Recalls/Problems with new R1250GS/A

No worries mate. We've all done exactly the same because our time is finite and has lots of demands. It just irks me that they know 90% of people have to give up.

Thanks. Normally I'm a tenacious sod but this time I had to let it go.

I wanted a GS for ages and I Was delighted when I finally got one, no other bike is such a complete package but the corrosion and lack of dealer support has spoilt it for me.

The bike rides perfectly and fits me like a glove but until they improve the quality I'm not buying another, but one lost sale every three years isn't going to make any difference to the dealer or manufacturer.

The guys who buy a new GS and have no issues I'm genuinely happy for them.

I agree. I'd be reluctant to get another. I had corrosion and electrical problems on the first in 2016 and the same electrical problems on my 2017 one. All sorted out under warranty with no quibbles whatsoever. I've just done the pre-winter prep, clean and ACF50 (I ride through the winter on those crisp, sunny days) and found minor corrosion under my final drive. I look after my bikes and get the piss taken out of me by my biker buddies because of it, so it's not neglect.

There's only one problem: like yourself, I love the bike!! I suppose it's the price we pay for being very happy despite the issues.

I agree. I'd be reluctant to get another. I had corrosion and electrical problems on the first in 2016 and the same electrical problems on my 2017 one. All sorted out under warranty with no quibbles whatsoever. I've just done the pre-winter prep, clean and ACF50 (I ride through the winter on those crisp, sunny days) and found minor corrosion under my final drive. I look after my bikes and get the piss taken out of me by my biker buddies because of it, so it's not neglect.

There's only one problem: like yourself, I love the bike!! I suppose it's the price we pay for being very happy despite the issues.

It would be easier if I hated the bike, I would get something else instead.

Can't see anything else I want so I will keep this bike and live with the corrosion until it becomes unreliable.

With the mileage I'm doing lately it might outlive me.

Up date due to constant problems with the new GSA1250 Rallye which was a replacement by BMW for the one that kept going wrong before. This bike is now going back aswell. BMW have been good but embarrassed and have offered me a third bike. But I have turned that down and decided enough is enough.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I bought a brand new 1250 GSA Rallye in Aprill. Had both front calipers, driveshaft, rear shock all replaced within 2 months. Then had a serious engine fault and I rejected the bike. BMW were exceptionally helpful with this and supplied a brand new 69reg which has broken down twice in the1st 2 weeks.

Piss poor

Up date due to constant problems with the new GSA1250 Rallye which was a replacement by BMW for the one that kept going wrong before. This bike is now going back aswell. BMW have been good but embarrassed and have offered me a third bike. But I have turned that down and decided enough is enough.

Good grief. Sounds like you’re doing the right thing by walking away.

That’s disgraceful. Good on BMW for trying to polish a turd though .

Dont blame you , sounds like you have had two friday made bikes ! I think i would be doing the same if i was you , fortunately ,or luckily , i have not had one single issue with mine or my 1200 TB before that .

Yes they have their problems, like most bikes. You only ever hear the bad stuff on forums, seldom do you hear about the good. Its sounds like a lot problems, but in reality in proportion to the amount of bikes sold its probably about average. Now i know "it shouldn't happen" to a "premium" brand, but because the bean counters are cutting everything to the bone, this is what happens.

Remember purchasing the new RT back in 2014, against the service managers and technicians advice, which was "wait a couple of years, let them iron the problems out" It ended up being recalled and I was without a bike for a couple of months. However, BMW fix the majority of issues/problems quickly and professionally.
The 2019 GS and GSA Rallye look absolutely stunning IMHO and are best versions I've ever ridden (test rides only). Compared to my 2016 GSA the engine feels notably more responsive, gearbox is super-slick and overall bikes feel so much more manoeuvrable and manageable, I was very surprised! Looks and rides so well I'd prepared to put up with a few minor issues, whilst hoping lightning doesn't strike twice.

Rejected two 2019 1250 GSA's

It is bound to happen sooner or later.
Don't panic!

Please report any problems or recalls related to this wonderful news edition of the large GS/A.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I've had two new GSA 1250 Rallies in 8 months and have rejected both of them.
The first new one was bought in April 2019 and had a lot of failures.
Finally the left hand cylinder head had a serious problem (common problem)
The 2nd one didn't last 500 miles before the front shock failed then two days latter the fuel pump failed.
Three weeks later the fuel cap wouldn't open
Two weeks later more fuel tank problems. now totally pissed off. BMW offered my a 3rd bike (very helpful to be fair}
Now had my money back and bought a KTM, so far so good.

The 2nd one didn't last 500 miles before the front shock failed then two days latter the fuel pump failed.
Two weeks later more fuel tank problems. now totally pissed off. BMW offered my a 3rd bike (very helpful to be fair}

Would it be possible to know what the various failures are? Especially the cylinder head issue? I bought my GSA 1250 Rallye a week ago so would be interested to know as I had heard the new 1250's were quieter than the 1200's but mine at idle sounds quite rattly and tappety but I have nothing to compare it to.

Pity that you have had bad luck , my new 1250 has been thrashed to its bones and still wants more , no issues at all that has spoilt the new ownership over the last 10,000 miles ,you must of had two Friday builds.
Lets hope the service you get from KTM will be as good as the BMW service , which I doubt as I has some issues with my new off road bike within the first 3 months and basically they did nothing and I had to chase them again and again until I gave up and put up with it mainly due to the fact the dealerships are thin on the ground, I feel its a shame as the KTM brand is great but they also have issues that I again hope the dealer will solve for you. Good luck :thumby::thumby:

Finally the left hand cylinder head had a serious problem (common problem) can you show me where you have this information from as I have not seen anything about this and wondered.
If BMW did not make the GS the KTM would be my next choice .

Pity that you have had bad luck , my new 1250 has been thrashed to its bones and still wants more , no issues at all that has spoilt the new ownership over the last 10,000 miles ,you must of had two Friday builds.
Lets hope the service you get from KTM will be as good as the BMW service , which I doubt as I has some issues with my new off road bike within the first 3 months and basically they did nothing and I had to chase them again and again until I gave up and put up with it mainly due to the fact the dealerships are thin on the ground, I feel its a shame as the KTM brand is great but they also have issues that I again hope the dealer will solve for you. Good luck :thumby::thumby:

Finally the left hand cylinder head had a serious problem (common problem) can you show me where you have this information from as I have not seen anything about this and wondered.
If BMW did not make the GS the KTM would be my next choice .

I had my engine replaced at 6,000 with a serious fault in the RH cylinder - piston slap of all things!

Bike seems fantastic now and I’m not BMW bashing - just saying as evidence that, seemingly, it’s not an isolated issue (but it’s still a great bike)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my engine replaced at 6,000 with a serious fault in the RH cylinder - piston slap of all things!

Bike seems fantastic now and I’m not BMW bashing - just saying as evidence that, seemingly, it’s not an isolated issue (but it’s still a great bike)

Thanks , just not heard of the issue on the new engine , but will keep an eye / ear out.
Had an issue on the 1200 that was due to bad cams and a bolt snapping on the cam , but not been advised of issues / dealer checks on the new 1250 even tho I have the usual , they all make that noise lol when I have asked.
Saying that its new so it will be covered by the new 3 yr warrantee so not to worry :thumb2:thumb2

Thanks , just not heard of the issue on the new engine , but will keep an eye / ear out.
Had an issue on the 1200 that was due to bad cams and a bolt snapping on the cam , but not been advised of issues / dealer checks on the new 1250 even tho I have the usual , they all make that noise lol when I have asked.
Saying that its new so it will be covered by the new 3 yr warrantee so not to worry :thumb2:thumb2

Exactly. Only concern is when the warranty runs out and if you still have the bike!

Ride safe,
www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom