Suspension on 650 Dakar

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just returned from a trip around Southern Ireland and when replacing the BM on the trailer noticed it was rather bouncy on the rear end, so much so that the two rear retaining straps came off despite being tied down very securely. just looked at the handbook on return home and it states that the shock pre load should be wound in 21 clicks, trouble is, mine don't click! just goes in with no resistance. Does this mean the shock is shagged or am I being somewhat obtuse here?

There is nothing obtuse about asking a question, if we didn't we would not learn. Sorry I don't know the answer but I'm sure someone will come along and tell you. Maybe ask the same question in the pub section where there are more readers. :thumby:

Sounds like its knackered to me, you don't seem to have a lot of luck with your bike. PS If you decide to replace it I have a spare, PM me. John.

Take the preload adjuster off the bike and remove the union from shock.

Unwind the adjuster fully and hold the union higher than the adjuster.

Fill through the union with hydraulic jack oil from an oil can and refit trying to allow as little air into the system as possible.

I’m pretty sure the preload adjuster top has a ball bearing/spring arrangement that detent into 4 holes in the main body (12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock). I’d guess yours has lost the ball bearing or spring. It’s unlikely to be totally knackered. A quarter of a turn is equivalent to one click.

admit to failure

Have decided to rob my piggybank and buy a new, factory set for a fat bastard & wife Wilbers unit, not at liberty to say how much, but my eyes watered for some time! Just need to get the subframe off now, as the bike is sidelined for a few weeks decided to powder coat the rusty bits!

Back
Top Bottom