Hartside Cafe

yes i have also seen this,i wonder who owns it now ,the insurance company or the original owner.the cafe is a big miss .
i doubt very much it will ever be the same,maybe a hotel in the future

The problem for a lot of these cafes, is that the car park fills up with bikes, with a fraction of the riders buying anything.

A large proportion seem to use the toilets and just hang around shooting shit with their pals.

Not convinced it is the best business plan.

The problem for a lot of these cafes, is that the car park fills up with bikes, with a fraction of the riders buying anything.

A large proportion seem to use the toilets and just hang around shooting shit with their pals.

Not convinced it is the best business plan.

Plenty of room on site for cars and bikes and when I’ve been up there customers were buying food and drink. The cafe needs moving to take better advantage of the view with a large screened terrrace. Maybe new owners will bring it up a level or two like Lord Stones nr Stokesley

At over £300k just for the plot it's never going to sell. You then have to pay to flatten the remains of the old café and then spend another couple of hundred K on replacing it with something worth while - so at over a cool half million and winter season being dead, I just can't see how this can ever make money, certainly not for a private person.

Saying that, I wish anyone with balls of steel and a laser sharp financial intellect good luck in any such venture.

James

I would presume that the owners have had an insurance payment for the loss caused by the fire so had they wished to remain in business the re-building costs would have been covered (or partly covered). I'd guess that, as others have said, there simply wasn't enough profit to make the effort worthwhile and, that will surely deter a potential entrepreneur, which is a great shame ... I wonder if McDs would be interested?

THe cafe down at Alston at the railway station was always better , think due to Hartsides location any new planned buildings will have to jump through hoops to please the National Parks Authority as well as local planners .

Real problem in such sites is always going to be profitablity and suitable alternative usage , used to be a decent cafe at Catcleugh Reservoir near Redesdale on the A68 attached to the filling station.

Closed due to high fuel prices (they were hammered by fuel companies on delivery costs )and low profits well over 10 years ago and even though the site has been up for sale on a regular basis with outline planning permission for change of use to housing it still appears not to be financially viable to redevelop

You would expect the land to be for sale by the owners - if they weren’t planning on rebuilding?

You could launch a rocket to Mars from the site, too.
It's so high up it'll be nearer the Milky Way; you'd get there marginally quicker as well.

You can't buy those kind of views very often. Anyone wanting to get themselves a house in a truly stunning location would be wise to take look.

The only downside is all those bloody noisy bikes tearing up and down the pass!

local rumour is that its been sold, but no idea whats happening, yet

Back
Top Bottom