G450X value

heinrich

Reaction score
As mentioned yesterday I am looking for one of these, but finding it difficult to gauge what a good market related price is.

I saw 2 x 2008 450Xs this week. Both excellent condition, new tyres, new panels, one has 900 miles and the other 1200 (!) Who owns a bike for so long and never rides it! :nenau The latter has an Akro pipe as the only thing that "stands out" as it were from the other one.

Anyway, the "older" 1200 mile one sold for £3k. The 900 miler, the owner wants at least £3.7k for it. It is advertised at just under £4k.

Now the fact is, IMHO these bikes are 10 years old, and a bike engine with less than 1k miles on is not necessarily a very good engine. Not sure how long until the cylinder wall start going south in the UK's moist climate? that equates to less than 90 miles a year. Anyway...

Am I unrealistic in thinking that anything too far over £3k for that bike is too much, or did the one that sold for £3k skew my view of what is a fair price for these kind of bikes. i.e. £3k was actually a huge bargain, and £3.7 - £4k is market related?

Thanks

For around £5k you might be able to a CCM 450, that uses the same engine and has much better suspension and Frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be honest my budget doesn't allow for that. It'll be my second bike (have a F700GS for longer rides/commute/wife as pillion etc.) and looking for a weekend enduro type bike that is not in the same class as the F700/F800 bikes. i.e. a lot lighter and easier to handle off road.

Did the Taffy Dakar on the F700 this year and it IMHO coped quite well for someone with my lack of skill, but man it was hard work for me. I'm looking to do more of that kind of riding (green lane etc) so for me, something like a G450X/Husky TE449 is ideal. It can do some tar, but it's more off-road oriented than the GS.

I can't justify going much over £3k to £3.5k Hence the question if it's me or the seller being realistic with price expectations?

I saw a TE449 2011 on FB for £2.5k but too late for that one, and the same model and year on autotrader is £3.2k. That's a substantial difference in price, but being a dealer, I guess they need to make a profit too, so that is fine by me. I'm just trying to gauge if I should set my expectations lower or look for a small cc bike or go for older model?

I had one and the expirience wasn't great, swapped in and bought a small honda CRF which has been really good....

I had one and the expirience wasn't great, swapped in and bought a small honda CRF which has been really good....

You mean you had a 450X? I've done some reading up on it as I must admit I don't know the model that well. I know the usual in that it was made in limited numbers and the changes to the "normal" design etc. But I read some that knock it and some that love it. I guess it depends on what you use it for? For my mission as described above I think it should do fine. I'm not gong to throw it down a cliff with me on top and to be honest for my skills it's probably more than enough. Assuming you went the CRF250L route then? They seem to get good reviews but I would prefer something with a little more oomph. Need to test ride one before I can comment on it TBH.

its quite a racy little engine, not much flywheel, prefers lots of throttle and easy to stall, if that doesn't appeal, then the Honda engines are much softer

450X I had was great, plenty of go... only snag came once hot, if you came off, stopped or stalled it it would NOT restart. leave it to cool down and all was fine again, it was in and out of the dealers like a fiddlers elbow. In the end they helped me by taking it back no harm done....

the next owner who I bumped into a while back had much the same issues, till pikies stole it and set fire to it.... I guess from being frustrated cos it didn't want to run.... when needed...

:)

Look for one of the RFS engined KTMs either 450 or 400.
Well within your budget!

Exactly :beerjug:

20181025_105130-01-XL.jpg

G450x's seem to be holding their value well now; not really sure why but they have some nice components on them so maybe that is influencing.

The motor and bike evolved into the te449. The 2011 model had a white frame, the 12 onwards a black one. These had some mapping, frame and style mods.

Some potential issues with the 449, incl oil blowing into the airbox and occasional poor starting if you don't catch it right.

Airbox mod is easy and common.

I've had a couple and still have one as my now main trail bike. Mate has one with 6700 miles; no mechanical issues but he overly services it re oil changes. Mine has a total of 662 miles on it on a 62 plate). Doing oil change on it tomorrow but runs v smooth and i have no concerns.

You'll find them for circa 2500 ish if you wait.

I looked into the 450 - in CCM guise, but the more I looked the more I was put off by the highly stressed engine, even though it was detuned. oil changes every 1500 miles or something daft - and I was a bit dubious of the Chinese engine. Probably cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I just don't have the confidence in Chinese engineering, however good it is - i fear for spares availability long term.

I looked into the 450 - in CCM guise, but the more I looked the more I was put off by the highly stressed engine, even though it was detuned. oil changes every 1500 miles or something daft - and I was a bit dubious of the Chinese engine. Probably cutting off my nose to spite my face, but I just don't have the confidence in Chinese engineering, however good it is - i fear for spares availability long term.

Motor isn't Chinese

Built in Taiwan by KYMCO for BMW

It's a race bike so oil changes will be frequent

That’s nonsense, CCM advised oil changes at 5000, miles. My CCM 450 covered about 5000 miles in the year that I owned it. It wasn’t the bike for me, but it was absolutely reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFAIK the oil capacity on (most of) these 450 class bikes is about avg. 1.7L? So regular oil changes are to be expected. Racing bike or not.

About my initial post; can anyone comment on which of the above bikes I mentioned's value is on par?

Back
Top Bottom