19/17 Rally Raid Wheels Fitted

DING-DONG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today was the day I fitted my new 19/17 wheels from Rally Raid, order time scale was 5 weeks as it's a lengthy process, once the rims are powder coated they are sent to italy to have the BARTubeless process, this comes with a 4 year warranty. They arrived well boxed and cw new front ABS ring and if your bike is a DCT they provide a 40t JTR rear sprocket in steel to enable the auto to change like Honda designed, I wasn't keen on the steel sprocket, heavy and cheap looking so purchased a Renthal hard anodised 40t this was listed for a different Honda, by doing some research I was able to find the correct sprocket to fit the AT.

Tyres- I've opted for road attack 3 - 110/80/19 & 150/70/17 these were from wheelhouse this morn @ £262 fitted to loose wheels and whilst I was swopping the discs around I replaced the bolts for titanium, purchased via e bay.

No issues with fit or clearance whatsoever, due to 40t Sprox I need to replace the chain or remove a link. Seat height feels marginally lower but not a great difference.

Pictures
e3b9a0c73c979f57cd5dbc8310de2b84.jpg

It's takes a bit more effort to get it onto the centre stand now.
18d9e21c1d22af787e015821776d8c2b.jpg

9fc313faa1552d0a01d101cfe6e256a5.jpg

f9b42dbf6a2496553c70e098bce18f1f.jpg

2ddb08da431391a0f0e264acf7814e7d.jpg

93cc59ad213703d0052520dfc1bb038d.jpg

JT supplied steel sprocket.
1968dac9b46fe33390bcd627e17389d3.jpg

Replacement Renthal sprocket
c1283e38efd8382030687d05006a12f8.jpg

Look forward to hearing how it compares on the road versus the 21/18's. Must admit, I find the bike quite an effort to get onto the centre stand as it is (I have lower back problems), so I don't know if I am too keen on doing this conversion with the added difficulty of getting onto the stand.

gorgeous looking bike Dave

I saw an AT a couple of months ago in Newcastle with a similar or the same conversion , except the rims on his a dark grey/black bike were black and the bike had a carbon fibre front mudguard fitted designed for the 19" rim ........................ looked excellent

Look forward to hearing how it compares on the road versus the 21/18's. Must admit, I find the bike quite an effort to get onto the centre stand as it is (I have lower back problems), so I don't know if I am too keen on doing this conversion with the added difficulty of getting onto the stand.

Back issues me too and being 12 stone ain't helping to load the stand, I only use the centre stand to lube the chain so I can live with it.

Bike looks really nice.
How about bike's geometry? Clearly different size wheels have changed it.
What your insurer said about this mod?

I like that alot, to me it looks a better bike and would suit my needs for the type of riding I do, must get some ordered.

Sorry but I have to ask, what was the cost of the RR wheels?

Nice looking bike. Clearly a keeper with what looks like you've spent on this (wheeels, TT seat, headers & can) :thumb

Those wheels look brilliant !
For someone on a budget though, it wouldn't be the real deal but would the 17 - 19 wheels from another Honda fit ?

Rally Raid wheels

How are the wheels working out any leaks and how does the AT handle compared to OE setup? Any complaints, and how hard to put on center stand. Thinking of doing the same as you on my 2017 AT. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

How are the wheels working out any leaks and how does the AT handle compared to OE setup? Any complaints, and how hard to put on center stand. Thinking of doing the same as you on my 2017 AT. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Since fitting the wheels I've checked the tyre pressures a couple of times out of curiosity and no loss at all, Bartubeless comes with a 4 year warranty on each wheel so there should be nothing to worry about, centre stand issue just means you have to load it with a bit extra force but its no deal breaker, so don't let it worry you.

How does it handle !! i cannot really say tbh because apart from running it up and down the close to make sure nothing rubs and everything works I've not really taken it out with the new wheels fitted, since 2017 the bike only has 300 miles on the clock due to me being unwell with a back issue, now I'm on the mend i intend to use it and cannot wait to get out on it, I've got several trips booked in the next couple of months so i intend to make up for the lack of use.

Since fitting the wheels I've checked the tyre pressures a couple of times out of curiosity and no loss at all, Bartubeless comes with a 4 year warranty on each wheel so there should be nothing to worry about, centre stand issue just means you have to load it with a bit extra force but its no deal breaker, so don't let it worry you.

How does it handle !! i cannot really say tbh because apart from running it up and down the close to make sure nothing rubs and everything works I've not really taken it out with the new wheels fitted, since 2017 the bike only has 300 miles on the clock due to me being unwell with a back issue, now I'm on the mend i intend to use it and cannot wait to get out on it, I've got several trips booked in the next couple of months so i intend to make up for the lack of use.

Did you need to change the chain in the end? I've just fitted my Rally Raid 19/17 wheels and I am wondering if I need to do the same as the adjuster block is on the red portion of the scale.

Did you need to change the chain in the end? I've just fitted my Rally Raid 19/17 wheels and I am wondering if I need to do the same as the adjuster block is on the red portion of the scale.

yeah i too found the adjuster block to far back in the red and recon you will run out of adjustment after adjusting the chain the once, i bought a 122 link DiD VMX jobby. I don't think its an issue if your bike is a manual because you can run a bigger rear, the dct needs a 40t.

I also found the front tyre touches the inner front mudguard very slightly but that could be down to the tyres I'm running, i just trimmed the inner on the front instead of letting the tyre rub away, you cannot tell.

yeah i too found the adjuster block to far back in the red and recon you will run out of adjustment after adjusting the chain the once, i bought a 122 link DiD VMX jobby. I don't think its an issue if your bike is a manual because you can run a bigger rear, the dct needs a 40t.

I also found the front tyre touches the inner front mudguard very slightly but that could be down to the tyres I'm running, i just trimmed the inner on the front instead of letting the tyre rub away, you cannot tell.

My bike is a DCT so got the 40T sprocket.

Back
Top Bottom