New Multistrada 1260

Tried an Enduro 1260 today and was really hoping to like it, but like almost every other adventure style bike I've ridden I found the wind buffeting annoying from the screen, regardless of what position it is in. I think I just need to accept I either need a sport tourer, or a sportsbike as nothing else seems to have the wind management I need. It was lovely and comfy though.

I also thought it was a bit quiet, but I guess thats Euro 4 for you.

RBW.

I am 6.3 and have only just begun my adventure bike adventure having had a life of sports, super sports and super nakeds.

I find that the biggest influence on buffeting is the helmet. I have a 1200 GSA and dont notice any buffeting at all, yesterday i took out my Monster 1200 and expected the buffeting to be dire, but again there is none unless i follow a truck when there begins involuntary headbanging

Anyone ridden one of these yet? Anyone got any thoughts on the subject?
I'm gonna change my 2015 GSA early next year and fancy something different. Can't get a test ride over here until February apparently, so looking for any info available out there.......

Finally road tested one last week. i.e. MTS 1260 Enduro. It's still a tall bike even after Ducati lowered this new model, and with the standard seat most riders without a long inside leg will be "dangling". The fit and finish looks very 'quality' and the aesthetics on the bike are very good, very typical of Italian styling at its best for what is after all a road/enduro style machine.

The bike delivers a lot of raw power and its 158 bhp is there to be felt, experienced and used. It's much punchier than the GS1200LC (can't speak about the 1250 LC as not ridden one). The bike is not for the laid back type of rider. It feels like it wants to go all the time and the speed/power is addictive all the way up and down the range. The engine is fantastic. You won't be bored !

Handling, turning, cornering etc are very good for what is after all a big long-legged enduro style bike with its big front wheel. The fuel tank range sits up there with the GS1200/1250 Adventure but the aesthetics of the fuel tank design are spot-on. It doesn't have the "pudding" look that the BMW Adventure has struggled with for so long. The Ducati designers have streamlined the tank to flow with the lines of the bike and it works.

Against the bike is its very high price (around £18K plus), the high cost of accessories, the sheer height (which will still exclude it to many potential owners) and the knowledge that this is a bike for a very "niche" kind of owner. The positives list is much more extensive though and to say it is "characterful" would be an understatement. Its ride is not as sophisticated as a BMW and there are some things that will annoy prospective owners. A road test is critical for anyone thinking of getting one.

I like it and if you're up for the overall riding and owning experience (and the cost), it's a great bike. Nice choice, Belgian Beemer. :)

Last edited:
Great review Alex, i completely agree with your assessment of the bike:thumb2

Just got news from my dealer that there are production problems at Ducati in Italy, my bike is delayed until April:blast

Hi BB.

Is that with both colour schemes ? Some of the dealers in England have been getting more of the red ones through recently, albeit only 1 per dealer so far (as far as I know).

I wondered if it was a Brexit thing perhaps, but of course BB is in Belgium.

It could be that they're receiving more orders than they can handle. Alternatively there may be issues with parts supply. Ducati announced at the end of last year that they planned to make concerted efforts in 2019 to increase production volumes overall, so manufacturing delays in March can't be helpful in this regard.

Hi BB.

Is that with both colour schemes ? Some of the dealers in England have been getting more of the red ones through recently, albeit only 1 per dealer so far (as far as I know).

Hi Alex,
As far as I know both colours are affected. Not really sure what it's all about, and to be honest, too busy with work at the mo to worry about it. If it is available on or before the middle of April I'll be quite happy. Sold my GSA today, so down to one bike now! Can't wait to get the Multi:bounce1

I wondered if it was a Brexit thing perhaps, but of course BB is in Belgium.

It could be that they're receiving more orders than they can handle. Alternatively there may be issues with parts supply. Ducati announced at the end of last year that they planned to make concerted efforts in 2019 to increase production volumes overall, so manufacturing delays in March can't be helpful in this regard.

Don't think it's Brexit related, maybe they have a lot of orders to fulfill? How are you getting on with yours?

Hi BB... made some enquiries over here and heard that Ducati are dealing with some large orders for several models, especially the new Panigale. It seems Ducati manufacturing are pretty busy.

Yes, delighted. It's a red one. Just waiting from some further new accessory parts to come from Bologna and it'll be finished for the year ahead. Was sorry to see the GS go, but the 1260 Enduro (demonstrator) was so addictive, I didn't want to give it back.

Would've considered a KTM, but there's no worthwhile dealership even remotely near me. My days of riding half way across Britain to find a dealer are long past me now. :)

Thanks for the info Alex, my dealer is saying pretty much the same so it sounds like they have more orders than they can cope with at the moment....Good news for Ducati!
My GSA sold yesterday and I was sorry to see it go too, but looking forward to the Ducati experience for the first time!
I also looked at the KTM and while I am sure they are very capable bikes I couldn't live with that headlight...imagine taking one last look at your bike (as you do) before closing the garage and seeing that face staring back at you!.......Not for me anyway:D
Spoke to my dealer today and if the bike hasn't arrived before the 3rd weekend of March, I get the use of their demonstrator for the weekend :thumb
Hope you manage to get out on the new bike often and enjoy your new toy!

Yes, I know what you mean about the "owl face" appearance of the KTM. It's technically very good but aesthetically a bit of a conundrum.

Glad your dealer was willing to let you take out the demonstrator 1260. I think that will make for good customer relations and the dealer does not lose by it.

The bike is not quite 'road-ready' yet but in any case the weather here is pretty stormy and the positive upside of that is that it should wash the remaining salt off the roads soon.

I had a quick spin on my buddy's new MS (not Enduro). Very nice but still a hooligan bike (he still prefers the "rough" pre-DVT bike he had).
It is the perfect bike for fast road work and track days. Not so happy pottering i think.
If you are buying one I would suggest you never take the 1250 HP GS for a spin.

Interesting feedback, Patzx12.

The Enduro is slightly less of a hooligan bike I'd say. Its responses are slightly slower given its different geometry and front wheel, and the sheer bulk has a more "calming" effect on it. It turns in slower and enforces more of a 'momentum effect' on the rider. But the power and urge are the same as is the ability for it to get up to blistering speeds on main roads in a pretty surprising fashion given it's meant to be an Enduro. Over 100 mph is available at a pace that'd surprise most riders.

The cockpit is definitely a different place from both the MTS-Sport and the GS bikes.

The new 1260 Enduro will potter as it's set up to be able to negotiate rough tracks at a safe speed but the whole experience is quite different. The GS is super competent whether you're engaged with it or not, but the Ducati seems to expect some level of ongoing engagement from the rider.

Back
Top Bottom