80/20 tyres

Meant to reply to this a while ago.

Am a decidedly average off road rider, but I think part of the issue is the engine braking capacity of GS. Many motocross riders love 2 strokes and one of the reasons is that when coming off the gas there is limited weight transfer to the front end. In a low grip environment this can be the difference between having grip and losing the front. Throttle control and throttle set up make a big difference, but in a low grip situation you need to be careful about gear selection and how you close the throttle. As others have said, in my experience the GS is really good in non-technical off road settings (which is the limit of my riding)

Anakee Adventure not great on GS. Would stick with Tourance next time

Anakee Adventure not great on GS. Would stick with Tourance next time

Hi,
I what respect are the Anakee Adventures not great please? Virtually every review I have read says they are a great tyre and highly recommended.
I plan on doing a long-ish European trip next year which will be mainly on tarmac but will no doubt involve some gravel/light off-road tracks and I am at a loss as to what tyres to fit. It was going to be the Anakee Adventures but now................??? I have got a R1200GS Rallye TE.

I forget if I wrote about this on another thread, but for what it's worth - on the 170/60 120/70 I would guess they will be better. The problem I had wasn't grip, it was wear at the manufacturer pressures. Initially wet and dry grip was great and offroad was fine - useless in mud, otherwise no issues although I didn't tackle anything moderately hard. The wear wasn't even and the grip deteriorated. My guess is that the narrower tyres on lower pressures (32-36 re BMW) struggle given the softer tread carcass. On wider tyres with 36-42 you may get the grip but have even wear. But this is my personal view with the benefit of being able to think about it for a little while. You could always try them now and see if you like them. Wet grip was pretty good so they should be fine for uk winter

I forget if I wrote about this on another thread, but for what it's worth - on the 170/60 120/70 I would guess they will be better. The problem I had wasn't grip, it was wear at the manufacturer pressures. Initially wet and dry grip was great and offroad was fine - useless in mud, otherwise no issues although I didn't tackle anything moderately hard. The wear wasn't even and the grip deteriorated. My guess is that the narrower tyres on lower pressures (32-36 re BMW) struggle given the softer tread carcass. On wider tyres with 36-42 you may get the grip but have even wear. But this is my personal view with the benefit of being able to think about it for a little while. You could always try them now and see if you like them. Wet grip was pretty good so they should be fine for uk winter

Hi NicD, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. It was very much appreciated. You have restored my confidence in the Anakee Adventures and I might give them a go. It was more the grip issues I was concerned with, particularly wet grip on 'normal' roads. I am also thinking of posting up a thread on the Watercooled GS Section to get some opinions of bikers on there. Many thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom