Zumo 550 full of water ~

David Nimrod

Reality you can rely on...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, my new (to me) 550 is now apparently waterlogged, after a few very wet rides.
The screen has what looks like condensation behind it, and is very light grey. The map display etc is just visible, but not enough to use.
After years of using 2610 and 2820 units, this is seriously disappointing.
Oh well...

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

It's fecked.

Not my best buy...
86bc62ba2168662e128ea15ffe811e6a.jpg

That is unusual.

Not water entered via the seal on bottom door? Perhaps the rubber button covers have split? I lost one and just taped over it (the zoom in button) Leave it open on a stand above a radiator or in the airing cupboard and it should come good - then investigate how the water got in.

Well, my new (to me) 550 is now apparently waterlogged, after a few very wet rides.
The screen has what looks like condensation behind it, and is very light grey. The map display etc is just visible, but not enough to use.
After years of using 2610 and 2820 units, this is seriously disappointing.
Oh well...

Send Garmin an email with a photo of the unit, you might be happily surprised at how good they can be sometimes.

I'd hazard a guess that maybe a previous owner changed out the screen/digitizer and made a horlicks of it.

Sent from a U11

I don't know if the screen is genuine... I'll see if I can find out.
I only bought it recently.

As Blackal says, they can split round the buttons, it's not easy to see. I taped over the Power button on mine and used it for quite a while after that till the screen digitiser packed in.

A wee tip, run a bit heat from a hairdryer / hot air gun over insulating or gaffer tape once applied, makes it stick like sh*t to a blanket.

Put it in a sealable plastic bag, with a hand full of rice and put it in the airing cupboard.

That will dry it out. Then you can look at sealing it properly.

Don't bother with the bag of rice., just loose in the airing cupboard and drive out the water with the heat.

(you don't bother stuffing your towels into bags of rice when drying them)

Don't bother with the bag of rice., just loose in the airing cupboard and drive out the water with the heat.

(you don't bother stuffing your towels into bags of rice when drying them)

Fair point.

(I've now got to take all of my towels out of bags and empty the rice)

I replaced a screen on one last year (well, my mate did it for me)
There are two slightly different sized screens available for the 550, there is only a fraction in the difference.
I purchased the smaller (wrong) one first and my mate said he could use it but it wouldn't seal properly.
I bought the correct one and the job was oxo.

Sent from a U11

If you send it back to Garmin, they will give you 30% of the RRP of a new motorcycle sat nav.

Dunno if I'll do this, or more likely, put it down to experience, and use one of my other ones:thumb2

I’ve about given up on garmin,I’ve bought 3 and they have all failed
I just use a map now and my phone to get to the end destination when I’ve had enough for the day.
Even better if I can ride with mates that enjoy the tech and I can just follow,lemming like without having to even think:D

Split the case,

And then apply waterproof sealant to the case halves

and round the inside / back of the screen before you reassemble it

I’ve about given up on garmin,I’ve bought 3 and they have all failed

I've bought 9 Garmin units in 17 years (4 bike + 5 car) and none have failed completely (bluetooth went in 1 bike unit). 2 have had software failures within a month of purchase, been replaced quickly under warranty and then worked faultlessly for 5 or more years.
It would appear that Tom Tom service has improved over the past 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom