Help please-May trip to France

Thanks again folks, went to the local Eason’s to get a Michelin map and the only country they hadn’t got was France:nenau ordered via flea bay

Going to check out ride routes and also like Richards proposal too !

Fined? Beaten with a stick, more like.

Back on track.

If you like the suggestion in post #16, you can expand on it from the RiDE magazine special on France, SW area.

Easier still, mix and match this in:

739cee4faa6c3c7a9b891ddaa945f9e5.jpg

Which is why I chose Limoges. It matches the distances you want to do and gives you something when you get there. Looking at the drawing, you could shorten the rides by cutting across the link roads. You have a full day, either way.

Me? I might well sacrifice some non-motorway miles on day one or day five, to get further south than Saumur and maximise my time around the roads on the map. Use your imagination. Can you pick up the map at Crozant at 12 o’clock on the map? Does Pontarion work or Eymoutiers?

I know there’s a million and one posts on France but that’s the problem I’m lost looking through all the info :blast

I’ve finally bagged 8 days in May and taking the ferry to Cherbourg from Ireland. I essentially loose 3 days on the ferry altogether and planned to hit the west coast first before heading inland and coming back through central France. I’m hoping you guys could drill down a little further and name some towns for me to visit, camping the whole way I should add, first time outside of Ireland, England, Scotland or Wales.

Thanks folks :aidan

I don't see that you should loose 3 days :confused:.

If you get the evening boat out you will arrive the next day in France so start riding day 2. You will have to ride to the boat be it in Dublin, Rosslare or Ringaskiddy so make your holiday start as soon as you drive away from your front door then you miss no days and it it all an adventure / trip to remember. Enjoy ALL the new experiences no matter how small.

I would suggest that you head down to the Loire Valley and try and spend a few days looking around the region along and south of the valley. For a first go on the Continent I have advised people to go via Britanny Ferries Cork. They leave at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon and arrive at 7am in France on a Sunday morning. As you come through the passport check over to the right there is a small carpark where you can pull over and let everyone in a rush to go on. You get the opportunity to safely put away your passport, buckle your helmet, put on your gloves etc. Now for your first outing on the wrong side of the road you are on very quiet roads and you can relax and enjoy.

Home could be on the Tuesday from Roscoff to Cork.

What you must do however is to enjoy the trip.:thumb

Might be easiest if you told bods when (date, date, time) the ferry arrives in Cherbourg - or whichever port - and when (day, date, time) the return ferry departs - and from which port.

That way they’ll know exactly what period of time you have available to hit things in France.

PS I only ask about the ports (you’d selected Cherbourg) as the advice in post #14 from a Dubliner was:

Cherburg ok if Normandy sites are interesting for you, but Roscoff better for a good start into Brittany..

Given that Normandy does not seem to be your primary aim, might Roscoff make a better jumping off point? In short, it’s the classic, “If that’s your ultimate destination, I wouldn’t be starting from here”.

That being said, Roscoff to say Saumur (to end your first day) is a pretty similar distance as Cherbourg to Saumur, so it might not make a huge difference in the great scheme of things.

Departing Saturday 11th May from Rosslare at 16.30 arriving in Cherbourg Sunday at 10.30

Returning Friday 17th at 20.30 arriving in Rosslare Saturday at 12.30

I’ve maybe a 2 hour spin back to Dublin then. Normandy could definitely be worth a stop off

If you end up Limoges way we offer camping and can advise on some great roads round us. Send me a message if interested.

Departing Saturday 11th May from Rosslare at 16.30 arriving in Cherbourg Sunday at 10.30

Returning Friday 17th at 20.30 arriving in Rosslare Saturday at 12.30

I’ve maybe a 2 hour spin back to Dublin then. Normandy could definitely be worth a stop off

I make that six fullish days in France.

Now you’ve done it. Mentioning Normandy, you’ll have bods telling you to visit every invasion beach and D Day museum between Cherbourg and Le Havre (roughly 200 km, direct). If you do, it’ll get you no nearer Poitiers than when you started.

RiDE magazine has an excellent seven day (easy to squeeze it into six) pre-made jaunt, if you want to stay closer to your original plan. It will though swerve hitting the coast. Just copying it will take a lot of your planning (which you tell us you don’t do :augie :D) out of it.

https://www.ride.co.uk/routes-1/ride-guide-to-france-2017

Scroll down to Tour 11.

:beerjug:

Are you a seasoned camper?

In general in May the weather in the west of France can be wet (avoid the white lines in the wet). Although, again generally, it can be drier in the east you do start to get onto higher ground so it can be very cold at night time - even in Burgundy in May I have experienced freezing night time temperatures.

If you’re definitely camping one option could be to base yourself on a nice campsite, east-ish but low-ish say Beaujolais. From here you could do day trips to the Morvan, Ardech, Central Massif, Jura Mountains - even into the Alps.

Whatever you decide, have a nice holiday
:beerjug:

Reasonably seasoned camper, Good to know the difference may vary that much from west to east

Wapping your some man. Thanks for the input although I expect some light hearted abuse for some time:blast:comfort

Re. post #32. You have six days, port to port. Cherbourg to ‘Beaujolais’ (which is near enough equidistant between Macon and Lyon) is a long’ish schlep. ‘Beaujolais’ to Avallon, at the north of the Morvan, is over 200 kms direct. From ‘Beaujolais’ to Chateau Chinon, slap bang in the middle of the Morvan is 170 km direct. The latter is a 340 km round trip. If it works for you, great. Though I’m not sure it matches in with your planned daily riding.

Beaujolais is indeed a nice region, where you can jump off from in different directions. Maybe more suited to crossings via Calais (rather than Cherbourg) perhaps? Me, I’d save it for another day.

The weather in May? You’ll see for yourself, I guess. For sure, nobody can predict it in November.

Look forward to seeing your final plans.

Looks like I may have company now:beerjug:

The below route seems relaxed which allows an extra night or so in the same area if we found somewhere outstanding. We be starting and finishing in Cherbourg. This ultimately moves us away from the west coast :nenau

Tour 4: the Loire and Limousin

Day 1 Caen to Amboise 200 miles

Day 2 Amboise to Mansle 195 miles

Day 3 Mansle to St Etienne de Fursac 185 miles

Day 4 St Etienne de Fursac to Sandillon 175 miles

Day 5 Sandillon to Caen 215 miles

Ha.. that's one way of picking a location.. paws for thoughts... I'll get my coat

Looks like I may have company now:beerjug:

The below route seems relaxed which allows an extra night or so in the same area if we found somewhere outstanding. We be starting and finishing in Cherbourg. This ultimately moves us away from the west coast :nenau

Tour 4: the Loire and Limousin

Day 1 Caen to Amboise 200 miles

Day 2 Amboise to Mansle 195 miles

Day 3 Mansle to St Etienne de Fursac 185 miles

Day 4 St Etienne de Fursac to Sandillon 175 miles

Day 5 Sandillon to Caen 215 miles

Looks like your pets have it cracked. Enjoy your holiday when it comes and be sure to let us know how it goes.

From a riding perspective, head towards Limoges. Then plot routes through various national parks, toward Clermont Ferrand, down to Tarn Gorge, over to verdon etc.

Brittany is nice, roads not a hoot. On west side Royan/La Rochelle for a nice day at the seaside.
Outside the main holiday period, Dordogne toward Correze for fantastic riverside and medieval cliff side/top villages, bastides. Rocamadour, Sarlat, Domme. All get busy in season but there are loads of lesser known but equally impressive villages. Then Tarn Gorge, Montain Noir region. All good. North West doesnt compare well IMO.

Get on to the D roads for best fun.

I hope you don’t mind me saying but your route is through some flat territory.

If I may make a suggestion:
Caen to Amboise - take the Domfront, Mayenne Road then cut across to Le Mans.
From there head for this place http://www.campingmotoroute99.com/
It’s a gateway to the Central Massive - stay a couple of days and take trips, definitely worth heading up Puy Sauncy :thumby:
From there potter through the morvan National Park and back to Cean whichever way you fancy.
Some amazing scenery/bike roads and you’ll meet like minded souls at route 99.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Back
Top Bottom