Update on Super Ten ownership.

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, I’ve clocked up 3000 miles since I picked my Super Ten up on 1st. August including nearly 2000 miles on a trip across Holland to Germany and Poland.

Some observations are probably called for, so let me begin with first impressions and I’ll use my old Versys 1000 Gen 1 bike for comparison.

The switchgear on the Yamaha look and feel far better quality than those on my Versys. The digital clocks and onboard trip computer are nice and easy to read, although I do prefer the traditional rev counter on the Versys rather than the trend for a digital bar type. The cruise control is something I never would have thought that I would need or use, but when traffic conditions allow on motorways, it proved very welcome especially as I have a disability with my right hand.

Comfort wise, the Yamaha has more legroom which has been a boon as I am 6’2” and even with the seat on the lowest of two settings, Amy knees are not so acutely bent. The Yamaha has better suspension than my Gen 1 Versys had, it is more plush and better controlled. I have no experience of the Gen 2 Versys to make a comparison with.

On handling and steering, as I said, the Yamaha has better suspension in my opinion and initially, I found myself turning tighter than the Versys. I felt the Versys tended to run slightly wide by comparison.

On my recent European trip, my Versys tended to give 50-52mpg over a similar run where the Yamaha recorded 54mpg on this occasion. Which brings us to the motors. The Yamaha has 2 settings, T and S, which stand for Touring and Sport. There is a noticeable difference between the two, S giving a very brisk throttle response whereas T is lovely for just ambling along or 2-up work as it gives a nice, smooth, leisurely feel to the throttle. Both modes are said to give the same ultimate power. You all know the modes on the Versys and although I tried both, I used the full-power option all of the time. The Yamaha is a 270 degree parallel twin which gives it a similar feel to a 90 degree V twin so it has a bit of character and you always know that you are riding a twin. The Versys of course is an in-line 4 and, in my humble opinion, has The Very Best Motor ever built into a motorcycle bar none.

This little review makes it look as if the Yamaha is superior to the Versys, but I don’t see it that way. As a motorcycle for my purposes, there really is very little between them and if my motorcycling experience with the Yamaha turns sour, then I shall be beating a path to buy another Versys.

One final observation: although I used the Versys 1000 as a kind of benchmark to compare the Super Ten with, the bike the Yamaha most reminds me of is my old R1150GS, the bike I said I would never sell until all the powder coating started to fall off! The Super Ten feels a lot like my memory of the my old GS and that’s no bad thing.

You don't mention the shaft drive. I thought about a Versys but the engine configuration of the S10 appealed as I really liked my TDM with the same funny crank arrangement. Add this with a shaft drive and I just had to have the S10. It was a great bike that only got sold as I needed a much lighter bike due to poor health.

You don't mention the shaft drive. I thought about a Versys but the engine configuration of the S10 appealed as I really liked my TDM with the same funny crank arrangement. Add this with a shaft drive and I just had to have the S10. It was a great bike that only got sold as I needed a much lighter bike due to poor health.

Of course, the shaft drive is such a bonus and on the Super Ten is so unobtrusive that you just forget about it, it’s that good. It is a much simpler and probably more reliable system than BMW use.

I always wanted a TDM but never got around to buying one. I did get a few rides on my mates 900 and really enjoyed the bike. The 270 degree crank makes it feel like a 90 degree V twin and has a nice power delivery that is much more relaxing than the sometimes frantic buzz of a multi.

Thanks for the update, longdog :beerjug:.
I have also become a recent Super Tenere owner, it seems to be a much loved bike by most of its owners.
Always underrated by the press and the mainstream though as was the TDM in its day.
Didn't stop me though, I had 3 of them over a few years, crackin bikes.
And all before "Adventure Bikes" were fashionable.

I've had to SORN my S10. I banjoed my foot and haven't been able to get a bike boot on so the MOT lapsed. Over 25,000 miles now, no significant issues.

Interesting reading!
I recently bought a New S10 , I did lots and lots of research on this bike! Reasons not to buy was my main focus. I've owned 7 new GS bikes, one 1150 GS and 6 1200GS's. I had 3 adventure 1200's in the 7. So, big, big decision to move away from BMW! I did over 120,000 miles collectively on GS's. Didn't have any problems with them! I think the S10 is very, very underrated, excellent bike. I found myself comparing for the first few hundred miles. What an insulting thought to have! This bike sits on its own in a brilliant way! Don't get me wrong, the GS is one fantastic bike but this is impressive! Lovely to ride, very capable of giving you lots of smiles. I only wish I had made this decision a few years ago.

Interesting reading!
Didn't have any problems with them! I think the S10 is very, very underrated, excellent bike. I found myself comparing for the first few hundred miles. What an insulting thought to have! This bike sits on its own in a brilliant way! Don't get me wrong, the GS is one fantastic bike but this is impressive! Lovely to ride, very capable of giving you lots of smiles. I only wish I had made this decision a few years ago.

Well said! That matches my own conclusions exactly.

They get even better as the mileage increases. Just had the 18000 mile service and the bike is so smooth. Service cost 180 quid for reference.

I think an S10 will be my next bike.......a well looked after/spec'd 2015 or 2016.
A few nice ones on MCN at the moment.

Sent from a U11

Went out on a S10 today. I quite like it, but find the knee angle is not very comfortable for me. Maybe lower pegs would fix it, so I'm going to look into that option.

How do you find the weight of the bike in start stop traffic?

As another new-to-S10 owner, I can only echo the above sentiments, superb bike. (2017 Gen2, ex-demo).
Comparing it to my '07 GS, its definitely quicker, handles as well, similar on fuel consumption, hasn't used any oil in 3000 miles and just as comfortable on long rides.
Haven't had to service it/pay for a service yet, so can't compare maintenance costs or ease of working on it. Tyre wear seems no different to the GS.
I've fitted R&G heated grips, which work great (used them on other bikes in the past). Fitting and wiring was easy using the 3-pin accessory socket to activate a relay, allowing me to add other electrical bits as I go along - satnav next.

And I've found the above mentioned owners forum very useful. For technical help its as good as this one:thumb2

So no regrets so far at returning to The Land of the Rising Sun, just need to work out what to do with an 11 year old 74k miles 1200GS. Sell it? Supermoto project? Bodykit to turn it into an R100gs lookalike? Decisions, decisions:nenau

I have never had any issues with the weight of the bike. Having had 3 GS Adventures in the past, this seems a breeze.

I reckon that the CoG on the S10 is significantly lower than the GS let alone the GSA. Wheeling the bike in or out of the garage is a lot easier.

The boxer engine with the heavy crank and flywheel up at cylinder height has a disadvantage.

I'm looking at a 2015 ZE model with 65,000kms on the clock.......is there anything that should concern me.....it has a fully stamped Yamaha service history?

Can the electronic shocks be upgraded aftermarket....keeping the functionality?

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom