F750/850GS Specific aftermarket windscreens

Madstad make excellent products but you still need to match to a screen or take their complete solution which is HUGE and expensive. it is easy to slope the screen more towards you using spacers behind the (850) screen mount.

It is possible to buy the bracket alone, and fit it to the BMW screen. There's no reason to think it would not work with other after-market screens - such as the WRS, provided the screen is not too contoured around the mirror/handguards.

The bracket is available here - https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Madstad_Screens_and_Brackets_for_BMW_F850GS.html

It is possible to buy the bracket alone, and fit it to the BMW screen. There's no reason to think it would not work with other after-market screens - such as the WRS, provided the screen is not too contoured around the mirror/handguards.

The bracket is available here - https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Madstad_Screens_and_Brackets_for_BMW_F850GS.html

Using the Madstad with the OEM screen will not give much better protection as the movement up and down and tilt isn't that much (I had one on a V Strom). You would need to buy a different screen as well - perhaps the WRS or Givi/PUIG Touring screen for instance. I would see what people think of the MRA screen before spending £180 on a bracket and another £90 or so on a screen. I liked the MRA screen on my Tiger 955 and would have considered one instead of the Givi AF if it came out first. Since then, I have engineered the AF to work.

A final update. I have finally sorted the buffeting on my F750GS, and it's now super-quiet and comfortable from a wind-noise point of view - up to and beyond sane speeds. It has literally transformed the bike in my eyes.

The solution?

A combination of a Madstad bracket, Madstad side deflectors/winglets and the MRA vario-screen.

Expensive?

Yes, the bracket is an outrageous price at about £180 and the screen was about £100

Worth it?

Totally. No point in spending £10k+ on a bike and being disappointed with the weather/turbulence protection when it can be sorted out for £280.

(In these pics I have it on the highest setting, but after some experimentation with height, angle and position of the MRA deflector I have lowered it a little).

On the other hand, I do now have a WRS screen and 850 bracket that is surplus to requirements - if anyone's interested.. :D

Do the side deflectors come as part of the Madstad bracket for £180?

Hi Richard, glad that you have finally found a solution you are really happy with. As you say, it was not really that expensive in the overall cost of the bike, just a shame you needed to try several solutions before finding the one that suits. I am still generally happy with the larger BMW 850 screen from a windflow perspective but there is quite a lot of noise around the helmet - so how much are you looking for for your WRS screen?

Hi Richard, glad that you have finally found a solution you are really happy with. As you say, it was not really that expensive in the overall cost of the bike, just a shame you needed to try several solutions before finding the one that suits. I am still generally happy with the larger BMW 850 screen from a windflow perspective but there is quite a lot of noise around the helmet - so how much are you looking for for your WRS screen?

Hi Steve. I would sell the WRS screen to you for £60 inc postage. Obviously, that would not include the 850 bracket.

Just fitted the airflow to a 850
5 minutes work and looks the part will try it out if it stops snowing
Have tried the powerbronze and Wunderlich’s but still not happy
Powerbronze was rubbish while Wunderlich is better and works best with the add on top deflector
Not sure how BMW can not make a screen that does not buffet you or make you deaf on what is a super bike
Will let you know how it works

One of the things I forgot to mention... The Madstad kit also comes with an accessory bracket that fits between the two screen brackets - and makes a great mounting position for an after-market GPS (in my case an old car-based Garmin Nuvi, which does what I need):

And that is a much better location than the BMW one which is too low for comfort and difficult to use at all with anything but a small tank bag fitted.

Having bought Richard's WRS screen (thanks again!) I am pleased to report that after a long ride on mixed roads this screen is brilliant for me. It is a very similar shape to the F850 screen but a bit wider and about 3 inches taller. I am only 5' 6" and run a standard bike with low seat so not typical of most users I guess but this screen has cut down wind noise enormously, has improved wind protection noticeably, especially around the shoulders, and has not introduced any buffeting or discomfort. I can even ride with the visor ajar at up to 60 - 70 mph without problems. A great buy :)- even though I had to buy a BMW screen first :(.

I have now done a lot more miles on a complete variety of roads using the WRS screen and I am just amazed at how well it suits me and the bike. I have had many bikes over the years and often tried a wide variety of manufacturer and aftermarket screens on them but I have to say this is the best match I have ever found for the right mix of protection, airflow and quietness. I realise this is just a particular set of personal circumstances but I am so pleased with the screen that I felt I had to post about it again! :thumb2

@OldSteve I have the WRS screen on my 750GS and it is perfect for me. I have done roughly 500 miles since adding the screen. I am 5’3 btw. Riding is just more enjoyable as I am not directly by wind any longer. I haven’t encountered an turbulences.

I need to build more confidence on the bike but that’s a different thread all together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi DanaG, glad to hear you too find the screen a good match. Confidence comes from experience and perhaps additional training depending on your background. I would definitely recommend either IAM or ROSPA advanced training but also, if there are specific issues you are concerned about, finding a local trainer who is willing to help you focus on those points - that's what I did for some slow riding and turns control. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Hmmm. Sound like I didn't charge you enough for the WRS, Steve. :D

Seriously though, it's great that the screen suits you and your riding position.

Yes indeed!! It is just luck really to find a screen that suits the bike and rider combination. As I said earlier, I have tried loads in the past and never really found a great combination. In fact the standard screen on a (lowered) R1200GS was ideal for me as well, unfortunately the bike itself was a bit too bulky for my liking.

I fitted GIVI tall screen to F850GS. Not happy with turbulence so had 10cm cut off the top (thus removing the 'wings') Result is much better and VERY quiet at high speed with a little ducking down (i am 6ft +). Will test wet weather protection next week in France!

I've put the Madstad bracket and the MRA vario screen up for sale in case anyone's interested...

Back
Top Bottom