YAMAHA XJ900 DIVERSION

Lee Frost

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As I will soon take delivery of an immaculate, low mileage Divi 900 courtesy of sutcliffe995, I was wondering if any fellows Tossers own the same model, have any tips, suggestions for useful mods etc. New territory for me having sold my GSA and KTM, but I'm kind of excited! :beerjug:

As I will soon take delivery of an immaculate, low mileage Divi 900 courtesy of sutcliffe995, I was wondering if any fellows Tossers own the same model, have any tips, suggestions for useful mods etc. New territory for me having sold my GSA and KTM, but I'm kind of excited! :beerjug:

The front brakes have no feel, it’s a common modification to replace the front calipers and master cylinder with ones of a fazer 1000 or 600, this gives a better feel, plus is span adjustable, but bolt straight on, you have to use the brake switch of the fazer, and crimp on two mini spade connectors.

The front brakes have no feel, it’s a common modification to replace the front calipers and master cylinder with ones of a fazer 1000 or 600, this gives a better feel, plus is span adjustable, but bolt straight on, you have to use the brake switch of the fazer, and crimp on two mini spade connectors.

Thanks Ian!

You lucky, lucky barsteward! I fancied that myself! It looks an absolute cracker! Take good care of it and enjoy it, it’s a lovely bike.

Do not put diesel in the tank, how do I know...............;)

You lucky, lucky barsteward! I fancied that myself! It looks an absolute cracker! Take good care of it and enjoy it, it’s a lovely bike.

I certainly will - can't wait!

Although the bike is in no doubt mint. I strongly suspect it will be up for sale in 12 months. Diversions are just unexciting and dull, not nice but true, they are not exactly everyone's wish list.

However it is an average bike that will be reliable. I ride for pleasure and the bike needs to excite. Much like my women.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Although the bike is in no doubt mint. I strongly suspect it will be up for sale in 12 months. Diversions are just unexciting and dull, not nice but true, they are not exactly everyone's wish list.

However it is an average bike that will be reliable. I ride for pleasure and the bike needs to excite. Much like my women.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

I never found them unexiting and dull, well not compared to some Honda’s,

I found them top heavy and extremely reliable, sure exhausts rot, but can be replaced with stainless, the centre stands can crack and fail, and they are not the easiest to put on the stand, and swing arm bearings need changing regularly, the original shock is cheap and nasty, and they can suffer with carb icing, but they are pretty bullet proof,
They are a budget tourer, not exceptional at anything, never going to be a desirable classic, sure they are not as interesting as my Guzzi’s or beemers, but given regular maintenance will last pretty well, and that’s using cheap semi synthetic car oil, despite being a budget bike
I would pick one over a dueville every time.

Thanks for the info and opinions. I decided to buy the Divi partly because i don’t get enough time to ride any more to justify having loads of money tied up in bikes but didn’t want to be bikeless. For just over £2000 this one seems ideal - it’s in lovely condition, has low miles and comes with luggage, new tyre etc so it’s a relatively cheap bike that I can take out for the day, go touring on it I get the chance and it’s not going to cost me or lose me in depreciation a load of money. For the same outlay I wouldn’t get much with a BMW badge on it!

Thanks for the info and opinions. I decided to buy the Divi partly because i don’t get enough time to ride any more to justify having loads of money tied up in bikes but didn’t want to be bikeless. For just over £2000 this one seems ideal - it’s in lovely condition, has low miles and comes with luggage, new tyre etc so it’s a relatively cheap bike that I can take out for the day, go touring on it I get the chance and it’s not going to cost me or lose me in depreciation a load of money. For the same outlay I wouldn’t get much with a BMW badge on it!

It will be great for you, they handle well enough, and can do serious miles, a good one will last a long time, I have seen many with 100,000 miles upwards that are running superbly.

There is a guy at Stafford Classic bike show who allways has two or more “Sutcliffe” standard bikes on his stand. They are mint. He usually has a range if Divi parts and accessories. I never noted his name or company, but he is allways on the corner , outside near the Wall of Death. Its a full size pitch and its full of divi bits.

Steve

...it’s in lovely condition, has low miles and comes with luggage, new tyre etc so it’s a relatively cheap bike that I can take out for the day, go touring on it I get the chance and it’s not going to cost me or lose me in depreciation a load of money. For the same outlay I wouldn’t get much with a BMW badge on it!

I remember when we all rode UJM's (universal Japanese motorcycles) for pretty much this reason.

They would commute, scratch, go to the supermarket for the weekly shop, or ride around Europe for three weeks, two up, with camping luggage.

Now we have increasingly ridiculous, niche market bikes, for extraordinary amounts of money...

I'd say that this bike is a genuine 'do it all' solution: pragmatic, utilitarian, understated and practical.

The fact that they're a bit dull isn't the point, because it's what you do with it that counts;):thumb

Ian, Steve and David - thanks, and I agree with everything said. Ican’t wait to take delivery and start riding it.
Btw David - my stepson is still loving the MX5 and it has been faultless. He rode it to the Alps in the summer and did the 5 Passes Loop that we’d ridden on our bikes the year before.

First ride a couple of days back, and though the Divi will never set the world on fire with excitement, I actually enjoyed myself! Looking forward to some touring next year. It came with luggage, so why the hell not! :beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_5264.jpg
    IMG_5264.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 889
Btw David - my stepson is still loving the MX5 and it has been faultless. He rode it to the Alps in the summer and did the 5 Passes Loop that we’d ridden on our bikes the year before.

That's great!
Really pleased he's having a good time with the MX5...
It's all about having fun

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Ref. carb icing. It only ever happened to mine at exactly the same place in winter on the M27 as I crossed the bridge over the Hamble. I bought a gallon of Isopropanol alcohol, this is the major ingredient in Silkoline FST. Used this without any detrimental effect for a few years.

Great bikes, very reliable. Bought it on 32,000, sold it with 69,000. Replaced exhaust system with a Delkevic.

Once a year, I chuck some in the bike tanks, as it emulsifies any water in the tank and burns it off with the fuel.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...hUKEwiJsYrv68DkAhXrURUIHRKQAngQ2CkIvQI&adurl=

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom