Something to do in January

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It looks as if I’ll be doing this one with one of the guys I’ve done a lot of winter rallies with over the years.

ac2543ed098058fd22f341febbbedcc9.jpg

We were casting the net out looking for somewhere different to go and he found this as a flyer on a Norwegian clubs website so he’s emailed the organisers and asked them if we can put in an appearance and they’ve said yes so it’s game on.

We’ll leave on the Wednesday night, see where we get to on Thursday then book a hotel somewhere, spend Friday and Saturday night annoying the Danes then head back catching the overnight ferry from the Hook on the Monday.

If there’s no snow around I might even take the KTM but to be honest it looks as if it’s the ideal trip for an 1150 GS and that’s why I bought the bike.

Is the other idiot the retired train driver as I know he has been in Scandinavia recently?

No, he showed a small degree of interest then went quiet so it’s just going to be myself and Nick.

I asked the question on the mailing list regarding who was up for a couple of nights camping in the middle of winter and only Nick still has the enthusiasm for this kind of masochistic behaviour so that’s where we are.

Long gone are those halcyon days when ten of us would set off knowing that at least one would crash or break down and going back to using an old snotter (assuming I use the GS) is a return to the early days when half the fun was taking something close to being disposable :D

Hmmm, I decided to fire up the GS for the first time in over 3 moths and failed at the first hurdle due to a flat battery. I started it with a booster pack and by the time it was warmed up then switched off it was close to starting unassisted so now it’s on charge and all will be well.

A plastic can containing 5l of ACF50 arrived today so once the battery is fully charged I’ll give the bike a proper clean then blather it with Gods gift to rust prevention and it’s job done.

Next thing is to fit a pair of furry muffs so I can plunge my hands up to the wrists in them and luxuriate in that feeling of inner well being when the temperature nears freezing point. I’m tempted to buy a shite bag but that might be overkill because I’ve got a heated jacket I can use as a hi-tech replacement for Ready Brek and if I’m feeling a bit insecure I’ve got heated socks I can use instead of relying on heat transference from the engine.

I’d have to be mad to use the KTM instead of the GS but I’m not exactly World renowned for good judgement when it comes to using the right bike at the right time :D

Right then, I’m going again this winter (17th - 19th January) so I might as well resurrect this thread and see if anyone wants to go to a remarkably friendly and low key winter rally in Denmark?

It’ll be the two of us who went this year plus my wife says she’d like to do a ‘proper’ winter rally so she’s currently going but may run and hide when it comes to it. As is usually the case others have expressed a minor degree of interest but that’s it.

So what’s it like? Well it’s not like the hardcore German or Austrian winter rallies where you’re likely to need all sorts of extra kit to survive, this one is at the organising clubs HQ which means you’re camping on a nice flat surface right next to the road because they purchased the football ground from a small village and have the pitch to put tents on and the clubhouse to keep warm in. It’s about £20 per person and for that you get an evening meal on the Friday, three meals on the Saturday then breakfast on the Sunday morning. There’s always free coffee or tea available in the clubhouse, they’ve got decent toilets (with paper!) and the heating works in the clubhouse. Alcohol is cheap enough because they buy it from a supermarket and don’t mark it up plus they make a weapons grade fruit punch which is cheap and knocks you out for the night. There’ll be a big fire outside from Friday evening until Sunday morning for those that insist on drinking outside and everyone is friendly.

We’ll be getting the Wednesday night ferry from Harwich, riding to somewhere near the Danish border before stopping in a hotel for the night then a steady ride gets you to the town nearest the rally around lunchtime on Friday. This year we set off at about 11am on Sunday morning, stopped just south of Bremen in a really nice hotel then got up and rode back to Harwich to get the afternoon ferry and back in the UK early Monday evening.

It’s good fun and it’s all you can do to stop the club members from buying you drinks all the time because having British riders attend their rally is a big deal for them so it’d be good to get a couple more turn up.

How do you keep warm riding over there in January, serious question. Sounds great otherwise.

What bike are taking 1150 or 501?

How do you keep warm riding over there in January, serious question. Sounds great otherwise.

What bike are taking 1150 or 501?

he's spent so much time in the belly of a nuclear submarine that he is radioactive

I’ve not made my mind up which bike to take and it really depends on the weather because if it’s seriously cold and likely to precipitate in one way or another using the GS is a no brainer but simply cold and dry(ish) I’ll probably take the 501 otherwise there’s no point in having it.

I’ll book the ferry sometime in the next few weeks but it’s going to be a fixed crossing on the Wednesday evening then a flexible one for the return so I can change my plans if I feel like it.

Keeping warm on the bike is easy enough, just use merino wool layers and keep dry. I’ve also got a British Army issue dew liner that would have anyone sweating like a rapist in a convent no matter what the ambient temperature.

I am going to see if I can reschedule the work I have booked for that period. If I can, I will organise my ferry crossing etc and let you know.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I am going to see if I can reschedule the work I have booked for that period. If I can, I will organise my ferry crossing etc and let you know.

You know how to contact me so just let me know if you’re coming. It’ll be great, camping in winter is always great 😀

I had to google ....Dew liner.......You can wear it down too minus 40......:eek:

I had to google ....Dew liner.......You can wear it down too minus 40......:eek:

Heck, you can wear anything at minus 40, including a T-shirt and a shoe-string (but you will freeze your ass of :D)

There are now 5 of us going, leaving on the Wednesday night and returning Monday afternoon. If you want somewhere to sleep Monday night before going home Tuesday morning then look no further, we’ve got plenty of room and it won’t be in the garden.

Ferry booked for Wednesday night, returning Monday afternoon. Just have to look out all my kit and make an appointment at the Doctors to have my head examined

Good effort!

I’ve replied to your pm and once I’ve got your email address we’ll add you to the infamous winter rally mailing list that’s been the downfall of several who should have known better :beerjug:

Tempting Johnny! Norway is a bit far for the old GS though. Plus, my subs for the silly buggers club need renewing! Have fun! :D

Back
Top Bottom