Planning a trip to Scotland?

Mine arrived today.

Brilliant thanks...

Got mine today with a little note from the author, looks a cracking book, now got do some planning :thumb2

Spoilt for choice. A 1 night pass out yesterday let me stop at Aultguish Inn Garve and revisit many of our best roads.

Ledmore Junction to Garve anyone?

Oban to Inveraray?

Plus dozens more.

I’d stay away from that NC thing. And hot spots like Applecross.

We’re jam packed with tourists of all kinds. Queued back onto road for fuel at Morrisons Fort William. Many cafes, etc. still closed, e.g. ski slopes.

Lovely newish Grantown East railway cafe has re-opened.

700 miles. An extra detour today due to a bad car crash closing the A83 at Furnace.

That led me onto the best surfaced single track I’ve ever seen.

Taynult - Lochearnhead - Gleneagles - Glen Devon almost to myself. Brilliant.

The advantage of riding on a Saturday evening is that everyone’s at home.

Even the stretch with new average speed cameras from Tyndrum to Lix Toll was bearable.

Attachments

• 090485EB-4E25-47B3-B38D-CF7A02B24DD4.jpg
    090485EB-4E25-47B3-B38D-CF7A02B24DD4.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 73632A05-FF8F-432D-AB9B-9BEF7AFBEDD4.jpg
    73632A05-FF8F-432D-AB9B-9BEF7AFBEDD4.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 185
Is the Inn open? Might have to have a run up to Knlochewe to sort out some telescope cases....be good to make an expedition of it....

Spoilt for choice. A 1 night pass out yesterday let me stop at Aultguish Inn Garve and revisit many of our best roads.

Ledmore Junction to Garve anyone?

When heading north I feel a real sense of wide open spaces / freedom when crossing over the Black Bridge about 5 miles out of Garve. Certainly one of the great roads which combine great bends and straights and where however fast you're going, it fills the need for speed.

It was certainly interesting going over that road to the Braemore junction in 40mph winds and driving rain last Tuesday

Is the Inn open? Might have to have a run up to Knlochewe to sort out some telescope cases....be good to make an expedition of it....

Indeed it was / is.

Apologies for my dinner. Best venison steak.

Attachments

• 21F3708C-2117-447B-A0F6-FD1B0559185B.jpg
    21F3708C-2117-447B-A0F6-FD1B0559185B.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 219
  • C443D3A2-695D-42A1-AF42-F9432412A771.jpg
    C443D3A2-695D-42A1-AF42-F9432412A771.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 247
Just order a copy and on John Fergusson's recommendation, ordered a copy of this too - 2nd hand only on Amazon...

"Best Rides Motorcycle Atlas", it is A5 spiral bound and waterproof..

After my experiences in Glasgow as Cadet, I think waterproof is the first thing you need going to Scotland!

A waterproof, tear proof, A5 spiral bound compact atlas of the UK with over 300 recommmend motorcycle routes highlighted in it. The routes are recommended by riders who know them best those who have ridden them. There are speed camera locations highlighted on the recommended routes. Urban area mapping for 17 major cities in the UK. Scale of route maps 1 inch to 10 miles. Designed to fit in inside pocket, map holder or tank bag. Mapping by Collins Bartholomew and Speed Cameras by Cyclops.

Indeed, it’s a useful top box filler. Not in OS detail of course, as I found yesterday after a necessary diversion near Lochgilphead.

Attachments

• 9BA02807-E415-4F44-9B06-3B1141AB6FF5.jpg
    9BA02807-E415-4F44-9B06-3B1141AB6FF5.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 257
What's the Altguish like now - I believe it has new owners?

Mr & Mrs Boss who dealt with me are certainly not from these shores. I've no idea if they are the owners or the managers.

Made for an interesting phone call when I made a booking on phone last week. Name spelt wrong but not mission critical.

Clean room. Food and drink as expected.

What's not to like?

In fact, I'm dragging my good lady up there next weekend on 4 wheels for the Night Of Her Life (joking of course) to give her a break from kitchen duties after 20 weeks of lock down.

ps - I'd forgotten what real midgies looked like. Little bastids swarmed into my room when I foolishly opened window for some wonderful country air.

Mr & Mrs Boss who dealt with me are certainly not from these shores. I've no idea if they are the owners or the managers.

Made for an interesting phone call when I made a booking on phone last week. Name spelt wrong but not mission critical.

Clean room. Food and drink as expected.

What's not to like?

In fact, I'm dragging my good lady up there next weekend on 4 wheels for the Night Of Her Life (joking of course) to give her a break from kitchen duties after 20 weeks of lock down.

ps - I'd forgotten what real midgies looked like. Little bastids swarmed into my room when I foolishly opened window for some wonderful country air.

I learnt the hard way too!

Hello folks, off to Oban on Mar.18th, on to Inverness
I have to stop for 1 nite, the premier inn price about 100€ , now I'm looking for alternative. some of the cheaper places have no parking.
Have youse any recommendations?
thanx a mil, cheers Josey

Hello folks, off to Oban on Mar.18th, on to Inverness
I have to stop for 1 nite, the premier inn price about 100€ , now I'm looking for alternative. some of the cheaper places have no parking.
Have youse any recommendations?
thanx a mil, cheers Josey
We’ve used the Oban Premier Inn a good few times. £100.00 sounds about right as I remember. We did used to use one of the guesthouses but the old boy died a few years back and his wife sold up I think. We’ve also used the Oban Bay Hotel until their prices went through the roof.
Having shopped around we have decided the Premier Inn is about the best for central, parking and price. There’s a Spoons just around the corner for breakfast and endless coffee too.
We also use the Premier Inn in Inverness. The Millburn road one. Again fairly central, good parking this one does breakfast though.

If you or others are looking for somewhere to stay near Inverness, take a look at the Downright Gabbler in Beauly https://downrightgabbler.co.uk/ It's owned and operated by a lovely family. It's high end self catering with a small kitchenette in each 'flat', and no more expensive than a Premier Inn. There are places to eat in the village and a a co-op. We stay there frequently so can personally recommend. They also do special 'food nights' which are worth checking out.
Enjoy your trip!

thanx a mil, thanx for the heads up, much obliged
coming from the Atlantic I'll make it as far as Oban in one day, and next day onward to Inverness.
I passed Beauly last year on the train to Skye.
I use INV as a base for a few days to catch trains with a friend, so have more days booked in the PI.
cheers Josey

On the back of this thread I received my copy from that nice Mr Fergusson last week. A cracking little book and very pleased with it..👍

Back
Top Bottom