Ultimate Windshield Adjuster

Now on e-bay.......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323561605921

Comes with these easy to understand instructions too!

'Release your claws, choose the wind when you don't ride a bike. But it is not recommended for special high speed when using electric wind.
Use simple tools and hands-on ability, cyclists spend less time to experience, the fun of their installation, or ask the local club or dealer installations. Easy to understand. Novice half an hour to complete the installation, do not destroy the original line, lead to the fault code.'

Simples.

I built myself an AirFlow double screen for my GS since Givi don't do one for the LC range. This gives an large range of adjustment since you can adjust both the position of the base screen and the AirFlow blade independently, with the AirFlow adjustment possible with care while riding. I found it very effective and could ride with an open visor at any speed, while still being able to look over the screen rather than through it.

Since I am trading my GS in for an R1250RS I have put it back to standard and so I will be selling this screen along with various other bits if anyone is interested. You can see it in the following pictures. Although my bike is a GS I believe it should also fit a GSA. You will need to fit a screen brace with this - I used a Givi brace which just fits on the left side and found this to be fine.

A6K-3047129-6061-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-6059-X2.jpg

A6K-3047129-5634-X2.jpg

Puig arrived and installed.

I have also ordered a set of Aeroflow HFX flares and “Gards”
0/10

Why do you need those when you had a tranquil set up prior to trying the ERS?

I'm curious about your reported findings as there is a gap between the screen and the ERS assembly, albeit a small one. I'm wondering whether this accelerates the under screen air flow compared to standard? Aerodynamics is not simple...

@nikos

I ordered them out of pure curiosity.
At best they will improve airflow and dynamics and at worst they will do nothing and I will remove them.
But the general reviews have all been excellent and the quest for adapting and modifying is a never ending and very enjoyable at the same time.

I also like sharing my thoughts & findings so others can benefit and perhaps enjoy a “better” ride.

UPDATE:

David Puig responded to my (very long and comprehensive) email this evening which I sent 2 days ago.
His response was detailed, caring and utterly professional.

Long story short, he will be sending out a NEW ERS unit together with some handguards.
It seems my one may be faulty and the turbulence created can be neutralized by placing some deflectors on either side of the handlebar.

Failing this and if I’m not 100% satisfied, I have been offered a full refund for both the original ERS I purchased and the Puig Touring screen.
I have to admit that I am overwhelmed by his response and willingness to solve the issue and of course I have agreed to try out the new setup.

I will update the thread once I’ve received/installed the new setup.
I take my hat off to Puig. Well done is an understatement!

It's appreciated @eisen77 and thanks for your reporting. I have not achieved tranquility but I'm 1,98m tall. Maybe we can compare notes, I intend to try the ERS with the new GIVI 5124 dt soon.

For reference, i am 1.87m.
We can definitely compare notes.

If you can hold on a bit, i will be receiving my Wunderlich Marathon next week plus an Xcreen (it should also arrive soon, if MRA decide to let me know my tracking number/order status).
The Aeroflow accessories will be here in 10-20 days.

I intend to try them all and mix & match to see what the nicest overall setup is.
At 1.98m, i think you will benefit greatly from a tall(er) screen and a Wunderlich Ergo lip or Xcreen. You will still be able to see over the screen and all the dirty air will be pushed over your helmet.
In all the upright bikes i have owned, i found that for me the best screen setting was just below eye level - so i could see over.
Massive barn door shields have never gone down well with me (for example, like a Cee Baileys on my GL1800 that extended 20cm+ OVER my helmet). But, as we know its very individual and what did not suit me may be perfect for another.

And just to confuse matters, i ordered a Wunderlich PANE extension as well. I REALLY have no idea if and how this deflector will work. There are ZERO reviews online....and i have looked everywhere. I have faith that Wunderlich have designed a functional product; but i will be well within my rights to return it (within a certain timeframe) if it emerges as a useless farkle.
The pane is something i will put on first, to see how it affects aerodynamics in my bog standard configuration (i.e with the OEM adv. screen and ergo lip). From there i will start adding/changing pieces.

I just sold a Wunderlich Marathon, it's a real barn door and very heavy, with no central flow channel. I'm currently using an MRA X Creen touring which if I were to be 10 cm shorter would be ok ish. It is however too narrow at 385mm. I also have the PUIG lower deflector set up which does seem to keep my legs drier/warmer.

Getting the right combination is always trial and error.
Not so happy to hear about the Marathon, but as it’s on it’s way I guess I’m going to try it anyway. No point just sending it straight back.

Re. the pane, I understand what it does - but I was looking for real world reviews (of which I can’t find any).
So whether is positively or negatively affects wind management remains to be seen. There is no data or wind tunnel tests to show its effectiveness.

Nikos. What are you suffering from mostly now ? Turbulence and dirty air (as in headache inducing shaking and wind gusts) or just noise/wind ?
Just interested in what your goal is.

Regarding shoulder and upper body protection, THESE are what Puig will be sending me to relieve the wind being directed to my shoulders & head.

eisen77, my issue is noise, impossible to hear intercom above 35mph.
I'm curious about the handle bar deflectors, as there is little flow over the handlebars (that's why I think those hand protector extensions are a waste of time)

Thanks for the reports and opinions on the PUIG system.

Has anyone tried or purchased the chinese system as shown at the beggining of this topic ?

This past May I wrote the guy that manufactures it with a few questionsand following, his answers:

1 Can it be used on the GSW Adventure in spite of its larger windshield ?yes

2 Can it be operated with the bike running ?yes
At what speed does the Wind resistance makes it stop working ? 70km/h

3 Can it be also be shipped through FEDEX or Just through the mail ? ship with chunghwa post

4 Is shipping immediate after receiving PAYPAL payment ? 5 days

5 Could please quote shipping costs through both mail and FEDEX ?
yes but shipping cost is expensive.maybe can use EMS.

6 Do you have any additional literature or vídeos ? Waiting for me to record

7 Does it come with na instalation and instruction manual ? i will made it
If so, could send me a copy to this email ?ok

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzU0NDQ1MTc2NA==.html?firsttime=52

I figure that the only way I will find out if it works and how well it fulfills its functions is to try it out.

The 70 km/h speed limit for electric operation seems true as this is the speed I still can operate BMW's handle for raising or lowering the screen.

Although far from ideal, in my opinion the limiting factor is BMW's mechanism that, when under wind pressure flexes the screen making the sliders lock on its guiding rod. To work under greater speeds it would have to be made similar to BMW's own 1150, 1200 and now 1250 RT or K1600 in its diferent versions.

As I understand that the limiting factor for the low speed limit under which the original GS system works are the bushings that slide on the guiding rod, I plan to try to find some bearings to perform this function. If I am successful I believe it will work either manually or electrically, under higher speeds as well.

Delivery time is expected to be quite long, untill March 11 th. As soon as I have it mounted and tried I will report here.

Back
Top Bottom