Fuel strip 2009 model replace with float version 2010 model

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a R1200RT 2008/2009 model.

Looking at various bikes some have got the faulty fuel strip problem.

On looking at the parts lists for the K26(0368,0388) the pre 2010 model I can see it has the same tank as the k26(0430,0440) model (2010) . Looking at the parts list I can see these list the fuel strip (16147675547) and a level sensor (16148554066).

Is there any reason I can't take out the fuel strip and plug in the float (16148554066) version instead?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...26-BMW-R_1200_RT_10_0430,0440_&diagId=16_0823

What am I missing?

Neil

Although the tank and electronic fuel pump are the same part numbers , the pump assembly is a different part number so not sure it would work

I would also think the the ZFE is programmed differently but do not know for certain

I'm sure if it was this simple the Dealers would have swapped out the fuel strips for floats rather than replacing the strips under warranty

This thread is worth watching : https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/449335-Fuel-Strip-to-Float-Conversion-Dummy-Run

Some people are now on their 8th fuel strip and are now attempting to change to a float, from the reading on the above link they still need a full functioning fuel strip in order to implement the float version. I'll be in the UK again in 3 weeks with a suitcase of BMW parts for my conversion from R1200RT-P to standard....I must decide if I want to throw in a fuel strip too, the price is more or less the same.

For the proebeemer float you must fasten it to the pump body, I'm not sure if a template is supplied to make sure you get correct alignment. Also in the manual you must calibrate the system using a working fuel strip. It's almost like we need a floating working fuel strip that we can pass around to other forum member so they can perform the calibration. I might undertake this project in August when I'm back in the UK again as I won't have time this trip.

Pov spec GS - Low / basic ZFE comes with fuel float system

Onboard computer option comes with High ZFE and fuel strip system

Pov spec gets fuel low range warning at 50 miles remaining

High spec gets consumption/ mpg / range / low fuel warning

You could try a low ZFE in the bike at the same time, but all your high zfe functions wouldnt work

Back
Top Bottom