Thinking of buying G/S X

japes1275

Reaction score
I'm going through the motions of choosing my next bike and the G/S X is on the list, along with the F700 GS, Ducati Desert Sled and Triumph Street Scrambler. Basically I want an all round machine, general runs out, bit of light off road, occasional touring and something that looks and feels a bit special. The boring and probably best choice for me would be the 700 (would be a very late 17/18 reg in white/red) but it definitely ain't going to fulfil the last of my 'wants'!

The Triumph is nice looking but very plasticky and I've already got a couple of real Triumphs. The Desert Sled is fantastic and definitely best for off road but I'm not sure on the looks and it's a bit tall for me.

I've sat on a G/S X and liked the way it felt, I like most of the way it looks (my dad had an R80 GS PD which my sister now has) but I'm a bit dubious about the comfort of the seat/suspension and luggage carrying capacity - not that any of the scrambler style bikes are good for that. The G/S X is also the most basic with no rev counter, fuel gauge etc.

So finally my questions are:

Is the G/S X ok for light touring?

Would I be straight away be looking at expensive suspension/seat mods to make it comfortable?

What is the average fuel economy like?

Anyone use theirs off road?

Are there any reliability issues I need to know about?

Thanks!

John

The new Triumph 1200 Scrambler is due for launch end of this month but probably won't be on sale until next year whereas the GS/X can be had for £8800 otr now if you're quick enough :thumby:

These replies are for my Urban X

Generally ok for light touring, max I’ve done is 300 miles in a day but was ok.
Seat suspension mods are great idea but I’ve personally not changed either..
fuel averaging out at 54mpg..
used lightly off road, it’s taken a few knocks but no damage as yet..
Reliability no issues I know of as Engine has been well tried & tested in previous Gs

A more suitable option would be the 700gs, had both bikes last year, the 700 got stolen I didn’t replace it, the Urban I would replace it.
ALSO it’s a simple job to fit Rev counter with associated extra functions, fuel gauge counts down to empty so not a problem really.

Got quoted £367 from my dealer for all the parts for the rev counter and it looks a simple job to fit.

Bought an Urban a few weeks ago... My GSA LC hasn't been used since!
Loving the Urban. I've got used to not having a tachometer... It just doesn't bother me now... Probably prefer it without!

Seat is fine. Suspension a bit firm, but not too bad. At least 150 miles until the fuel light comes on. Think I'm going to add a small rack and tank back to my Christmas list.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Not really looking at buying just yet, probably in the new year so will be able to check out the 1200 Triumph - I can't see it being what I want though - too heavy and expensive I guess.

From what people have said I can't see why the Urban wouldn't fit the bill in most respects. Next step will be to take a test ride I think. I'm sure I'll be fine without a rev counter and other farkles would be more of a priority.

I looked at the new 750 and 850's while checking out the Urban G/S, didn't like them at all, much preferred the old 700 and 800. One thing I have noticed having looked at a few bikes is that the R Ninet's have a real quality feel to them, like where they've saved on the gizmos they've spent it on decent bits to put them together. The Ducati suprisingly also seems good in that respect, not so sure about the Triumphs though.

Thanks for the replies!

I found I was only using half the Rev range until I fitted the Rev counter, it’s a REALLY lively bike when I want it to be.. worth every £ to me..

Also a great time of year to buy a new bike, annual service comes at off peak time so cheaper & easier to get booked in

Not really looking at buying just yet, probably in the new year so will be able to check out the 1200 Triumph - I can't see it being what I want though - too heavy and expensive I guess

That's a shame because the Urban will not be £8800 next year

Not really looking at buying just yet, probably in the new year so will be able to check out the 1200 Triumph - I can't see it being what I want though - too heavy and expensive I guess.

From what people have said I can't see why the Urban wouldn't fit the bill in most respects. Next step will be to take a test ride I think. I'm sure I'll be fine without a rev counter and other farkles would be more of a priority.

I looked at the new 750 and 850's while checking out the Urban G/S, didn't like them at all, much preferred the old 700 and 800. One thing I have noticed having looked at a few bikes is that the R Ninet's have a real quality feel to them, like where they've saved on the gizmos they've spent it on decent bits to put them together. The Ducati suprisingly also seems good in that respect, not so sure about the Triumphs though.

Thanks for the replies!

Take a long test ride . Two of us sold Turbans when they proved to be the most uncomfortable bikes ever made, ever !!

I must admit it's pretty tempting - could almost pass it off as an investment!

I’ve been hanging my nose over the heritage range — not seen nothing for 8.8k yet — please share the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers Arsey, I'll make sure I do. One thing I noticed just sitting on it was that the side of the seat dug into the inside of my leg when sat with feet down. I try to avoid town riding but that could get pretty annoying when doing a lot of stop/start stuff.

Just under 300 miles on the Urban today... Mainly around the Dales and North Yorkshire Moors.
A bit bumpy at times, and I missed the fairing whilst doing a stint on the motorway to get home, but all good.
Glad I bought it. Wouldn't have wanted to pay £12k for it though!

Williams have a "68" pre reg for just under 10k. Who's doing them for £8.8?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I’ve been hanging my nose over the heritage range — not seen nothing for 8.8k yet — please share the news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call North Oxford Garage 01865 319000

They had seven brand new Urban GS X models. All with ASC and two with ASC and alarm :thumby:

£9300 otr or £8800 if you bought them using BMW Finance which comes with a 14 day cooling off period :augie

Back
Top Bottom