Battery charging

Victor c

Reaction score
Learnt something new this week.

Not used my bike for a few weeks and remembered that last time I shut it down and removed my Nav v, that I forgot to power it down fully when removed, so it stayed in standby mode.
Anyway, as it was showing 1/4 charge when I powered it up the other night, I decided to use my IPad charger to charge it up. On switching on the charger, I then powered the unit down, only to find in the morning it had not taken any charge. Thinking I had a duff battery, I started to google for a replacement. It was then that I discovered the following:

1 - it will only take a charge from a wall charger when the Nav is switched on
2 - if you use a computer to charge it, Garmin Express must be running for it to charge
3 - I did not find a genuine or aftermarket replacement anywhere on the net

Hope this helps someone

Mark

On the advice of others here, I thought I’d better keep the Nav v battery tip top even when it’s sat in the drawer. So with that I connected the Nav to an iPad charger with a USB lead and switched off the Nav. 4 hours later no charge.

Saw the post above - Switched the Nav on this time and started charging again, but clicked the button on the back to sleep the screen only. Hey presto full charge.

You have to charge with the Nav on. Garmin engineers - always having a little joke.

After seeing how difficult it is to source a Nav V battery, will be looking after this one. Also noticed that if the battery is low, and the same with the Cardo headset, they can play up a bit and either not connect fully, or the media player will will not play tracks.

Thinl all sat navs require about a 2A source to charge properly, more so if switched on..

Back
Top Bottom