Recalls/Problems with new R1250GS/A

The dealership principal, needs to take ownership of the problem. That is what he is paid to do. I know because I'm in the trade. You the customer should be his main priority. BMW UK are very helpful if handled correctly, they know these bikes are having big problems, and if talked to normally but firmly will get things sorted. Good luck my friend. Ps who is the dealership?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks! It’s Marshals of Grimsby who sold me the bike but Williams Manchester currently doing the engine swap.

Marshals told me that if I wanted to reject the bike I’d need to return it to them which wouldn’t be a problem but it’s a 300 mile round trip with no easy means to getting back except at my own expense.

Thanks! It’s Marshals of Grimsby who sold me the bike but Williams Manchester currently doing the engine swap.

Marshals told me that if I wanted to reject the bike I’d need to return it to them which wouldn’t be a problem but it’s a 300 mile round trip with no easy means to getting back except at my own expense.
Knowing what I do now and having two duff new 1250's and have it on good authority of other bikes that have failed 1250 engines. I would take the trouble to get the bike back to the dealership and get a full refund. Trust me it was the last thing I wanted to do because I loved the bike to ride. But now I'm free of the constant worry about it I'm much happier. As and when BMW can make a product that stays together I may consider returning to the brand. Good luck and don't let your heart rule your head.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He came on here for a bit, but disappeared quite quickly, once some folk didn’t accept his posts as entirely accurate.

I've always found him exceptionally knowledgeable and very helpful.Has taken time to explain complex jobs for no recompense.

I've always found him exceptionally knowledgeable and very helpful.Has taken time to explain complex jobs for no recompense.

So have I in the past... until he turned? Not nice....

I got my bike back today complete with a new engine and I'm sorry to say the new engine is at least as rattly on the LHS cylinder as the original if not perhaps a little worse. Williams have asked me to do at least 450 miles and then book it in for it's first service and they'll take a look but I'm not confident.

I got my bike back today complete with a new engine and I'm sorry to say the new engine is at least as rattly on the LHS cylinder as the original if not perhaps a little worse. Williams have asked me to do at least 450 miles and then book it in for it's first service and they'll take a look but I'm not confident.

Mmmm, doesn’t sound like a good start but you are in a no lose situation with the warranty so I’m sure all will eventually work out good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1250 GSA currently in BMW with Fault in engine control and panniers and Topbox to get new locks. Still awaiting diagnosis, but dealer I could not fault travelled 100 miles to pick bike up from me at home to have problems sorted. Will post again when I know more. Good news was 27 degrees was last Sunday on Moray coast in Scotland and that was it cooling down from 30 degrees. I was happy that I was far enough away from Thunder in the Glens at Aviemore that no Harley rider witnessed breakdown. Just glad it never happened attending the rally. lol

You are not alone, interested to find out what your dealer comes up with.??? was your dealer in Aberdeen.

Just a quick update...I got my bike back today...the dealer has replaced both cam chain tensioners. The ticking noise has now gone away so it looks like a fairly simple fix ...fingers crossed 🤞

Took my bike in again last weekend and left it with them, Im told that there was a issue with a big batch of batteries and now mine has been replaced, So fr so good, it seems to take less effort to start the bike now and not had the fail to start thing happen again upto now :)

I'm on my 3rd GS,great bike but you wouldn't want to own 1 out of warranty ! :thumb

Mmmm, doesn’t sound like a good start but you are in a no lose situation with the warranty so I’m sure all will eventually work out good!

Surely it is not a 'no lose situation' if they later say "well its now X months and Y miles since you bought it / had the engine swopped / other therefore you are past the point of returning it. Am probably being OTT but I would want the option of a later ret&refund in writing as the waters are just getting muddier? Good luck!

Surely it is not a 'no lose situation' if they later say "well its now X months and Y miles since you bought it / had the engine swopped / other therefore you are past the point of returning it. Am probably being OTT but I would want the option of a later ret&refund in writing as the waters are just getting muddier? Good luck!

Fair point but another engine comes with another full warranty

Glad to hear about the above. When BMW replaced the FD on my bike foc I asked for the paperwork and was told 'there isn't any' so i asked about the warranty on the replacement part and the reply was there wasn't one, but ...."they'd never had a replacement fail". I guess things have moved on since 2006. And yes, several yrs later that replacement FD failed and was rebuilt at MY cost by BMW and yes that one failed a couple of years later which was then rebuilt by 'someone of this parish'.

Slightly different tack; there is much made on here about number of units sold of say the 1250 and that it's the tiny % that give a prob & fail that get reported in this forum and that distorts the 'reality'. But that implies the bikes are somehow 'digital' either 1 or 0 ie either you have a good 'un or you are unlucky and have a bad 'un. But given engines are a collection of components ea of which is manufactured to a tolerance it seems likely that if say 5% are failing inside the warranty because of duff engineering tolerances, poor qc on material nitriding/ case hardening or poor qc on component assembly or whatever) it seems likely that other units could lie ONLY just inside the limit of failing on a critical component and so these units will run for a bit longer and fail say A YEAR OR TWO OUTSIDE the warranty? FWIW, would I ever buy the first generation of a new model again, nope, would I buy one after a few 1000 had been made and refined, YES. May be BMW are outsourcing more stuff, or more bits are being assembled in a foreign factory and whilst cutting production costs this new business model has yet to get a good grip on quality control. In the meantime they just fit keep fitting new replacement engines etc until the customer goes away. That's not a prob for BMW because they built contingency into the business model and the algorithm shows that the cost of the replacement units will only delay the break even point by a month or two and from then on it's jam all the way. Who knows??

Mine is booked in for next Saturday so we shall see what happens. I can hear the knocking/tapping noise even with ear plugs in so I’m fairly confident there is a problem with the new engine. Especially given that I’ve heard several other 1250’s and they are whisper quiet by comparison.

As I understand things, any item replaced under warranty is only warranted until the end of the warranty. If your engine gets replaced 4 months into a 12 month extended warranty (as mine was), the new engine is covered only by the length of the extended warranty. If you'd paid anything for the new engine, not an excess, then you would full parts warranty.

As I understand things, any item replaced under warranty is only warranted until the end of the warranty. If your engine gets replaced 4 months into a 12 month extended warranty (as mine was), the new engine is covered only by the length of the extended warranty. If you'd paid anything for the new engine, not an excess, then you would full parts warranty.

Correct, I paid a contribution to the labour and was told by Lind that I had a new 2 year warranty on the engine.

Glad to hear about the above. When BMW replaced the FD on my bike foc I asked for the paperwork and was told 'there isn't any' so i asked about the warranty on the replacement part and the reply was there wasn't one, but ...."they'd never had a replacement fail". I guess things have moved on since 2006. And yes, several yrs later that replacement FD failed and was rebuilt at MY cost by BMW and yes that one failed a couple of years later which was then rebuilt by 'someone of this parish'.

Slightly different tack; there is much made on here about number of units sold of say the 1250 and that it's the tiny % that give a prob & fail that get reported in this forum and that distorts the 'reality'. But that implies the bikes are somehow 'digital' either 1 or 0 ie either you have a good 'un or you are unlucky and have a bad 'un. But given engines are a collection of components ea of which is manufactured to a tolerance it seems likely that if say 5% are failing inside the warranty because of duff engineering tolerances, poor qc on material nitriding/ case hardening or poor qc on component assembly or whatever) it seems likely that other units could lie ONLY just inside the limit of failing on a critical component and so these units will run for a bit longer and fail say A YEAR OR TWO OUTSIDE the warranty? FWIW, would I ever buy the first generation of a new model again, nope, would I buy one after a few 1000 had been made and refined, YES. May be BMW are outsourcing more stuff, or more bits are being assembled in a foreign factory and whilst cutting production costs this new business model has yet to get a good grip on quality control. In the meantime they just fit keep fitting new replacement engines etc until the customer goes away. That's not a prob for BMW because they built contingency into the business model and the algorithm shows that the cost of the replacement units will only delay the break even point by a month or two and from then on it's jam all the way. Who knows??

Well said about the new models - if I didn’t need them for product development I’d buy the LAST of that model I think.

www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk

Some really 'valuable' insights here on how BMW warranty and goodwill repairs actually work in practice. I guess BMW figure that the savings / increased profit margins achieved by outsourcing components and assembling of engines etc in foreign lands will eventually pay off handsomely, and so in the meantime they can afford to offer a good customer service whilst the short comings of the new business model, such as getting a grip on QC in factories far far away and putting a stop to knock-off components and clothing (probably produced in the same factories!) are resolved. I think i read somewhere that Honda were producing its NC range of bikes in-house because they didn't want their 'New Concept' in bike design (in this case using half a Honda Jazz engine in the nc range of bikes to reduce unit costs) jeopardised by QC probs in the production process. And what a fine bike it is!:)

As said before mines going back in this coming weekend for it's oil change on the new engine, I've been riding it as much as I can to do the minimum mileage and the left hand cylinder noise is getting noticeably worse the more I use it. It'll be interesting to see what the outcome is on Saturday *facepalm*

Back
Top Bottom