The Details

I've learnt from the master Aidan :D

:thumb

Depending on your route up both the Cake Box in Tuam & Les Petits Tartes in Athleague provide suitable nourishment to be included in "Jockser's Approved Eating Houses" under the "sticky bun" heading :D

I'm planning on a return visit to Cake Box on my way up, after doing the 2 Wolfhound points west of Lough Derg & The Brief near Woodlawn, just to ensure standards haven't slipped :aidan

Kev and I will be leaving Dublin Friday morning for a leisurely bimble across the country if anyone fancies joining us:thumb2
I reckon we'll be heading off at 9.30/10ish.

There will most definitely be tea and cake en route:bounce1

We are planning to visit Achill Island before heading to the hotel:)

Love Achill - one of my favourite places in all of Ireland. No doubt you already know...but if it's a clear day, ride to the top of Minaun and drink in the view over Keel beach. Just stunning.

An interesting or, depending on your point of view, useless piece of background information on Ballina.

In the Atacama desert region of Chile is Vallinar, a city of 60,000 people. The city is the capital of Huasco Province and was originally founded and named San Ambrosio de Ballynary in 1789 by Ambrose O'Higgins who was born in Ballinary, Co Sligo. The city changed it's name to Vallinar which is a Hispanicized version of Ballina.

His son Bernardo O'Higgins is revered in Chile as as a founding father and great liberator of the country from Spanish rule. There are many statues of him all over Chile and indeed, Peru/Argentina. Also many streets and buildings named in his honour.

Ambrose and Bernardo's exploits in South America are well worth checking out and lots of interesting details are available on Wikipedia etc.

A history and geography lesson on a UKGSER weekend........sure you can't be bad to that :rob:comfort:beerjug:

An interesting or, depending on your point of view, useless piece of background information on Ballina.

In the Atacama desert region of Chile is Vallinar, a city of 60,000 people. The city is the capital of Huasco Province and was originally founded and named San Ambrosio de Ballynary in 1789 by Ambrose O'Higgins who was born in Ballinary, Co Sligo. The city changed it's name to Vallinar which is a Hispanicized version of Ballina.

His son Bernardo O'Higgins is revered in Chile as as a founding father and great liberator of the country from Spanish rule. There are many statues of him all over Chile and indeed, Peru/Argentina. Also many streets and buildings named in his honour.

Ambrose and Bernardo's exploits in South America are well worth checking out and lots of interesting details are available on Wikipedia etc.

A history and geography lesson on a UKGSER weekend........sure you can't be bad to that :rob:comfort:beerjug:

Don't forget "our" distant relative (literally !!) - Lord Thomas Cochrane if you're going there ..... supposed founder of the Chilean Navy !!

Don't forget "our" distant relative (literally !!) - Lord Thomas Cochrane if you're going there ..... supposed founder of the Chilean Navy !!

From memory I think Bernardo O'Higgins founded the modern Chilean navy under the command of Admiral Cochrane, the 10th Earl of Dundonald. It is amazing the influence people from this wee part of the world have had on the history of so many countries :bow:bow:rob

Just a heads up that the Connermara Marathon is taking place on Sunday 14th. This will likely involve road closures/restrictions in the Leenane, Maum, Maam Cross, Recess area. Roads involved are the N59, R336 and R344. Race starts will take place from 9am until 12pm (different length courses).

From memory I think Bernardo O'Higgins founded the modern Chilean navy under the command of Admiral Cochrane, the 10th Earl of Dundonald. It is amazing the influence people from this wee part of the world have had on the history of so many countries :bow:bow:rob

check memory !!

I bow to superior knowledge and research (but Wikipedia says different!) :blast:beerjug:

O'Higgins was the ruler of Chile at the time. Unthinkable that a politician would take credit for another's work :nenau Wouldn't happen nowadays :augie:augie

Both these guys have fascinating biographies. Well worth a casual read on 'net.

Way off topic!

Looking forward to a great weekend in Ballina (Vallinar?)

:beerjug::friday

Had hoped to make a late entry bid - not this time - do enjoy yall. :aidan

Just arrieved...... it will have to do I suppose.......
0a888587765af8060e923bdbaadb7700.jpg
2263324fa37ab38c95eb141bc63fbb6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Cracking hotel, great grub and Guinness !! Lovely town, looking forward to tomorrow, cheers to Brian for introducing himself to Billy no mates ..
746840a733777a5ac16e313f906d832e.jpg
f44ffa0ef862d5f53c91475510051d14.jpg
edf8e6d470b40d0e315e12016eb0c330.jpg
7bc67e6b81bd778f0bdf5db3a40723e7.jpg
da6e818ef8f41b7af363e38322e05e3c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks to all, was a cracking weekend fair enjoyed myself, cheers to Adam and Mark and Lawrence for the company, and to anyone that came up to Billy no mates and made me feel very welcome indeed.
Had to get away sharp this morning to catch the ferry, which was a rather interesting ride to say the least, finally dried up at Enniskillen , not long in the door.
:beerjug: Baz.

thank you very much Geraldine and Brian for organizing another great weekend and Jochen for the run out on Saturday :clap:clap

Great to meet new people, thanks all for the laughs, chats and memories :thumb:thumb

please never leave me drinking with Ravenbyrne again :jager:barf:blast

Cracking weekend, Thanks to Geraldine Brian & Jochen, great to meet up again and have some good old laughs, enjoyed the spin out, Hotel and staff were great.

It looked like another perfectly organised weekend.
Jochen, your talents are wasted set up a motorcycle tour company.:)
I would have loved to have been there but..........

Attachments

• 20190329_114053.jpg
    20190329_114053.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 20190415_151247.jpg
    20190415_151247.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 200
Great weekend!
It was myself and Sarah's first weekend away on the bike together, our longest (by a LONG shot) pillion ride, and our first bad weather trip.

And the question i was asked when we got home? "Have you booked Leenan yet? Get on with it!" :beerjug:

Many thanks to Geraldine, Brian and our fearless leader Jockser. Great craic altogether.

Merv.

Back
Top Bottom