Siezed Swingarm bolt

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK this has just so got to be the last job on the planet I wanted to tackle but it has to be done, so any hints or tips would really be appreciated. As previously mentioned this bike has had a really hard life with mo maintenance whatsoever, prior to my ownership. As we now have a F650 Dakar each, the wife & I, and hers is immaculate, I would really like to give mine a mammoth makeover. So, removal of said bolt. its well & truly stuck, only have rudimentary tools, best one being a 4lb lump hammer but before I start something I know I shall regret, lets be having the best you can offer please?

First off check it's not a LH thread ;)

had a few of those before..

Go through the basics ..

Have you got a haynes manual or similar - does it document a certian way to remove the bolt?

If you can get access and arn't worried about the surrounding sufaces (paint) - apply heat with a heat gun / cold freeze and try shocking it loose.

Have you got an impact wrench you can put on the bolt and give it a whack?

Can you get some penetrant spray on the head etc

Worst case if you sheared the bolt - would a new nut bolt etc be the better way forward? Assuming you can get all the parts out

Morning Reg, they all do that, without regular maintenance , the 4 needles bearings require regular re-greasing and the grease thats there is not sealed in with proper bearing seals, just pieces of foam. When you have finished yours, I suggest you check your wife's bike too.
Suggest you go for this :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F-650-SWINGING-ARM-BEARING-KIT-/251093775523 and replace all the bearings and seals and you will also need 2 swing arm bushes from BMW, because yours will be rusted in solid along with the needle bearings, so lots of release fluid and your big hammer Reg will be the order of the day, if you wreck it I have a spare swing arm here, along with the long nut & bolt. John

Here goes!!!!!

Well, the suns out, I have an electric impact wrench with a spare charged battery, a six sided 22mm socket along with a 4ft long nut cracker and an old fork tube for extra leverage, if that doesn't move it its staying put and sod the refurb!

Good Luck Reg, let us know how it goes (or not) with pictures!

Well, the suns out, I have an electric impact wrench with a spare charged battery, a six sided 22mm socket along with a 4ft long nut cracker and an old fork tube for extra leverage, if that doesn't move it its staying put and sod the refurb!

I am defeated, have white finger from the impact wrench and a leccy bill through the roof after using the heat gun, its all going back together when the Wilbers arrives, and then off to find a Commercial Truck Garage with an air compressor and something over the 250 Nmetres gun I used today. Also going to try wintergreen oil, read somewhere it works wonders so a bottle has been ordered, will have to lie the heap down and soak it through each side.

Back luck Reg, was watching a program recently where on a stuck bolt a guy was heating it up and then pouring water on it repeatedly to free it up, now I'm not recommending this for you, as I've not tried it myself, but maybe someone else on here has tried it sucessfully.

Secondly, don't want to make you feel bad, but got my rebuilt swing arm/ suspension links and Ohlins shock installed today.

Back luck Reg, was watching a program recently where on a stuck bolt a guy was heating it up and then pouring water on it repeatedly to free it up, now I'm not recommending this for you, as I've not tried it myself, but maybe someone else on here has tried it sucessfully.

Secondly, don't want to make you feel bad, but got my rebuilt swing arm/ suspension links and Ohlins shock installed today.

Yep, rub it why don't you?

Wintergreen experiment started

Its back together and on its side in the compound with a good soaking of Wintergreen oil down the off side aperture that houses the washer & nut to swing arm bolt. Give it a day then turn it over, do the N/side the same, then off to a Commercial Truck Garage to have the sxxt shook out of it with an air impact wrench, fingers crossed!

Was looking at my spare engine earlier, there is a steel insert in the engine casing, where the swing arm bolt goes through, I guess that could well be where its rusted in, good luck Reg :)

Did you manage to get the bolt out?

I tried to remove mine today to take the chain off without cutting it. The nut undid without any problem and I could turn the bolt albeit with some stiffness. But I couldn't get the bolt out. I gave it a few whacks with a hammer and drift but it wouldn't budge, so I cut the chain off. The new one had a split link so fitted that until I get to my mate who can fit a rivetted link.

If the bolt is turning, you are better off getting it out before it rusts solid and replace/grease the swing arm bearings while your at it.:)

Did you manage to get the bolt out?

I tried to remove mine today to take the chain off without cutting it. The nut undid without any problem and I could turn the bolt albeit with some stiffness. But I couldn't get the bolt out. I gave it a few whacks with a hammer and drift but it wouldn't budge, so I cut the chain off. The new one had a split link so fitted that until I get to my mate who can fit a rivetted link.

Smash the bolt out

It will only get worse

I had to cut mine out (different bike but same issues and principe)

Swing arm wouldn't come off the back of engine

Had to take engine out with swing arm still attached to get access to the parts of the bolts nearest the engine cases

The only way I have ever got one out was by laying bike down supporting the frame with a piece of tubing over the head of bolt,on top of a anvil and using a big brass drift,and a small sledge hammer it took ages to get it set up right.but one big hit and it moved after days of trying. It needs to be absolutely solid when you hit it. Have used this method 4 times now with different bikes.

Back
Top Bottom