New to me K1200LT

nicholsonj2252

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently bought myself a K1200LT SE 1999 model (non "whizzy' ABS)

1 owner from new and only 40K mikes - very good condition

2r5yog5.jpg

It had stood for the last 10 years almost unused

Removed all of the Tupperware and gave it a full fluids and filter service , valves , spark plugs , stripped all brake calipers and fitted new fork seals

At some point in its past the bike must have had a "bird strike" as there was a mass of feathers under the fairing

When I removed the air filter this lot what was there ....

121vp1x.jpg

As you can see the date on the air filter is 2007

I have done just over 5000 miles on it in the last 4 weeks with various trips including London , Aberdeen and Inverness

Bike has not missed a beat and is so comfortable

As expected all things rubber are starting to fail so when I serviced it I had to replace all the original rubber brake lines with SS braided lines as well as new fork seals

Now thats I've done a few miles on it the Oil/Water pump has just started to weep and there is a very very light misting of oil at the engine gearbox lower joint

Going to leave the gearbox/engine oil misting issue until weather gets too bad to use bike and then do the rear main seal , gearbox seals and if needed a clutch friction plate

In the meantime stripped the oil pump off and as expected a corroded shaft/failed seals is the cause of the oil weep from the oil/water pump

Ordered up a new shaft and a seal kit and will get it fitted and the bike back on the road next week

24pieci.jpg

1192e74.jpg

2qvgy88.jpg

fxxao4.jpg

Had the slightly later version in the same colour. Great bike on a long run and quite flickable in the lanes once used to it. The centre stand always raised comments.

This bike is the reason why now I consider all bikes light in comparison. A 1200RT weighing 276 Kg with full fuel seems like a feather to the 378Kg of the LT. you would need to ride around all day with a 16 Stone passenger on the back or an RT to equal that. Load up with pax and luggage for a tour on the LT and you are over half a ton.

Enjoy it a great bike.

Had one of these for a few years, same year as well. Great bikes for touring, all day comfort with loads of luxury touches such as heated seats, cruise control, radio etc. I got to the point where I could remove all the tupperware in about 10 minutes. They are amazing on fuel as well if you are cruising around between 50-60mph. One problem I did have, which apparently was not unique, is the battery draining for no apparent reason. Turned out it was a known issue with the radio causing a slight drain and if the voltage dropped to a certain level there was a failsafe in the circuitry that would prevent the bike starting to protect the electrics. In the end I had a battery isolator fitted which cured the problem - I just had to reset the clock everytime I started the bike. I sold it to a chap on this forum who wanted it for his dad if I recall.

They are a bit of a handful when filtering on motorways when fully loaded as the front end can feel very vague and indistinct.

Had one of these for a few years, same year as well. Great bikes for touring, all day comfort with loads of luxury touches such as heated seats, cruise control, radio etc. I got to the point where I could remove all the tupperware in about 10 minutes. They are amazing on fuel as well if you are cruising around between 50-60mph. One problem I did have, which apparently was not unique, is the battery draining for no apparent reason. Turned out it was a known issue with the radio causing a slight drain and if the voltage dropped to a certain level there was a failsafe in the circuitry that would prevent the bike starting to protect the electrics. In the end I had a battery isolator fitted which cured the problem - I just had to reset the clock everytime I started the bike. I sold it to a chap on this forum who wanted it for his dad if I recall.

They are a bit of a handful when filtering on motorways when fully loaded as the front end can feel very vague and indistinct.

I’d heard about the electric drain issue , I’m either going to remove the radio completely or put in an isolation switch in the radio power feed . I’ve already removed and old Spyball alarm that was causing a parasitic drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This shaft looks a bit better ...

jfcbqc.jpg

Just need to get the seals fitted and the pump back on the bike now

nch3io.jpg

Also check below where the clutch is there is a small "drain" hole It gets clogged with dust and I actually had one in that was running a wet clutch for a very long time Only slipping at 70 mph roll ons when hot It had over 2 litres of oil in there :eek basically the Crank seals are schite if left laid up for long periods if you do go to repalce one? Just replace with ordinary double lip rubber seals or viton if you are feeling flush (Will still be cheaper than those POS diaphragm seals of BMW)This may be of some interest to you https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/332647-Even-the-old-hands-can-fluff-it

Also check below where the clutch is there is a small "drain" hole It gets clogged with dust and I actually had one in that was running a wet clutch for a very long time Only slipping at 70 mph roll ons when hot It had over 2 litres of oil in there :eek basically the Crank seals are schite if left laid up for long periods if you do go to repalce one? Just replace with ordinary double lip rubber seals or viton if you are feeling flush (Will still be cheaper than those POS diaphragm seals of BMW)This may be of some interest to you https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/332647-Even-the-old-hands-can-fluff-it

My K1100LT had that drain hole in the lower casing but this K1200LT does not have one . There are lots of articles on the LT forum about drilling the drain hole in the K1200LT lower casing , not sure to do it or just leave it as I intend to change the main crank seal anyway later in the year . I have no clutch slippage at all at the moment but there is a slight smell of burning oil after a long trip . Strangely it smells like gearbox oil to me which if that was the case and it was the gearbox input shaft seal I would have expected clutch slippage . We will find out when I eventually get it stripped down . Interested in knowing more on the use of the viton seals instead of the BMW ones - do you just buy the correct size viton double lip seal or is there a specific type to use ?

BMW parts fische shows the rear main seal as :

Shaft seal 11 11 7 666 186 50X80X10

Can I just use one of these ?

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p...Oil-Seal-with-Garter-Spring/product_info.html

Its only £13.22 delivered . The BMW one is £27.30

Yes a conventional seal with an outer wiper ring works well, the wiper ring keeps out the dirt and dust Plus you don;t have the worry of "forming" the diaphragm seal and then praying it worked The K1200RS that I found the leaky crank seal on, did have that small hole but it was blocked with clutch dust

Oil/Water pump fitted a while back and all good with no leaks

Drilled a small 3mm weep hole in the bottom of the bell housing and as expected I am getting oil dripping out so either the rear main seal or o-ring or the gearbox seal has gone

Going to replace all of the seals and as a minimum a new clutch plate

Whilst the engine is out going to replace the timing chain guide rails as per the BMW service instructions

Also putting in new alternator rubbers

Once all back together I'll have a set of new tyres fitted

It'll then bang out another 60k miles with just routine stuff. A great buy

Yes - its a really nice bike which I'm sure I'll get many more thousands of miles out of

I've also swapped the rear shock spring out for a HyperPro Progressive Spring

other things to do and look at.

clutch weep hole drilling. on you tube.
shock absorber pre load adjuster top up. on you tube.
front steering damper rebuild. use high pressure seals.
throttle cable upgrade.
airbox temperature sensor switch mod.
speedo speed correction mod.
low beam hid upgrade.
foot flaps to keep feet warm and dry.
bash plate on early models.

and of course clutch and gearbox and crank shaft seal replacements. probably the biggest job on any motorcycle ? oh do not forget the o ring on the engine output shaft.

great bikes with all the joys of bmw ownership.

a few more added !

Screen de lamination.
lcd radio screen de lamination.
cruise control switch issues.
cow belling.
heated grip failures.
mirrors dropping off.
Ariel earthing prob.
gear change olive failures and upgrade
engine output shaft o ring.

at least you will not have abs servo failure !

I have had one many years !

foot flap

big difference in cold and rain

Attachments

• foot flap.jpg
    foot flap.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 456
I looked at one of these when looking for another bike,

Height wise not to bad, looked like i could get my feet / foot on the deck :)

But it was the weight that put me off,

I thought a GS was heavy at 200 odd KG but at 387kg it was like having another GS on its back

lovely looking bike though

Screen de lamination.
lcd radio screen de lamination.
cruise control switch issues.
cow belling.
heated grip failures.
mirrors dropping off.
Ariel earthing prob.
gear change olive failures and upgrade
engine output shaft o ring.

at least you will not have abs servo failure !

I have had one many years !

Not got any of the issues you've listed although I have done the output shaft o ring and I've removed the sponge discs from the gear change mechanism and upgraded it to the rubber cup type

Mirrors are a tight fit and I've fitted tethers just in case

I looked at one of these when looking for another bike,

Height wise not to bad, looked like i could get my feet / foot on the deck :)

But it was the weight that put me off,

I thought a GS was heavy at 200 odd KG but at 387kg it was like having another GS on its back

lovely looking bike though

I found I got used to it quickly and other than parking (where i do have to use the reverse gear) it don't really notice the weight that much

Back
Top Bottom