80/20 tyres

STR vs Trailrider for mountain road riding with some gravel tracks thrown in (latter taken at leisurely pace)?

STR vs Trailrider for mountain road riding with some gravel tracks thrown in (latter taken at leisurely pace)?

I've had 1 set of STR's (1 front 2 rears) I'm probably on my 4th set of Trailriders but I'f I was going on a trip where I knew I would be on some trails, gravel, fire roads I would probably choose the Pirelli.
Don't be worried about the blocky tread pattern on the Pirelli, they will carve up the twisties with the best of them!!!

You can see why the Pirelli would be better on a loose surface over the Avons.

Avon also do a Trekrider you could look up.
c1b02e6eab90ff8f30f880b59f805931.jpg
8ae2202404355af53d93f47335dab0a7.jpg

Sent from a U11

Has anyone tried the Karoo Streets? Interested to know how they handle decent pace on tarmac

I've just had Karoo Streets fitted, specifically because I've just done the RallyMoto Wales 500 and wanted something that could cope with gravel and packed mud better than the Tourance Nexts. I've only done around 500 miles on them so far, but on tarmac they have been good in the dry and rain. I haven't pushed them hard on tarmac, but from what I've done so far I wouldn't be nervous about it. I was also very impressed on unpaved roads; they gave me great confidence, even getting me through a rocky section and water crossing far better than I expected. Overall I think they are a good all-rounder for on road and a bit of off road.

I've just had Karoo Streets fitted, specifically because I've just done the RallyMoto Wales 500 and wanted something that could cope with gravel and packed mud better than the Tourance Nexts. I've only done around 500 miles on them so far, but on tarmac they have been good in the dry and rain. I haven't pushed them hard on tarmac, but from what I've done so far I wouldn't be nervous about it. I was also very impressed on unpaved roads; they gave me great confidence, even getting me through a rocky section and water crossing far better than I expected. Overall I think they are a good all-rounder for on road and a bit of off road.

Thanks, that is interesitng feedback as I haven't found much about those tyres, but to me they look like they should stack up. How does the road grip compare to the Tourance Nexts?

How does the road grip compare to the Tourance Nexts?

So far, road grip seems at least equal to the Tourance Nexts. I'm not a great fan of the Nexts because I've found them to sometimes be a bit unpredictable (and be absolutely dreadful on things like manhole even in the dry), and I haven't pushed the Karoo Streets hard on the tarmac yet, but I've felt no squirming or anything that would knock my confidence in them.

I've just realised one thing I didn't mention is the noise - they start to howl at around 40mph and get louder from there. It starts to disappear (or maybe just get too high in pitch for human ears) at 80mph+ (in theory, if you did such speeds which of course I never have on British roads).

I've been surprised how well the angry looking Heidanau K60 Scouts dealt with tarmac nice grip wet or dry and not too heavy to turn in. They were predictably good on muddy grass where ordinary trail tyres would have cause me a hernia trying to pick the bike up. The Conti TKC-70 looks aggressive but very light handling on road and totally rubbish on muddy grass. The front gave a very funny wear pattern but that might have been aggravated by a worn front shock.

Anakee Adventures are shockingly bad on wet roads. They’re an absolute liability. I can’t wait to change them when I get back from France as they’re the worst wet weather tyre I’ve used.

More of 100% asphalt... but for me the worst tyres I've ever tried on the wet so far have been the Metzeler Tourance Next.
Superb on dry asphalt... scary otherwise.
First time I had that experience with a motorbike tyre. Generally they are all good/decent for us normal riders.

I've had three sets of Trailsmart that I really loved, they managed traveling, city abuse even the odd (lighthearted) trackday. Not ideal in anything that wasn't dry gravel... but I'm not really expecting any of these type of tyres to perform in any way in the mud. :D
Just replaced the last set just Saturday with some TKC 70 and I tried them on some dry green lanes (I have very little offroad experience) and sort of had bit more confidence with the front (ie: I was able to brake semi-decently)
Haven't really used them properly on the road yet.

My tyre guy was talking highly of the Anakee Adventures. Didn't mention wet conditions at all :D

In the end I fitted Anakee Adventures as it was the on-road ability that was key for me. Only done a few hundred miles so far and they seem pretty good. Not noisy, sensible on-road grip. No idea of off road yet. Fwiw

can some one explain how you actually ride a GS off road.

I've had them for ten years but the front has a mind of its own and its un-ridable on lose surfaces. After 43 years of biking and many many years riding dirt bikes I can't get the front of any GS to grip or go anywhere I want it to. Its just tucks in and goes even when going ridiculously gently. I've seen vidoes where people do it but I don't understand how they are actually on the bike...

I'm happy riding anything else off road, even a fireblade with road tyres as it does exactly what it should and its faster and safer than a GS, so what's the trick?

Stand on the pegs,lean back and gas the fucker.If the front loses grip, gas it some more. I fink.

that was how I first tried it.... massive front end slide on gravel nearly lost it... it was also when I rode the fireblade…. which was normal and fun on the exact same bit of dirt
next time a massive 40m front slide on some green slime and somehow stayed on even though it tucked in and went …. I relaxed and thought oh well I didn't do anything wrong its the bike, as it went over at about 45mph there was a massive wobble and by magic I was back up and still on the bike... didn't make any sense...
third time I did 2 miles wobbling about in a track caused by tractor tyres, it was dry but hard to see with grass obscuring the track and I got worried it was going too well.... as the track opened up I thought tell you wot 2 miles with the forks flexing this way and that fighting the front all the time had hit my energy levels. I decided to take the one smooth flat bit and get out of the tank tracks and take a breather. And then I was on my arse.
forth time was flat dry mud and yes its easy - as it was the same as riding on tarmac

No problems off road but yes they do like to wash around on lose surface so you need a good front tyre like a tc80 or what I'm running the scorpion rally. As above you need to stand up and give her the gas and above all learn to trust the bike. I just done 5500 K off road to the tip of Australia and back through lose sand, mud, rocks, bull dust,deep ruts, creek crossings etc.
There a very capable bike once you learn to trust them.
Edit
Botus
This may sound strange but you need to relax and release your grip on the bars and let the bike do what it wants your only there to control the throttle and point it where you want to go. Wait to you ride one in soft sand now that's a new learning curve.

that was how I first tried it.... massive front end slide on gravel nearly lost it... it was also when I rode the fireblade…. which was normal and fun on the exact same bit of dirt
next time a massive 40m front slide on some green slime and somehow stayed on even though it tucked in and went …. I relaxed and thought oh well I didn't do anything wrong its the bike, as it went over at about 45mph there was a massive wobble and by magic I was back up and still on the bike... didn't make any sense...
third time I did 2 miles wobbling about in a track caused by tractor tyres, it was dry but hard to see with grass obscuring the track and I got worried it was going too well.... as the track opened up I thought tell you wot 2 miles with the forks flexing this way and that fighting the front all the time had hit my energy levels. I decided to take the one smooth flat bit and get out of the tank tracks and take a breather. And then I was on my arse.
forth time was flat dry mud and yes its easy - as it was the same as riding on tarmac

Sounds like you’ve got rut-f*ck. That’s what I called it when I tensed up leant forward, looked down, gripped the bars like grim death etc.

Do the opposite. Stand up, look up and a long way forward, weight back. That puts you in the right body position. Do not look down at the front wheel or just in front. And the bike works much better when you’re standing up.

Relax and let the front do its thing, use weighted pegs to help control direction.

I was like you. Then I had some excellent tuition. I’m no riding god by any means, but have comfortably competed in UK rally stages on the GS. And even rode a motocross track, that was fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No problems off road but yes they do like to wash around on lose surface so you need a good front tyre like a tc80 or what I'm running the scorpion rally. As above you need to stand up and give her the gas and above all learn to trust the bike. I just done 5500 K off road to the tip of Australia and back through lose sand, mud, rocks, bull dust,deep ruts, creek crossings etc.
There a very capable bike once you learn to trust them.
Edit
Botus
This may sound strange but you need to relax and release your grip on the bars and let the bike do what it wants your only there to control the throttle and point it where you want to go. Wait to you ride one in soft sand now that's a new learning curve.

Mostly +1

I have ridden mine 1000’s of miles off road now and think it’s superb.
Never had issues with the front washing out.
Dropped it plenty of times due to rider error or mud etc.
Biggest help is.... relax.
You are along for the ride and mostly dictate how fast you want that ride to be.
Power, power is nearly always your friend.
Except when you end up in a hedge :blast

I still find the off tarmac credentials and capability of my 2011 GSA to be truly amazing.

Back
Top Bottom