Advice - Scotland?

Wot he said - Inverness is a great base and if you book early enough there is a huge range of accommodation.

But I would think Inverness is OK, I live here. In terms of evening entertainment things are definitely on the up - there are some great places to eat and have an ale - MacGregors on Academy street (owned by one of Blazing Fiddles so loads of impromptu sessions), Hootennanny has become an institution due to it's great atmosphere and dedication to traditional music. The Black Isle bar had about 15 different ales (some cask, some keg) when I was there earlier in the week, and the Cairngorm Brewery are working hard to completely re do the old Rose Street foundry building - a project which we have high hopes for. There's a great little whisky bar near the Victorian Market which I'm quite fond of too.

Loads of restaurants to choose from, but book early at weekends because the poor impoverished locals have developed a taste for great food, even if for the rest of the week they have to sit outside Weatherspoons begging for loose change to pay for it all.

If you want to see what utter bullshit that bloke from the Wirral is spouting, take a look at the North Coast 500 website, even if you're not interested in doing it, the pictures will give you an idea of what it's like up here. I could go on (and on) but really, look at the figures - Scotland is a great tourist destination and is seeing numbers rise, despite a lack of infrastructure spending. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-44902282

I've been exploring this land for 26 years on my bike, and I'm still not bored...

Interesting,I didn't know of the regeneration of the old Rose Street Foundry,and I would agree on what Inverness has to offer as a base

Wot he said - Inverness is a great base and if you book early enough there is a huge range of accommodation.

But I would think Inverness is OK, I live here. In terms of evening entertainment things are definitely on the up - there are some great places to eat and have an ale - MacGregors on Academy street (owned by one of Blazing Fiddles so loads of impromptu sessions), Hootennanny has become an institution due to it's great atmosphere and dedication to traditional music. The Black Isle bar had about 15 different ales (some cask, some keg) when I was there earlier in the week, and the Cairngorm Brewery are working hard to completely re do the old Rose Street foundry building - a project which we have high hopes for. There's a great little whisky bar near the Victorian Market which I'm quite fond of too.

Loads of restaurants to choose from, but book early at weekends because the poor impoverished locals have developed a taste for great food, even if for the rest of the week they have to sit outside Weatherspoons begging for loose change to pay for it all.

If you want to see what utter bullshit that bloke from the Wirral is spouting, take a look at the North Coast 500 website, even if you're not interested in doing it, the pictures will give you an idea of what it's like up here. I could go on (and on) but really, look at the figures - Scotland is a great tourist destination and is seeing numbers rise, despite a lack of infrastructure spending. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-44902282

I've been exploring this land for 26 years on my bike, and I'm still not bored...

Those are good pubs and yes, high hopes for the new one. Pity Blackfriars closed down, I liked it and they had good beer and music but maybe just stuck in the 70's too much to tempt folk to come down the street.

I think with the Cairngorm Brewery, The Phoenix (not quite right, but the bar is OK and has real ale) and MacGregor's now pretty well established - it was v. busy last Sunday - all nearby, maybe the Blackfriars will reopen. The Black Isle bar is going great guns and the pizzas are good. I think they must have a new brewer, the beer has improved a great deal.

Sorry, slight digression from the OP's question. Apologies.

I think with the Cairngorm Brewery, The Phoenix (not quite right, but the bar is OK and has real ale) and MacGregor's now pretty well established - it was v. busy last Sunday - all nearby, maybe the Blackfriars will reopen. The Black Isle bar is going great guns and the pizzas are good. I think they must have a new brewer, the beer has improved a great deal.

Sorry, slight digression from the OP's question. Apologies.

To digress even further, a festive pint could be in order in one or all of the pubs mentioned sometime next week. Not sure how many folk are close enough and fancy a pint?

To digress even further, a festive pint could be in order in one or all of the pubs mentioned sometime next week. Not sure how many folk are close enough and fancy a pint?

I would be up for that but could only manage tomorrow or the 26th, as off down to Glasgow on the 27th for a few days then the Isle of Bute for New Year.

Phoenix well established! I should say so! It was one of 'the' places to go 30 years ago! That, The Crit and Cummings hotel!

I should think the OP has some fair ideas now...I still think that Fort Augustus is a good bet.

Like the idea of a pint, but working through Christmas looking after folk in the house....bunch of Fifers too....eeeyuk! :D

A small group of us have been going up for years around april - may time to beat the midges , usually doing the west coast. This year we got to the isles of harris and lewis and if you want to get away from it all and see some great scenery i can recommend it. The best trip ever.

Not entirely and no crossing of swords. I'm merely being my usual helpful self. I'm not a big fan of The Fort and as for it being run down, you have to remember how much Westminster steals from our economy.
In fact much of the state of the Highlands today is the result of greed and mismanagement by absent, foreign landlords.

Points deducted for not saying "Wasteminster."

Hope all is well with you.

If see you're peddling the Unionist narrative still, Gerard. Have you heard of the Highland Clearances by any chance?

Over 150 years ago FFS, largely carried out by hereditary landowners, who previously were Gaelic Scots Clan chiefs

I would be up for that but could only manage tomorrow or the 26th, as off down to Glasgow on the 27th for a few days then the Isle of Bute for New Year.[/QUOTE

Need to be later in the week for me I'm afraid - Glasgow for the next two nights!

I must admit l like the Moray coast Gardenstown then further along lots of little towns, friendly pubs and folks. Oh schtum it was your friend Sturgeon pals the EU who mucked up my Industry and more or less gutted it not the English who were our best customers at PD. Also it was the Geordies in the shipyards who gave my mums grandfather Donald Cormack from Freswick work when the hieland chiefs decided to grow wool.

Love Fort William and return every year for the trial, and always camp or sty in a pod here
https://www.glen-nevis.co.uk
Scotland is stunning in my opinion, I,d head west and once north of Glasgow it’s a great drive car or bike. Glencoe at sunset will sty with me forever!

Back
Top Bottom