Just bought a cheap 690 enduro

I’m most of the way through servicing the bike,
Valve gear and clearances are perfect,
Few small bodges by the PO but nothing much to worry about.
The rear mudguard,and lamps had been bodged ,so I’ve ordered new ones to put it back to standard.
I’ll post some pics when it’s back together,before it gets dirty at the weekend:D

Some folks knock em' but it's just that they don't really understand them :rolleyes: Bloody brilliant machines :D

What camchain tensioner are you running ?

One of the first jobs I did with mine after fitting new cam followers was a reliable fuel pump and external filter.

Any chance that you might remember the inside diameter for the submersible hose for the tank to eliminate the internal filter ? Long shot I know!
I've just ordered the parts to fit an external Golan but need to order some submersible hose now as well to finish it 😎

Any chance that you might remember the inside diameter for the submersible hose for the tank to eliminate the internal filter ? Long shot I know!
I've just ordered the parts to fit an external Golan but need to order some submersible hose now as well to finish it ��

Did lots of tracking down but eventually decided on this filter, mounted where your QR is.
http://www.thejetworks.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=in+line+filter&x=7&y=7

The submersible hose was 8mm ...5/16"

Did lots of tracking down but eventually decided on this filter, mounted where your QR is.
http://www.thejetworks.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=in+line+filter&x=7&y=7

The submersible hose was 8mm ...5/16"

Good find that. I'm going for the Golan because you can unscrew them, wash out and put them back together & there's also a spare inner mesh available if anyone can't be arsed doing that..seems expensive at £50 but they are serviceable and last a long time .

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk...rmance-upgrades/golan-products-70-312g-filter

I'm going to chuck out the little inline filter in the QR and also the in tank filter so it kind of pays for itself over time, I already have spare QR fittings/hose to set the filter inline and now also realise that I have the correct submersible hose as well.
I thought that it might have been a bit broader diameter as apparently you have to cut the existing pipe before the ferrule and leave the end ends on ( impossible to remove without damaging everything due to heat shrink fit ), the hose has to fit over this as well so a warm hand and a bit of saliva should do the trick :rolleyes:

I have some 5/16" hose left after replacing all the tank innards on my 1150gsa :thumb2

Trying to find my photos but haven't given 690s a second thought since selling mine.

Fitted a CycleWorks pump and made sure my spare was a plug and play if I remember rightly.

Trying to find my photos but haven't given 690s a second thought since selling mine.

Fitted a CycleWorks pump and made sure my spare was a plug and play if I remember rightly.

Have ordered one of these

http://www.profill-australia.com/online-shop#!/KTM0002-MK5/p/103065400/category=28341010

and have a cheap and cheerful replacement pump to carry as spare ( will double check fit when I take everything apart ) as the original pump on my 14' 690 has only done 5k miles so in theory it should still be good.....

Why did you sell - looked like it was comprehensively prepared ?

Timolgra
Looks like your bike had a lot of work done to make it useable in remote places etc.
I have been wondering about getting a 690 or the Yamaha XTZ660.
Just wondering what the main reasons you sold your 690 and what you replaced it with ?
Cheers, Jules.

Timolgra
Looks like your bike had a lot of work done to make it useable in remote places etc.
Just wondering what the main reasons you sold your 690 and what you replaced it with ?
Cheers, Jules.

He replaced it with something more suited to his needs of off road long distance........remote travel

A KTM 640R Adventure:D

Timolgra
Cheers, Jules.

I already have a proven 640 neither bike actually needs a lot of work to take to remote places, but I have confidence in a 640 over a 690 to get me back again plus a host of other reasons that for me make thev640 the right choice.
Others will of course come to a different conclusion .... but they would need to have 10 years and multiple trips to have got my attention.

I already have a proven 640 neither bike actually needs a lot of work to take to remote places, but I have confidence in a 640 over a 690 to get me back again plus a host of other reasons that for me make thev640 the right choice.
Others will of course come to a different conclusion .... but they would need to have 10 years and multiple trips to have got my attention.

Oh well, another 5 years and the Southern Hemisphere to do before my 690 gets your attention :)

Oh well, another 5 years and the Southern Hemisphere to do before my 690 gets your attention :)

Have you had a look at Lyndon Poskitt's travels on his 690/732 ?
He has made many changes to the base bike but he does race it as well as travel around the world on the bike.

Have you had a look at Lyndon Poskitt's travels on his 690/732 ?
He has made many changes to the base bike but he does race it as well as travel around the world on the bike.

Yes I've had a good look at his stuff, especially as my 690 is the first bike he built before Basil and also has a 732 engine. I've not done the same mileage Lyndon has done but I've done 4 European trips, the USA and ridden it to Mongolia so it's had a fair bit of use.

Yes I've had a good look at his stuff, especially as my 690 is the first bike he built before Basil and also has a 732 engine. I've not done the same mileage Lyndon has done but I've done 4 European trips, the USA and ridden it to Mongolia so it's had a fair bit of use.

Nice :thumb

Back
Top Bottom