Corrosion / rust

markymark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've read all the Reviews & seen most of the youtube clips about how good the R1200 RS is when new, but how is the corrosion after a few years of use ?

I've seen a lot of BMW's some with only a few hundred miles on the clock, looking in a very sorry state due to rust & corrosion. :eek:

I'm NOT looking for a slagging match (about how good or bad BMW's are) but want to be prepared to keep my new bike corrosion / rust free for as long as possible.

What parts as owners, would you say need special attention ? Photo's would really help this post :thumb2

Is ACF50 still the most popular treatment ? It's been a few years since my last GSA but looking forward to getting back on a boxer :bow

Cheers in advance :cool:

Yes it's still people's go to for protection,there were lots of posts about it on the old forum and I believe a few on the new one too.
As stated elsewhere my three month old RS started to corrode after being left dirty for two days(Christmas day and Boxing day while I was on the piss). It's not something you expect when you pay twelve grand for a bike is it now. The centre stand gas been rubbed down and has had a couple of coats of hammerite to cover the rust too.
Now I think BMW quality control need a fucking good kick in the bollocks for sending bikes out with sub standard parts.
Use ACF everywhere,except brakes seat etc.
The RS is truly a fantastic motorcycle,if you get corrosion get onto your dealer and insist they do it under warranty.

My RS is over 3 years old now and not only is there no paint corrosion, but no fitting of bolts anywhere. Of course, the previous owner may have babies it and not ridden it in the rain but it seems to be holding up well so far. Then again I use Boeshield T-9 on all metal parts (no, not the brake discs), which, although ruinously expensive, has a much better quality of finish than ACF50, lasts for most of the winter, doesn’t wash off and has stopped the first signs of corrosion on a previous GS. It’s also marvellous for cast wheels :thumb

Just ‘cos I can . . . .

Centre stand just back from powder coater man.

Better than new.

Attachments

• 3B445F66-0B79-4C35-B240-FEEDD17B1989.jpg
    3B445F66-0B79-4C35-B240-FEEDD17B1989.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 6D31E6AE-79B4-480D-83EC-77F1000A3482.jpg
    6D31E6AE-79B4-480D-83EC-77F1000A3482.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 493
I don't think that bikes are any worse now than years ago. What has changed is the way that folk buy and use their machines. We are now in a world of leasing new bikes (not owning) and I have heard that pride of ownership has long diminished. Use it and take it back mentality can be blamed for many shoddy looking bikes. Certainly, my new BMW's have never shown a dot of corrosion on any of them; but I look after them and take pride in doing so :rob

My first RT (twin cam) was ACF'd, after riding through 3 winters, no corrosion. On my second RT (LC) I only rode bike intermittently through winter and only used ACF50 on bits I could see. The engine and frame under the bodywork was corroding at 4 years old.

I don't think that bikes are any worse now than years ago. What has changed is the way that folk buy and use their machines. We are now in a world of leasing new bikes (not owning) and I have heard that pride of ownership has long diminished. Use it and take it back mentality can be blamed for many shoddy looking bikes. Certainly, my new BMW's have never shown a dot of corrosion on any of them; but I look after them and take pride in doing so :rob

But do you ride them all year round on shitty, salted roads?

Serious question.

I freely admit that I'm a summer season rider (March to October), don't have to commute or worry about any other winter shit.

But, the centre stand paintwork still disintegrated in a way that one wouldn't have seen many years ago. So be it. 21st century shitty paint job.

The rest of the bike is pretty tidy and I have no plans to get rid of it. It ain't a "rental bike" either, so its overall condition does matter to me.

Back
Top Bottom