K75 wheels - how are they finished?

Bobbin-Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old fella's '95 K75 combination needs a front wheel, I'm led to believe the bearing pockets are getting tired probably due to the abnormal forces with the sidecar fitted.

He's sourced the correct wheel from Motorworks but as would be expected it's in very typical condition for a 20+ year old wheel and looks pretty grubby and dull ... his existing wheels are in fab condition because it's always garaged, only goes out in the sunshine, he's 80 and rides everywhere at 40mph, it's regularly washed etc, etc!

So what would be the best way to spruce up the new wheel? As far as I can tell they're not powder coated, but are they bare alloy or maybe anodised? He'll fit a new tyre and bearings so there's plenty of time to get it sorted, but I'd prefer to do it properly.

My old fella's '95 K75 combination needs a front wheel, I'm led to believe the bearing pockets are getting tired probably due to the abnormal forces with the sidecar fitted.

He's sourced the correct wheel from Motorworks but as would be expected it's in very typical condition for a 20+ year old wheel and looks pretty grubby and dull ... his existing wheels are in fab condition because it's always garaged, only goes out in the sunshine, he's 80 and rides everywhere at 40mph, it's regularly washed etc, etc!

So what would be the best way to spruce up the new wheel? As far as I can tell they're not powder coated, but are they bare alloy or maybe anodised? He'll fit a new tyre and bearings so there's plenty of time to get it sorted, but I'd prefer to do it properly.
Aquablasting then powder coated, but it'll show up other wheels and be a slightly different shade/colour.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Does it still have the rotors attached - they need to come off to achieve a decent job - use a hot air gun or blowtorch to soften the threadlock.

Unless you need a showroom finish, you can achieve decent results at home by flatting with 400 grit wet/dry with a solution of washing up liquid, then 800 and maybe 1200 depending on how good a finish you want.

I have used this Wurth silver finish on many alloy wheel projects, it's a perfect match to BMW and AMG alloy wheels, and the cans have a good quality nozzle which sprays easily at low or high volume.

1898582.jpg

Available online, or from the many Wurth trade counters around the UK - the website lists both E'boro and Glasgow.

https://eshop.wurth.co.uk/Paint-spr...?VisibleSearchTerm=0893351&CampaignName=SR001

It's around £8 inc VAT per can for a case of 6.

Use a decent primer, then two coats of the Wurth and you should be looking good.

Back
Top Bottom