New Multistrada 1260

:thumb2

That was always the problem with the previous models. All a bit "tall" for someone who wasn't at least 6 feet high with a good 32" inside leg plus. The recent road tests report that Ducati had tried to broaden its applicability/adaptability to the shorter rider. Makes sense as it opens up potential ownership to a lot more people.

I had the 2013 MTS Pikes Peak and that was a bruiser of a bike..... heavy, grabby clutch, raw brute power and all "get-up-and-go". I only traded it in to give my nerves a rest :) I think I could have won the Pikes Peak race with it in its standard form ... ha ha. These latest bikes seem a lot more civilised whilst maintaining the bhp's. What's not to like.

Good photos you took there, by the way. Ideal bike for Belgium too..... brilliant roads.

Yep, I tried the MTS 1200 enduro and it was too high for me. You're right about the height of the new bike, it opens up a whole new market for Ducati.

Apart from the fuelling at low rpm's this bike is really smooth and the power delivery is really refined. I've ordered the full Termi on mine which comes with a re-map and the dealer assures me that low speed fuelling will be sorted.

Can't wait to get it now:bounce1:)

I tried the 1200 Enduro a couple of times with the standard seat. On an off camber stop i had one foot dangling in fresh air.
The bike is more top heavy than the GSA, It will be interesting to see how you get on with the bike.

Interesting comment there, Patzx12. I wonder whether the new 1260 Enduro addresses any of those differences in top heaviness. And also whether the height reduction in the newer 1260 has ameliorated any of those effects.

I guess Belgian Beemer could speak to that question directly having road tested the new models of each brand back-to-back.

For me, apart from the height issue, the reason I went back to a GS from my Pikes Peak was the nod towards a more docile bike (compared to the Pikes Peak) and the surety of not having a chain. Although when I read about the drive problems some people have had with their GSs, I'm not sure a modern chain is that much "worse" an option than a shaft drive that can fail at 20,000 miles. Personally, I've experienced two shaft drive failures, one with a GS1150 at 10,000 miles and later on a K1300 Tourer at just 6,600 miles. BMW paid for all parts despite both machines being out of warranty (but the labour was the highest cost and I had to pay for it).

The bike I rode did not give the impression of being top heavy, it was at least as easy to push it off the side stand as the GSA. Generally the way the bike handled and turned at normal road speeds felt lighter and more agile than the GSA. Low speed handling/manoeuvring also didn't feel any less stable than the GSA.
It is worth remembering that the Multi is around 15kg lighter than the GSA in road ready trim, so maybe that plays a role. Also the suspension on the new 1260 sits 1.5cm lower than the old 1200.
Having said all that the bike I rode was not fully fuelled, it had around half a tank of fuel on board. I don't think it will be an issue for me but will report back when I take delivery of the bike.

I'm sure you will love it , you'll also forget about the Termi cost when you hear it , definitely made a difference to my DVT and was noticeably sharper with the upmap :)

I have no enthusiasm to update my 2014GSA and in a few weeks I’ll have a loan 1250, but I could never live with gold wheels ( unless there is an alternative spoked option ). An MTS 1260 enduro would excite me very much indeed , so I read this thread with interest .

I went into local Ducati dealer to see it in the "metal".

It's a lot less fussy in design and finish (and colour) than the new GS 1250. It's nicely shaped too, no space wasted or over-used. And it has a symmetry that somehow seems to work. But it's still a tall bike despite the height reduction.... you'd need a good 31" inside leg or good stout boots.

However, aesthetically, Ducati deserve more "gold stars" than BMW this time round for looks and finish. Mechanicals and ride quality I don't know. It was freezing and icy so no temptation to road test. Not yet anyway :)

The belt change and desmo service is a bit pricey, in the UK at least.

I went into local Ducati dealer to see it in the "metal".

It's a lot less fussy in design and finish (and colour) than the new GS 1250. It's nicely shaped too, no space wasted or over-used. And it has a symmetry that somehow seems to work. But it's still a tall bike despite the height reduction.... you'd need a good 31" inside leg or good stout boots.

However, aesthetically, Ducati deserve more "gold stars" than BMW this time round for looks and finish. Mechanicals and ride quality I don't know. It was freezing and icy so no temptation to road test. Not yet anyway :)

I agree with your comments, it seems well put together and aesthetically well balanced. I did comment that the bike I tested was a bit lower than the bike in the showroom and according to the dealer when the ignition is on with rider in place the suspension adjusts slightly which makes it a little lower?

The belt change and desmo service is a bit pricey, in the UK at least.

Yes, I think it is the same over here:eek:
The good news is the service intervals have been increased to 15000km (9000m) and the Desmo biggie is at 30000km.......I may have moved it on by then!

But at 18,750 miles (30K km) there will be quite an expensive service. Not bad in the scheme of things and dont think its time dependant, but it will still make your eyes water.

RBW.

You're right it is not time related, just whenever you hit the 30k km. I've no doubt will make my eyes water though!

Desmo is all about operating the valves mechanically without relying on springs ( my amateur understanding ),so as to have better accuracy at high rpm and more power . However things have moved on and others now achieve this goal without need for complicated timing belts . There are plenty of diy YouTube belt changes showing you how to save £1k ( guess at today’s cost ?), but get it wrong and ........

Well, I finally got out for a test ride on the new 1260 Enduro yesterday………..Wow what a bike!

I currently have a 2015 GSA without quick shifter and the difference is huge, the Multi feels just so much more agile and the quick shifter worked perfectly both up and down.

As has been said the low down fuelling is not good out of the box, but with the full Termi (how much) it’s apparently fine!
I love the way the bike felt and handled and after riding it went straight to my BMW dealer to try the 1250GSA which is also a great bike with the extra power and definitely more suitable for 2 up touring.

The Ducati for me has more character and is capable of making the hair on the back of your neck stand up, something I didn’t experience on the BMW.

So, for me, this time, I fancy a change. I never tour with a pillion these days so I’m gonna bite the bullet and order the Ducati!

953427f7db12f8d9277a01ee9c0125ec.jpg

fc7109a3c3067198a6edbeca660f8b5c.jpg

0e6225ca91a0eaa9425377f4a66fef6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll need to change your forum name to 'Belgian Duke'........enjoy the new bike when it arrives (and don't think too much about the depreciation ;))

Are you going for the Sand colour or the Red ?

Both great colours... the Sand colour paint finish is very good quality and has a lot of texture to it when you see it close-up. Photographs don't do it justice. But the Red is, as you say, "traditional" Ducati and equally vibrant.

Back
Top Bottom