer is "Not so much." then go to 2.

2. How much do you want to spend?

If you have a few hundred quid spare then consider Tom Tom or Garmin via suitable mount and wiring via the plug on the loom or straight across the battery via fused lead. You can do the same for other, much cheaper sat navs. I'm still using my Zumo 550 and, while it needs the occasional hard re-set when it acts up, it still works fine on my 1200RT.

I’ve had Garmin for years right from Quest through 2610 etc up to 590.

Bought a Tom Tom Ridet 550 this summer .

Won’t be going back to Garmin again !!!
Updates over WiFi.
Plan routes on phone/iPad/laptop and syncs straight to TomTom.

Quad core too do very fast to re-route etc .

So much better

If you are set on the adventure must haves - its a Garmin. If you want a sat nav that seems easier to use, Tom Tom is fine. I have a garmin, I like mine. I can struggle through basecamp and have made loads of routes and even more screwed up routes. It is what it is. I think the tom tom now is more user friendly and developing their products faster,, with more functionality that just works. Garmin is fast becoming the android to Tom Tom's Apple...IMO. As for power, it is still just a 12v supply that it needs...not sure this helps too much but i guess garmin is the waitrose, tom tom is the asda..same product in reality

Good afternoon
I have a 2015 gs te without Sat Nav preparation.
What advantages would the Motorrad version give me over a Garmin Zumo?
Would a Tomtom Rider do as much as either of the above?
Could I get preparation retro fitted or is it way too expensive
I have searched but not really found the answer.
Cheers Guys

If you want something that integrates with your bike (assuming it has the iwheel thing) then the BMW branded Garmin made version is the only thing that will do it.

If you don’t want to use or don’t have the iwheel thing, then the generic Garmin device will be cheaper.

If you want to plot your own routes from A to E via all the letters in between, then arguably the BMW / Garmin versions are the ones to go for

If you prefer to let the device tell you how to get from A to E via all the letters in between, then bods report that the TomTom branded devices are better for them

Fitting the cradle and powering any of the devices is reasonably easy, especially if you buy a new one. Secondhand ones sometimes have their wires snipped by less than caring, lazy previous owners. There are lots of threads on how to install everything, power tge devices etc but it really is pretty straightforward with just a couple of tools.

I had the basic gs no nav prep,
the power feed is behind the right side of the beak, bmw do an adapter plug to wire any nav in,
Mounting the support bar and navigator is easy and doesnt need any dismantlig,
The bmw nav benefits you only if you have the wonder wheel,
You can fit a new left grip and wonder wheel to the existing left switchgear,
Plus the bww mount and code it in,, if you really want hands free,,at a cost,

I have the mounting bar / bracket and block to mount the nav to the bar if you need one,
Roamer

Thanks for all the help guys. I am going to purchase a TomTom 550 with locking mount. Probably get the premium packed one.
Cheers
John

a friend just collected a GS exclusive , that bike was peeped for Nav. He took the cradle of the bar and fitted his TOM TOM. to power it he purchased the tom tom lead and its just a plug and play where the BMW lead goes into. does exactly what he wants as he was not bothered about using the wheel on the bike

That’s good news I don’t have nav prep so feel the TomTom is the best choice for me.

I recently bought a TomTom 450 Premium pack and had it hard wired to the Crosstourer with the supplied mount and having recently returned from a trip to the Picos and Pyrenees using routes planned via MyDrive I can truthfully say that I’m well chuffed with the unit as it performed faultlessly.

Is the premium pack worth the extra money for locking and hard case?

Sorry my mistake it was the “world” version of the 450 I bought not the “Premium” and I then bought a Digicharge hard satnav case for the TomTom 450 off amazon for £7.50 which fits perfectly.
So to answer your question, no it’s not worth the extra money.

Hi All
Had a right result brand new unopened TomTom 550 premium for £299
Boom! Happy days lead ordered from Nippys

I am an all round dry weather rider!!!!

Back
Top Bottom